Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Tony DeAngelo [2Y/4.8M AAV] Mod post #120

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We can probably not afford his next contract if he is a generational talent like Erling Braut Haaland and a breakthrough season in a few weeks, but then again we could move Panarin contract we dont need him here. We are too far away from a Stanley cup final away. :)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

there’s that high qualifying offer that all the kids are asking for these days. That’s the key to the deal and why he’d be willing to take a little less. Im sure the win was to get that high second year. His next contract basically starts with a 6 minimum.

It also most likely means he’ll be dealt not this year but in 2022. Unless he forces the Rangers to keep him with how amazing his play is. I’d be surprised. I’d think Fox would take that top pp role at that point

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i don’t think this is correct. Formula for qualifying offers was changed this year. Experts?

I don't recall any changes to the QO formula in the MOU. Normally, it's 100% of last year salary for 1 mil or more. Maybe they increased that limit, but that wouldn't affect ADA.

Edit: No, you were right. They did change it. But if I'm reading the below correctly, his QO will still be 5.3 mil.

RFA rules: Arbitration, Qualifying Offers and negotiations with no end date

A Qualifying Offer follows a set formula for amount, and type. Teams are not choosing the amount; rather, it is calculated on the base salary at a range of 100% - 110% depending on the salary amount. For all contracts signed after the implementation of the new CBA Memo of Understanding, the maximum QO is 120% of the AAV of the prior deal. This is not retroactive.

AAV is 4.8 mil. 120% of that is 5.76 mil, so I think his QO will be 5.3, since that's his actual salary in 2021-22. If his salary was 6 mil with a 4.8 AAV, then 5.76 would be the max QO.

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Guess who’s mother f***ing back.

Wow is DeAngelo ever a team player, man. BIG TIME discount. I mean, 4.8?? I would give him 6 at least for two years. f*** man, if only they signed him to a long-term deal. AGAIN, they’re going to regret this, like I said they would regret not signing him to a long-term deal when his first contract was up. That is, if DeAngelo was willing to accept one.

But I don’t care right now because he’s staying. Party time for me.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Here's the MOU update re: QO's, as it's relevant b/c DeAngelo signed this after they NHL/NHLPA agreed to the MOU. @bobbop @GAGLine
eGNtfLX.png

DeAngelo's final year of salary is $5.3M.

4.8M AAV * 1.2 = 5.76M

5.3M < 5.76M

Therefore, his QO will be 5.3M

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i don’t think this is correct. Formula for qualifying offers was changed this year. Experts?

so the new rule is that if the QO based on the final year would be more than 120% of the AAV, then it is 120% of the AAV. 120% of 4.8 mil is 5.76 so the qualifying offer is 5.3. The calculation now is dependent on how drastic the year over year salary change is which is hard in a 2 year deal but over a longer deal could be a factor

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Hopefully Strome will fall in line and take the same deal, then 1.5 x 2 for Lemmy, and we're in good shape.

If Stromer takes the same deal, then we can "keep the band together" for two seasons and wait out dead cap.
Not bad. We can creep into the playoff picture with this group, sans injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad