Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Yegor Rykov

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Devils fans were so convinced that he would never come over at the time of the trade

Some were still hoping that as of Thursday.

What a logjam at D though... it's not a bad problem to have since we really need to fix our back end but this is a lot to handle. I wonder what they're thinking, what the plan is.

Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Skjei, Staal
Fox, DeAngelo, Pionk, Shattenkirk
Smith who can play both sides.

We have a lot of moving pieces, or potential to move pieces. Some need to move pieces. And seeing who we get at #2 will influence some of that I'd imagine.

But the reality is that we're currently set to pay $20.3M cap to Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Girardi this season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Why is he not verified? How bizarre. Anyhow I hope this is true because I've been skeptical of Rykov. Would be great to get to see what the rangers really have here. Also smart of Rykov to get in amongst it sooner rather than later. Lots of prospects. It's like a steel cage match.
I think the blue checkmark goes away if you change your name or something? Not sure.

Reactions: egelband

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Brady is going
I think he might.
Staal
Hajek
Lindgren
Rykov

And then sign a veteran as insurance. That’s what I would do. Brady’s got a ton of value. May not be top end value. But he’s a youngish 3 all day long, and he’s got a deal that extends another 4/5 years. That’s hella valuable to a lot of teams in the league. Think teams who have a hard time signing or getting guys to resign longterm and are either contenders now, or should be/need to be/want to be.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
And watch hajek playing more and more top pairing minutes (alongside trouba (jk-who knows) as the season goes. In the same way Brady is a 3 maybe a 2 playing up because of need/lack of depth, I think hajek will see the same treatment if he shows he can handle it. I think that kind of stuff is good for a defensemen development and his career. Like don’t hesitate from using a young deman you think longterm is this or that, in situations above his head bc I think getting thrown into the fire and having to play against other teams best, will help a guy down the road if/when he slots down in the line-up.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
To me this is the best case long term scenario.

Beginning this year you see

Hajek
Rykov/lindgren
Lindgren/Rykov

And down the road (2-3-4 years down) its
Miller
Hajek
Lindgren

And you move Rykov (assuming he doesn’t blow past guys) optimally, lindgren makes it as a steady reliable dman and a huge part of the TEAM. He’s one kid I’m really hoping makes it with us. Even if he’s a long term 4/5.

Last edited:
Reactions: belford222

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Crazy to think that in a few years time m. The rangers May be trading young players everyone likes and thinks has a great career ahead of them bc there aren’t lineup spots

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
To me this is the best case long term scenario.

Beginning this year you see

Hajek
Rykov/lindgren
Lindgren/Rykov

And in the end you have
Miller
Hajek
Lindgren

And you move Rykov (assuming he doesn’t blow past guys) optimally, lindgren makes it as a steady reliable dman and a huge part of the TEAM. He’s one kid I’m really hoping makes it with us. Even if he’s a long term 4/5.

1. There's a 0% chance Miller plays in the NHL this season because it would be bad asset management
2. Why are we moving Rykov?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Very good news. Hajak and Rykov should compete for a spot in camp, with the usual suspects I recon.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Assuming Hajek is on the short list for the NHL roster (which I think he is), and all RFAs are signed, we're looking at 10 D on the roster.

Skjei, Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith, Pionk, ADA, Fox, Hajek, Rykov, Claesson

Waiver exempt - Hajek, Fox, Rykov

...something's gotta give.

Reactions: Rangers743

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Assuming Hajek is on the short list for the NHL roster (which I think he is), and all RFAs are signed, we're looking at 10 D on the roster.

With the addition of both Fox and Rykov, I think it's almost certain we won't see Claesson return. Who else is on the way out? Smith? Hopefully. Staal? God, I hope so but unlikely. Shattenkirk? Probably the most likely

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Could he be a Vince Dunn type? Maybe little less offense ?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Some were still hoping that as of Thursday.

What a logjam at D though... it's not a bad problem to have since we really need to fix our back end but this is a lot to handle. I wonder what they're thinking, what the plan is.

Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Skjei, Staal
Fox, DeAngelo, Pionk, Shattenkirk
Smith who can play both sides.

We have a lot of moving pieces, or potential to move pieces. Some need to move pieces. And seeing who we get at #2 will influence some of that I'd imagine.

But the reality is that we're currently set to pay $20.3M cap to Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith and Girardi this season.

The money part of it is the least of it unless the team is planning on going super hard into unrestricted free agency. I would try to sign Panarin and if accomplishing that I would stop right there. To me paying Smith $4.35 to be a bottom pairing defensemen or a 4th line forward or a scratch and maybe blocking someone like Rykov or Hajek from making the team means he has to go some way or other and soon.

I would move Shattenkirk too. Too many similar skillsets and you should go with the younger cheaper players especially if you have an older declining vet who has not lived up to expectations. I'd probably move Pionk too--not that I hate him but we need someone dissimilar on the right--a bigger and more defensive minded (and hopefully more physical) presence that can be depended on in defensive and penalty kill situations. Staal I think has a full NMC and is not going to be easy to move. Any case he is the left side bigger defensive presence. Overpaid for sure but I think we're going to be going another year with him. Maybe buy out his last year next summer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Crazy to think that in a few years time m. The rangers May be trading young players everyone likes and thinks has a great career ahead of them bc there aren’t lineup spots
This is why the smart GM always goes best player available. The key is to get NHL players. Once you have them, you will find someone who doesn't. A young Dman like Skjei is pretty valuable. Even more so to a team where he slots in properly as a 3-4 instead of a 1-2. You might see them in the top 10 for a second pick if they play this right.

Reactions: NernieBichols

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With the addition of both Fox and Rykov, I think it's almost certain we won't see Claesson return. Who else is on the way out? Smith? Hopefully. Staal? God, I hope so but unlikely. Shattenkirk? Probably the most likely

I think it's going to be all like that. I like Claesson but he's a spare D and he's going to be 27 years old. I like Smith's edge but he takes chances he shouldn't and he's not disciplined. It's not Staal's fault with the injuries he's had but he's one dimensional--when he keeps everything simple he can be effective. It's an awful price tag for what he brings though. Shattenkirk's also on a decline and his size, style isn't unlike Fox, DeAngelo and Pionk. He's the oldest and making more money than those three others combined and declining and the slowest. I think he's movable though especially if we retain half. Shattenkirk at 50% and the 58OA to Pittsburgh for this year's first--21OA? Rutherford loves vets and just might be dumb enough to do it because he thinks his team is better than it actually is. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise if you're a Penguins fan?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

If you don't qualify Claesson and send down Rykov that makes 8.

But you figure Lindgren is in the mix as well. Smith is waiveable, but the coaches like him.

Ideally, Pionk is moved, Staal is the extra and Smith is waived.

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Hajek-ADA
Rykov/Lindgren-Fox

Staal.

Thats if we don't add another RHD. If we do, replace Shattenkirk with that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad