Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign K'Andre Miller

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not saying their defense is good. Not saying I’d trade any of them for Miller (not even close, I said right above how exciting his potential is). But Hajek and Rykov have played pro hockey for several years now.

They struggled in the pros for a time, while Miller struggled in college for a time. As it stands right now, both are better defenseman than Miller, by a decent amount.
Maybe, maybe not. For Rykov, playing professionally in the KHL doesn't necessarily mean anything about your ability to play in North America, so I'm unmoved by that. And while Hajek is a second year pro, he looks to me like he had taken a step backwards. So, I don't know, I think Miller's game is currently better--or at least as good.

Unfortunately, we may have to wait until next season to find out.

Reactions: Kupo

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Maybe, maybe not. For Rykov, playing professionally in the KHL doesn't necessarily mean anything about your ability to play in North America, so I'm unmoved by that. And while Hajek is a second year pro, he looks to me like he had taken a step backwards. So, I don't know, I think Miller's game is currently better--or at least as good.

Unfortunately, we may have to wait until next season to find out.

You could probably argue K’Andre took a step back too, no?

Either way, yes we have a long wait to find out unfortunately. Really hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You could probably argue K’Andre took a step back too, no?

Either way, yes we have a long wait to find out unfortunately. Really hope you’re right and I’m wrong.
I think he had a rough start to the year, but finished strongly. And I think has the program not collapsed around him, it wouldn't have seemed as bad as it did.

He didn't make a lot of progress this year. I don't think he actively got worse, though.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
As someone who doesn't get to see college hockey, can someone shed light on what's been happening at Wisconsin?

From reports and general chatter I was under the impression he was developing well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As someone who doesn't get to see college hockey, can someone shed light on what's been happening at Wisconsin?

From reports and general chatter I was under the impression he was developing well
Wisconsin came into the season really highly-regarded. They had Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, Miller, some other good guys like Emberson, Lindmark, Ess, etc. And then they proceeded to get their shit kicked in every night. They finished last in the Big Ten. Their second to last game, against OSU, they lost 9-1.

Not a whole lot of guys looked good. Miller struggled big time early, but IMO turned it around after the WJC and finished well. In general it was just a bad year for basically everyone other than Caufield, and the coach Tony Granato should be on thin ice.

There was a story from The Athletic that I posted a week or two back and it had stuff about Miller, how he struggled with classes, how he said academics is second to playing hockey, others said he wasn't interested in his degree, just hockey, etc. So with his disinterest in school and a bad Wisconsin program, it seemed like an inevitability.

If he were in a better program, maybe he'd do another year, who knows.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

His grades. Struggling with his studies.

Reactions: Allan92

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Wisconsin came into the season really highly-regarded. They had Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, Miller, some other good guys like Emberson, Lindmark, Ess, etc. And then they proceeded to get their shit kicked in every night. They finished last in the Big Ten. Their second to last game, against OSU, they lost 9-1.

Not a whole lot of guys looked good. Miller struggled big time early, but IMO turned it around after the WJC and finished well. In general it was just a bad year for basically everyone other than Caufield, and the coach Tony Granato should be on thin ice.

Wow holy shit that's a good team, what the hell happened? Injuries or just poor play?

9-1 is no joke

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How has this become public knowledge? I would have thought that's confidential?

Thanks for the insight as well
He was suspended for a game to start the year. No reason given, but Granato said it was routine stuff.

If you go to the Miller thread that we had, a couple pages from the end I posted quotes from The Athletic article where he talked about how he didn't like school. The article said he struggled with classes more than his teammates. And one of the academic helpers, she said his focus wasn't on finishing school, but hockey.

Makes the suspension seem like it was almost certainly due to grades or skipping class or something. He didn't want to be a student, just wants to play for the Rangers.

EDIT: Here's my summary on the Miller stuff in The Athletic.

Article in The Athletic about Wisconsin. Focused on guys like Turcotte, Caufield, and Miller. The article says three of the four classes Miller takes are online, and that he struggles with his class work more than most guys on the team. He's also at the rink more than all the other guys. He's only there to play hockey. Miller says this:

“I struggle to stay motivated. I don’t know. I love hockey. It’s kind of bad to say but I feel like school is always second to hockey. It’s just getting by in school and doing whatever I need to do to make it (to New York).”

Then they talk to and about this woman who works in an academic center, and helps the guys a lot. Here's that part:

"Part of the reason Miller is in such a heavy online course load is because she worries he’s going to leave at the end of the season and she thinks she can convince him to finish those classes when he’s in New York.
“K’Andre is torn between his two worlds,” she says. “He does struggle with it. My goal is for him to get as far into his undergraduate as he can. I don’t think that’s his goal but that’s OK.”

He hasn't picked a major. He's not into the coursework. He isn't into being a student. He wants to play hockey. I think that if the Rangers offer him a contract he is 100% done with college.

Behind the scenes with the Wisconsin Badgers' future NHL...

The whole article puts Wisconsin in a less than flattering light.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
He was suspended for a game to start the year. No reason given, but Granato said it was routine stuff.

If you go to the Miller thread that we had, a couple pages from the end I posted quotes from The Athletic article where he talked about how he didn't like school. The article said he struggled with classes more than his teammates. And one of the academic helpers, she said his focus wasn't on finishing school, but hockey.

Makes the suspension seem like it was almost certainly due to grades or skipping class or something. He didn't want to be a student, just wants to play for the Rangers.

EDIT: Here's my summary on the Miller stuff in The Athletic.

That's amazing thank you, gonna go on the athletic now and read that article dunno how I missed it

Thanks for the input guys :thumbu:

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A lot of players have a down year the second year after they are drafted. I guess they feel close to the big time and then have the disappointment of playing down for another year. Mark Staal had the same development curve.

Miller is more than capable of playing in the AHL right now. We’ll have to see about anything higher.

I do wonder if he will go to Hartford on a PTO if/when AHL resumes play. Same for Lundkvist.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
We have full confidence in the information that we tweeted.

Yes, this is a new account, so I can understand the doubts that this account is real as well. Could a mod PM me so I can verify this account please, thanks.

If you tweet "i luv bewbs" when you see this we'll all believe you. No mod required.

Reactions: Kendo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Mark Staal had the same development curve.
Oh god f***ing dammit..

1st Tupac dies. Then Biggy. Then Tom Hanks gets the Coronavirus..

And now K’andre is the next Marc Staal...?!?!

Peace out HFNYR. Was great knowing y’all.

giphy.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I totally, vehemently disagree. You throw him out there right now and he's already better than Geertsen. That pretty much instantly places him in the top six. He'd be better than Taylor, Crawley, and Day, I have no doubt. If we were talking about last year's Hajek, I'd say Hajek is clearly superior. With how Hajek has played this year? Not so sure.

Honestly outside of Raddysh and Ebert I haven't like anyone down there this year. LoVerde can be good, but can also be f***ing awful. Rykov hasn't been that good, whether because of injuries or not. Geertsen is trash. The other spares are trash. I absolutely think Miller could step into that defensive corp and not look out of place. It would take some time to learn the system and the structure, and he would of course make mistakes, but I 100% believe he could keep his head above water. And it's not like I haven't watched him all season.

Hajek and Rykov have both struggled in Hartford this year. Rykov has been banged up pretty good though. It's not been a good year for either. LoVerde is best IMO when he's not asked to contribute a lot to the offense. I think when Keane was moved there was no one who could really take up the slack. One of the main reasons Geertsen is around is to provide some backbone. The AHL can be a nasty league and you do kind of need a tough guy and he is that.

As for Miller. He has the tools--the toolbox has to be worked on. He's played for two straight USA WJC teams. If he's not at all ready to make the jump to the AHL--who is? Keane couldn't make that team two years ago as a 19 year old. Miller made it as an 18. Wisconsin seemed to lose its structure this year but you can't just look at your one guy there and blame it all on him. Miller's first task will be to fit in not become Hartford's best defenseman right off the bat. He's lost interest kind of in his studies and he comes from a single parent background. The money from turning pro might be important too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ve said it before, but I’m not a fan of Miller signing with the Rangers. It is what it is at this point I suppose though - the situation at Wisconsin was evidently pretty bad.

The reps will be great, as will the professional coaching and training. But Miller is not an AHL player right now. This is something that I think most posters here don’t understand. He’s not capable of cracking the Pack’s top 6 as it stands now.

They’ll of course make room for him next year. But there are going to be some serious growing pains. I hope they’re temporary - his physical package is the most unique we’ve had in a prospect since Kreider. I’d argue in that department that Miller is more impressive.
I don’t know why but i get the sense that Miller is more coach-able than Skjei who i view as a similar talent. In a perfect world the coaches tell Miller to dominate the neutral zone and leave it at that.
It does appear that all the Rangers defensemen are being taught to make their presence felt before the attack reaches the blue line. And while they get burned a fair bit, they’ve been improving. And this is where the game is going, defensively.

Reactions: eco's bones

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Sounds like had a meh year but he’s a beast and looking forward to seeing him in camp

Hajek , Rykov , Miller are young and D men so let’s let them keep developing

Lindgren had almost a full year in Hartford and now he’s looking like a keeper

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad