Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Dustin Tokarski to a one-year deal

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think I'd prefer that Gorgeous gets the bulk of the AHL work rather than sitting behind Hank. It's not like Benny doesn't make trips to Hartford, anyway, so the development will be there. That said, I'd have just re-upped Pavs, who I trust to be able to start 20 some odd NHL games more than I do Tokarski. Not going to lose any sleep over the Rangers backup goalie, though.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think I'd prefer that Gorgeous gets the bulk of the AHL work rather than sitting behind Hank. It's not like Benny doesn't make trips to Hartford, anyway, so the development will be there. That said, I'd have just re-upped Pavs, who I trust to be able to start 20 some odd NHL games more than I do Tokarski. Not going to lose any sleep over the Rangers backup goalie, though.

I tend to agree, depending on how many starts they plan on giving him.

If he’s only to get into 20 games, I’d rather let him get the bulk of starts in Hartford.

If the plan is to get him closer to 30 range, I’m more receptive, but would still learn towards letting him get a ton of starts the first half of the year in Hartford and then bring him up around January and as the season grinds on.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Competition in camp. Tokarski isn't a good keeper in the NHL, but isn't bad in the minors. Think the backup spot goes to Mazanec or Georgiev still....

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't understand why people would rather have Georgiev in the AHL. If he has a good to great camp, he's up with the big club. Either have to maximize his value, or he gets a crack to be the starter if Lundqvist's play slips.

I love Lundqvist but this has to be about the long term goal of the team and also salary cap. If Lundqvist is lights out and in the Vezina conversation next year, great, but his recent play the last few years says otherwise. This team has a very good goalie prospect who is here and not overseas and not in the NCAA. He gets the first crack to play. When Shestyorkin gets here and if both him and Georgiev are playing well, that's a good problem to deal with then.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they are going to keep most, if not all the best prospects down maybe they should do the same with Georgiev.

It would be nice to see the AHL team have a really good year. If they are good it would probably be good development for all of them to have a successful AHL season.

If they are not good while they have most, if not all their best prospects there, including have good tending, it's probably time to look into why they are not good. Maybe it was not just Genander?

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
If they are going to keep most, if not all the best prospects down maybe they should do the same with Georgiev.

It would be nice to see the AHL team have a really good year. If they are good it would probably be good development for all of them to have a successful AHL season.

If they are not good while they have most, if not all their best prospects there, including have good tending, it's probably time to look into why they are not good. Maybe it was not just Genander?

I absolutely agree. We’re not winning the cup this year. Make the Pack beastly and teach those kids what’s its like to be in a winning environment en route to the NHL. Let the big club be.... whatever it’s going to be this season... and let the kids grow down there.

Though I’d love Lias and Chytil on the big club, let them tear up the A together for a full season. Won’t hurt.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I absolutely agree. We’re not winning the cup this year. Make the Pack beastly and teach those kids what’s its like to be in a winning environment en route to the NHL. Let the big club be.... whatever it’s going to be this season... and let the kids grow down there.

Though I’d love Lias and Chytil on the big club, let them tear up the A together for a full season. Won’t hurt.

To start the year I think it's possible some prospects may force themselves onto the NHL roster. But I think it would behoove both the prospects and the Rangers to have it be something where they are not giving them a spot, they should have top win it by a fair margin.

As the year goes on, call-ups, injuries and whatnot can influence their NHL time somewhat. If the Rangers sell at the deadline that will also influence it.

Mostly I just hope it plays out organically, there should be no pressure to play the prospects just because they are rebuilding, the reasoning behind playing them at the NHL level should be because they are ready, they are being put in a position to succeed and they are improving at that level. If there is any question marks about being able to do so, then I'd think the AHL is a fine place for them given there are plenty of vets signed and there is little chance of stagnating their development at this point.

Reactions: Rongomania

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't understand why people would rather have Georgiev in the AHL. If he has a good to great camp, he's up with the big club. Either have to maximize his value, or he gets a crack to be the starter if Lundqvist's play slips.

I love Lundqvist but this has to be about the long term goal of the team and also salary cap. If Lundqvist is lights out and in the Vezina conversation next year, great, but his recent play the last few years says otherwise. This team has a very good goalie prospect who is here and not overseas and not in the NCAA. He gets the first crack to play. When Shestyorkin gets here and if both him and Georgiev are playing well, that's a good problem to deal with then.

If playing 50+ games in the AHL is better for him than playing 20-25 games in the NHL, then that's the route to take. I don't know if it is or not, but that's the decision that management has to make. Getting to practice with and get direct instruction from Benny is great, but if he's only playing once every two weeks, that's not great for his development.

Reactions: Off Sides

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
To start the year I think it's possible some prospects may force themselves onto the NHL roster. But I think it would behoove both the prospects and the Rangers to have it be something where they are not giving them a spot, they should have top win it by a fair margin.

As the year goes on, call-ups, injuries and whatnot can influence their NHL time somewhat. If the Rangers sell at the deadline that will also influence it.

Mostly I just hope it plays out organically, there should be no pressure to play the prospects just because they are rebuilding, the reasoning behind playing them at the NHL level should be because they are ready, they are being put in a position to succeed and they are improving at that level. If there is any question marks about being able to do so, then I'd think the AHL is a fine place for them given there are plenty of vets signed and there is little chance of stagnating their development at this point.

Agreed. If someone - or a few - show that they are fully ready, then by all means, play ‘em. As you said, organically, not forced.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Would've been a good choice. I don't think he takes a two-way deal, though. Not like the cap matters this year, yada yada yada.
I guess that they'd only sign someone like Mason if they were truly committed to Georgiev in the AHL. Instead, they signed a tweeter who could realistically fit whether Georgiev is the back up or not.

With Mason, it likely would have been him in the NHL and Mazanec/Georgiev in Hartford.

Now, with Tokarski, I guess it feels more flexible about who will come out of camp in the NHL to start.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I guess that they'd only sign someone like Mason if they were truly committed to Georgiev in the AHL. Instead, they signed a tweeter who could realistically fit whether Georgiev is the back up or not.

With Mason, it likely would have been him in the NHL and Mazanec/Georgiev in Hartford.

Now, with Tokarski, I guess it feels more flexible about who will come out of camp in the NHL to start.
But what if instead of just filling a roster, we signed good players?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Good stability for Hartford. I think Georgie going to take the backup spot, but at least there are more options if they do want him to play heavy minutes in the A. Even if that was the case, I think G would be the main guy if Hank was to go down and Tokarski would still be his backup.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Was Pavelec well-liked in the locker room? The already known thing doesn't matter.

There are two sides to these things. Perhaps Pavelec didn't want to come back. Which is further to say, commenting on this aspect of this is meaningless. This isn't going to have enough of an impact on things to question the particular decision in that way.

I remember some player or announcer saying he was well-liked, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. He never ruffled any feathers at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad