Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Dustin Tokarski to a one-year deal

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know the answer to that. I do remember Steve Valiquette talking about how little experience Georgiev has at the AHL level and how important he believes it to be for starting goalies. That could just be his personal belief/preference, or it could be a reflection of what management is thinking. Either way, I just don't think it's set in stone that Georgiev will be the backup.

It certainly could go either way, depending on how management answer that question. I do think that there is a better chance he starts the year as our backup, but I'm probably biased because I've been saying that since the season ended.

I also think Tokarski is a bottom-tier NHL backup at best. If they want Georgiev to start in the A, then the competition between Mazanec and Tokarski for the spot with the Blueshirts should be a dead heat.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think that the Rangers see Georgiev as an NHLer in 2018-19 or else they would have signed someone with more than 7 NHL appearances in the past 3 seasons for this role. This seems like just barely covering their asses in case Georgous Georg falls on his face.

Reactions: Krams

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think that the Rangers see Georgiev as an NHLer in 2018-19 or else they would have signed someone with more than 7 NHL appearances in the past 3 seasons for this role. This seems like just barely covering their asses in case Georgous Georg falls on his face.
FWIW, when I look at Capfriendly to see UFA goalies who were under contract last season to an NHL team, and who have played more than 7 NHL games in 3 seasons, I'm left with this list: Kari Lehtonen, Steve Mason, Ondrej Pavelec, Jeff Glass, and Anders Lindback. I've read Lehtonen may retire; Steve Mason has been trending down in a big way and had a bunch of injuries last year; Jeff Glass' only 15 games came last year and were terrible; Anders Lindback has been good once in six seasons and didn't play NHL hockey last year; and Pavelec. So really when you see what's out there that's "better" than Tokarski, it's slim pickings. I don't even know if Lehtonen or Mason would even want to play here, in our circumstances. You definitely may yet be right, but IDK.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
FWIW, when I look at Capfriendly to see UFA goalies who were under contract last season to an NHL team, and who have played more than 7 NHL games in 3 seasons, I'm left with this list: Kari Lehtonen, Steve Mason, Ondrej Pavelec, Jeff Glass, and Anders Lindback. I've read Lehtonen may retire; Steve Mason has been trending down in a big way and had a bunch of injuries last year; Jeff Glass' only 15 games came last year and were terrible; Anders Lindback has been good once in six seasons and didn't play NHL hockey last year; and Pavelec. So really when you see what's out there that's "better" than Tokarski, it's slim pickings. I don't even know if Lehtonen or Mason would even want to play here, in our circumstances. You definitely may yet be right, but IDK.
Steve Mason trending down is still a more attractive NHL option than Dustin Tokarski. Pavelec is a reasonable option. And there are other options outside of free agency: Anton Forsberg, Jack Campbell, Al Montoya. I can't speak to the willingness of those free agents to sign here, or the availability of the others, but my instinct is to read this as a sign that the Rangers are bullish on Georgiev being an NHL goalie this fall.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Steve Mason trending down is still a more attractive NHL option than Dustin Tokarski. Pavelec is a reasonable option. And there are other options outside of free agency: Anton Forsberg, Jack Campbell, Al Montoya. I can't speak to the willingness of those free agents to sign here, or the availability of the others, but my instinct is to read this as a sign that the Rangers are bullish on Georgiev being an NHL goalie this fall.
It’s just depth. Tokarski hopes to back up Hank, but he won’t sulk if he has to play in Hartford a while. Kari and Steve would hang them up before doing that. Maybe Montoya too. It’s not a bad signing. I haven’t even heard that Mazanec is healthy yet.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I really don't get this paranoid, fascination with the Rangers stock piling goalie after goalie when they have Georgiev who had a solid, brief NHL showing. They have Huska in the system who I like. Shesterkin who most scouts agree is one of the best goalie prospects in the world. I still think BA can get Halverson up to speed. He's still young. I have no freakin idea why they wasted a second round pick on Lindbom. Either you believe in Shesterkin or you don't. If you do, then drafting goalies in the second round is moronic. Gorton's delusional thinking was you can trade goalies for a lot. Well, last time I checked they didn't get much for Raanta or Talbot. Talbot brought a couple picks. Raanta was basically a throw in. Stepan pretty much brought back the 7th overall pick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really don't get this paranoid, fascination with the Rangers stock piling goalie after goalie when they have Georgiev who had a solid, brief NHL showing. They have Huska in the system who I like. Shesterkin who most scouts agree is one of the best goalie prospects in the world. I still think BA can get Halverson up to speed. He's still young. I have no freakin idea why they wasted a second round pick on Lindbom. Either you believe in Shesterkin or you don't. If you do, then drafting goalies in the second round is moronic. Gorton's delusional thinking was you can trade goalies for a lot. Well, last time I checked they didn't get much for Raanta or Talbot. Talbot brought a couple picks. Raanta was basically a throw in. Stepan pretty much brought back the 7th overall pick.
They have six goalies under contract for six spots--two at each professional level. It's fine. Next year we could conceivably cut bait with Mazanec, Halverson, Nell and Tokarski. Shesterkin comes next year hopefully, Huska probably stays in college four years, Wall we don't even know if he's good, and then Lindbom is years off. So they want to make sure they have adequate professional depth as well as prospect depth, because while Shesterkin sure looks like a sure thing, until he comes over and shows it, we don't know.

Reactions: Off Sides

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Tokarski just seem like the -- perfect -- tanking goalie to me. Think we saw the U18 and went, damn we want one of the top 4 picks... ;)
BINGO! Immediately what I tgought as well. The LAST THING the Rangers should want to do is RUIN the potential that Gorgiev has, and ruin his confidence. That would be a shame. Yes, he could provide some solid goaltending as Hanks backup, but only a seasoned vet like Hank could handle what may just be coming. Who really cares if Tokarski shits the bed, that would be good for where we really want to end up, while NOT hurting George's career.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yup, bringing Mason and Pavelec would be more indicative of the organizational desire to keep Georgiev in the AHL. By signing Tokarski it’s reasonable to guess that Georgiev will get a good chunk of his workload with the Rangers with probably a similar amount of games with Hartford. A total of 45-55 game in all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad