May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hank
Tokarski

Georgiev
Mazanec

Nell
Halverson

Or maybe Georgiev plays lights-out and they waive Tokarski and he plays in Hartford (doubt he'd be claimed, unless someone suffers a goalie shortage).

My thoughts as well. I think Halverson and Nell are cooked as viable prospects for the org, but both guys are under contract and Tokarski lets them fill out the rosters in the event of a surprise. Hartford is really the team that needs to be better this season, so hopefully Georgie can solidify himself as a #1 there and make the jump next year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Georgiev was already better than Tokarski by Xmas last year.

Dustin will be third on the depth chart in training camp. This is an insurance policy and an additional AHL goalie with experience.

If anything, this reaffirms that the job is Georgiev's to lose.

I'm not so sure. They may want Georgiev in the AHL getting lots of games. If so, then they are bringing in Tokarski to provide competition for Mazanec for the backup job.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I'd use him in the Toskala role. Permanent backup. When Hank needs games off call up Georgiev.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hank
Tokarski

Georgiev
Mazanec

Nell
Halverson

Or maybe Georgiev plays lights-out and they waive Tokarski and he plays in Hartford (doubt he'd be claimed, unless someone suffers a goalie shortage).
I’d agree, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Georgiev supplants Tokarski at some point this season. I think another full season in Hartford in front of a deeper team will be good for him.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not so sure. They may want Georgiev in the AHL getting lots of games. If so, then they are bringing in Tokarski to provide competition for Mazanec for the backup job.

Putting aside the team's desire to be competitive; is it better for Georgiev to get twice as many starts in the AHL, or to get 20-25 against NHL competition and be able to work with Allaire every day?

I prefer the latter with regards to his development.

I wouldn't say that he has nothing to learn at the AHL level; he has plenty of warts that still need working. But he is competent in the NHL, and if there has been any year where Hank isn't going to hog the starts, this is it.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
check out the comments on the Twitter announcement :laugh: it's all gifs of Marty going top cheddar on him

guess time will tell what happens with this dude

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Putting aside the team's desire to be competitive; is it better for Georgiev to get twice as many starts in the AHL, or to get 20-25 against NHL competition and be able to work with Allaire every day?

I prefer the latter with regards to his development.

I wouldn't say that he has nothing to learn at the AHL level; he has plenty of warts that still need working. But he is competent in the NHL, and if there has been any year where Hank isn't going to hog the starts, this is it.

Confidence is a huge factor for goalies, so giving him a lot of AHL time wouldn’t be the worst route.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Confidence is a huge factor for goalies, so giving him a lot of AHL time wouldn’t be the worst route.

I suppose. I think if there's one thing this kid doesn't lack though, it's confidence.

Also, if the intention is to play Tokarski in the NHL, then it begs the question: why Tokarski? Pavelec (among others) is still available and he is a much better goalie.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I suppose. I think if there's one thing this kid doesn't lack though, it's confidence.

Also, if the intention is to play Tokarski in the NHL, then it begs the question: why Tokarski? Pavelec (among others) is still available and he is a much better goalie.

One way to destroy that confidence is to have him face NHLers without necessarily being ready to.

Pavelec isn’t a much better goalie than Tokarski... or Mazanec for that matter.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Georgiev gets 22-27 game in the NHL and about the same in the AHL then it should be fine for his development. Whoever will get a chance to PLAY in games that Lundqvist will miss is a back up. If Georgiev gets these games while Tokarski dresses up to sit while Lundqvist in the net then Georgiv is his true backup for all intent and purposes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Georgiev still has to win his spot but yeah I don't think this is a move with the NHL roster specifically in mind

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
One way to destroy that confidence is to have him face NHLers without necessarily being ready to.

Pavelec isn’t a much better goalie than Tokarski... or Mazanec for that matter.

This is definitely not true, but even if it were; why not sign the 'slightly' better goalie who is already known and liked in the dressing room?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The first thing that comes to mind for me is that the Rangers have given up on Halverson and Nell. The second thing that comes to mind is the Rangers want someone or sometwo pushing Georgiev to claim the backup spot. They don't want it to be easy for him. The third thing that comes to mind is the Rangers are going to be buying out a goalie or getting rid of one somehow and it wouldn't be the first time (even if it happened to be Tokarski) that happened.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
This is an interesting idea actually. Never crossed my mind as a possibility.

This would also minimize Georgi's exposure to insHankity, sitting there on the bench experiencing Hank's raging fits this year, if he's only up for the games he's starting.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is definitely not true, but even if it were; why not sign the 'slightly' better goalie who is already known and liked in the dressing room?

Was Pavelec well-liked in the locker room? The already known thing doesn't matter.

There are two sides to these things. Perhaps Pavelec didn't want to come back. Which is further to say, commenting on this aspect of this is meaningless. This isn't going to have enough of an impact on things to question the particular decision in that way.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I don't know the answer to that. I do remember Steve Valiquette talking about how little experience Georgiev has at the AHL level and how important he believes it to be for starting goalies. That could just be his personal belief/preference, or it could be a reflection of what management is thinking. Either way, I just don't think it's set in stone that Georgiev will be the backup.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Halverson is already down the Stajcer / Skapski / Missiaen road, playing out the final year of his ELC. He was scratched as the 3rd goalie in the ECHL playoffs last year.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Signing Pavelec means he's the backup, signing Tokarski means they want 2 solid goalies in Hartford. Some combination of Georgiev, Mazanek and Tokarski accomplishes this. The two older guys are journeymen so I wouldn't pencil in any of them as the backups. Or this is to help with the tank??

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wasn't sold on Georgiev being the NHL backup coming into the year, even before today. Not that I don't think he could be; rather I still think he has plenty to learn and we now also have a full-time goaltending coach for our minor league affiliates. I feel like it would be good for him to get 50+ starts in the AHL.

So, with that said, my thinking was that they'd bring in someone with NHL experience (I was thinking a little more than Tokarski, but still) to ride the pine behind Hank who I believe will still get the lion's share of the starts. So signing Tokarski, I think this is the move that allows that to happen.

I get where people are coming from when they say, "This isn't necessarily an NHL move." Might not be. I think it is, though.

Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad