Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Michael Joly (AHL contract)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
the real question is why dont we take gambles like this with right handed people... we have like 0 right handed shots

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
the real question is why dont we take gambles like this with right handed people... we have like 0 right handed shots
I think they're trying, Stromwall is a righty shot, but yes they should be looking to load up on righty shots with offensive upside and right D as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think they're trying, Stromwall is a righty shot, but yes they should be looking to load up on righty shots with offensive upside and right D as well.

Adam Chapie is also a righty. Chris McCarthy and Ryan Haggerty are righties. They're taking chances on these players hoping that they'll turn into something. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trade to bring in a right-handed forward either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have the same feeling as with Chapie. I rather have a kid who still has to prove whether or not he can make it than a player who has already shown he can't (St. Croix, Nicholls, Kantor etc)

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Adam Chapie is also a righty. Chris McCarthy and Ryan Haggerty are righties. They're taking chances on these players hoping that they'll turn into something. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trade to bring in a right-handed forward either.
That's right, forgot about Chapie. They also finally signed Fogarty so they are getting more righty's into the system.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm not sure why Adam Chapie got an NHL contract, but Joly only an AHL deal. Chapie will be 25 this summer, how much more growth will he show? It's not as if he was some overwhelmingly dominant player in college. Doesn't have great stats or great size, maybe he's a defensive wizard, who knows, but when was the last time a 25-year-old worked out?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not sure why Adam Chapie got an NHL contract, but Joly only an AHL deal. Chapie will be 25 this summer, how much more growth will he show? It's not as if he was some overwhelmingly dominant player in college. Doesn't have great stats or great size, maybe he's a defensive wizard, who knows, but when was the last time a 25-year-old worked out?

Apparently they see something in these guys. Chapie showed enough to earn an NHL deal. Joly, like Nejezchleb, is on an AHL contract. If they manage to do enough to earn an NHL deal, good for them. If not, it doesn't hurt

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This reminds me of Marchessault

88 points this season. Marchessault had 95 although if I recall, his Quebec team was prety good. He also was not traded like Joly was. FYI, Marchessault is 5'9 but he plays above his size and has found a home playing in TB. His speed and tenacity have made him a valuable piece.

Still angry this organization let him go to Columbus (and then subsequently traded to TB).

Hopefully he comes in and helps the 'Pack first and gets himself a NHL deal.

We made JAM an offer but he chose to go to Columbus instead, probably because he saw an easier path to the NHL.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
He got traded to the local Junior team this season and played unreal during his time here. Try not to get too excited about a 20 year old undrafted player ripping up the Q though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Because the Rangers are bidding against other teams. If another team offered Chapie an NHL contract, he isn't going to sign an AHL contract with us. Simple supply and demand.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No, no one should get too excited about him, particularly given he's on an AHL deal and not even our property. But he'll certainly be an interesting guy to follow next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I asked NA Scouting who is one of the most knowledgeable QMJHL posters on HF about Jolly, and here was his response.

Hi Pavel,

I can tell you a lot about Michael, having watched him play a ton during his junior career. The main thing with him is strength, he needs to gain muscle in order to be able to compete at the next level. As a goal scorer, and a player who loves to go to the dirty areas, he will not succeed without adding a lot of strength.

He is not a shifty skater, but not the fastest, though that improves every year with him. He is a great stickhandler, which can sometime make you forget about his skating because he looks so nifty with the puck. Great shooting skills, obviously, he can score from anywhere in the offensive zone. Very dangerous player, should always be put on a scoring line with skilled (and strong) guys.

Twice he scored more than 40 goals in the Q, including this season where he got 47. He was also key in the playoffs with Rimouski when they went all the way, scoring a lot of timely (clutch) goals last year.

Potential? Well it is hard to say. He has a lot of stuff to work on. We know pro coaches like responsible two-way guys, but Joly is really more offensive-ortiented. He definitely has the skills to succeed, and he has a great work ethic. He was invited to BUF and TOR camp before, and never got signed. With NYR, I hope he does well. You know never with these guys.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Because the Rangers are bidding against other teams. If another team offered Chapie an NHL contract, he isn't going to sign an AHL contract with us. Simple supply and demand.

Supply and demand makes no requirement that we actually sign him. If another team wants to give an NHL contract to a 25 year old who never played a minute of pro hockey, then let them have him. I'd rather give this contract to an established AHLer like Megna who will at least help the Pack and can take sheltered NHL minutes when injuries hit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Supply and demand makes no requirement that we actually sign him. If another team wants to give an NHL contract to a 25 year old who never played a minute of pro hockey, then let them have him. I'd rather give this contract to an established AHLer like Megna who will at least help the Pack and can take sheltered NHL minutes when injuries hit.

They have more than enough spots to take a gamble on someone like Chapie if they really like him and still fill out the the organizational rosters. They signed him because they see something there, evidently. I don't know what other answer you'd be looking for.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
They have more than enough spots to take a gamble on someone like Chapie if they really like him and still fill out the the organizational rosters. They signed him because they see something there, evidently. I don't know what other answer you'd be looking for.

Honestly I'd like the Pack to make the playoffs one of these years and given the lack of prospects, we're going to need AHL vets. They missed it 3 out of the last 4 years, and won a total of 2 rounds (both in the same year) in the last 10 years. Signing more guys like Chris McCarthy probably won't get us there. But who knows.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Honestly I'd like the Pack to make the playoffs one of these years and given the lack of prospects, we're going to need AHL vets. They missed it 3 out of the last 4 years, and won a total of 2 rounds (both in the same year) in the last 10 years. Signing more guys like Chris McCarthy probably won't get us there. But who knows.

It's not like they haven't signed vets. They just haven't signed good ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad