Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Michael Joly (AHL contract)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
LOL people complaint about size. I wonder if the same people complaining about that now a days were complaining when they offered Zuccarello a contract.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
LOL people complaint about size. I wonder if the same people complaining about that now a days were complaining when they offered Zuccarello a contract.

I mean it's just absurd. If you think someone has NHL-caliber offensive potential you don't not sign them because they're a hair under six-foot. Honestly, who knows what the team looks like in a few years? We could have a team of giant brutes and be in desperate need of a skill guy.

It's the same reason you don't draft based on need, but go BPA (generally speaking). There's no telling what the future holds. You don't acquire prospects based on what the NHL team needs today when the prospects won't be ready for a couple seasons or more.

Regardless of that, this is an AHL deal and he's not even Rangers property. For all we know he could leave to go sign somewhere else, like Marchessault.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yay yet another smurf as if we didn't have enough.

They don't give out high scoring prospects with size and defensive awareness for free. Obviously if a guy never got drafted, he has flaws. Personally, I'd rather get a guy who scored 58 goals in 73 games, but has size issues than a big guy with stone hands. Your next question is, "why do we have to choose, why not have a big guy who scores 60 goals and one who's not an overager?" Because that guy would've been drafted in the top-5, he wouldn't have been available for us to sign as an undrafted free agent.

Say what you will about JAM, and it did take him longer than expected, but the kid has now made a Cup-contending team in the NHL and scored .4 points per game as a defensively-responsible player. I'll gladly take that from Joly.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Low risk move, the kid seems to have some goal scoring touch.

Hartford could use some guys with skill and scoring ability, outside of Tambo it seems everyone else on that team is a grinder.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Low risk move, the kid seems to have some goal scoring touch.

Hartford could use some guys with skill and scoring ability, outside of Tambo it seems everyone else on that team is a grinder.

Hartford will also be adding Nieves full time (assuming he wins a spot), and potentially guys like Kovacs and Stromwall. Gropp is a possibility as well.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Any confirmation on whether it's an AHL deal or an NHL deal and for now long?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yay yet another smurf as if we didn't have enough.

5'11" 175 is a smurf?

images

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Any confirmation on whether it's an AHL deal or an NHL deal and for now long?
Translated from the link in OP.

Twitter : According to reports Jean-François Plante, Québec striker Michael Joly, signed an entry agreement with the New York Rangers. The 21-year-old has just completed his final season in the QMJHL, it was never drafted into the NHL. He had also received an invitation to camp last assessment Maple Leafs.

He has spent four seasons with the Rimouski Oceanic, but finished last with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. With this team, he has shown a record of 33 goals and 30 assists for 63 points in 39 games. The contract guaranteed him a salary of the American League even if it is sold in the ECHL.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JOgYN5lZs

Nice hands, yet another prospect who's game exists from the top of the circle to the net. Opportunistic scorer. Good skater, good bursts of speed but not speedy, really good at shielding the puck from defenders and along the boards, but does have balance issues at times. Was at the Leafs rookie camp last year.

^ Agreed with this. Like the move.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Hartford will also be adding Nieves full time (assuming he wins a spot), and potentially guys like Kovacs and Stromwall. Gropp is a possibility as well.
The more the better, that team needs a serious injection of youth and skill.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's an interesting prospect.

His hands, creativity and overall offensive instincts rate very high.

The knocks on him were usually his defense, skating and consistency.

I think the skating will be the biggest thing to watch. It'll be interesting to see if it holds him back from getting into the areas he utilizes to showcase his strengths.

Low risk with a potentially solid return.

I was susprised the Leafs didn't sign him when he was in their camp.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can always use more offensive potential down in Hartford. Like Beacon said, I'd rather have the kid with skill and hope his size isn't an issue rather than the big oaf with no hand-eye coordination.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This reminds me of Marchessault

88 points this season. Marchessault had 95 although if I recall, his Quebec team was prety good. He also was not traded like Joly was. FYI, Marchessault is 5'9 but he plays above his size and has found a home playing in TB. His speed and tenacity have made him a valuable piece.

Still angry this organization let him go to Columbus (and then subsequently traded to TB).

Hopefully he comes in and helps the 'Pack first and gets himself a NHL deal.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean it's just absurd. If you think someone has NHL-caliber offensive potential you don't not sign them because they're a hair under six-foot. Honestly, who knows what the team looks like in a few years? We could have a team of giant brutes and be in desperate need of a skill guy.

It's the same reason you don't draft based on need, but go BPA (generally speaking). There's no telling what the future holds. You don't acquire prospects based on what the NHL team needs today when the prospects won't be ready for a couple seasons or more.

Regardless of that, this is an AHL deal and he's not even Rangers property. For all we know he could leave to go sign somewhere else, like Marchessault.

Agreed. The player that caused us the most havoc in the first round was Conor Sheary. You know, the guy that is an absolute giant at 5'8.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think a lot of successful teams look at strength and style more than size.

If opponents can't hit a certain player, than size really doesn't matter. If said player doesn't have the skating, agility or awareness to avod hits, size does become a bit more of an issue.

I'll take a guy who can put the puck in the net, generate offense or otherwise serve in a criticual role any day of the week. I'm interested in that more than anything else.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
On a team full of distributors, the more finishers we have in the system the better. Go to the dirty areas and keep your stick on the ice. Low-risk move. I like it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
also, really, the kid is taking Shawn O'Donnell's contract slot, I'd call that low-cost, low-risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad