Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign College UFA Mat Bodie (D - Union)

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
If Bodie was 6'2" and 205lbs with offence skill, who can skate and shoot the puck well. Would he still be playing NCAA hockey at the age of 24? He would be a #1 pick 6 years ago. He has flaws which ever it may be, but to pick up a free agent for nothing. It a good deal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is incorrect and every year I feel I have to say this:

When you sign a player its not just money its TIME invested in that player - organizational man hours. Coaching, management and player personnel spend many hours before during and after signing these players.

And I can go further than that, but simply put, its not just cash, time is valuable too.

Sure--scouts scout, coaches coach, and managers manage. Their interactions with these players before, during and after signing is what they're paid to do. The time is certainly valuable, but investing time on prospects that don't pan out is just part of the business. It would be one thing if we were signing Joe Blow off the street, but this are good kids with solid projections.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Sure--scouts scout, coaches coach, and managers manage. Their interactions with these players before, during and after signing is what they're paid to do. The time is certainly valuable, but investing time on prospects that don't pan out is just part of the business. It would be one thing if we were signing Joe Blow off the street, but this are good kids with solid projections.

But again, the point is its not just about throwing money out the door if it doesn't work out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But again, the point is its not just about throwing money out the door if it doesn't work out.

I understand that, I just don't think the "man hours" lost thing is even worth noting. If these signings somehow made our personnel guys, scouts, coaches, etc., divert their time from their job, I'd buy it. But developing these guys IS their responsibility. It IS their job. Scouting and player development is a constant expense. We spend money on it regardless of whether we sign guys. The only thing "lost" if it doesn't work out for a kid is money, since the man hours are an expense either way.

It's probably semantics though. "Only a waste of money" might be inaccurate overall, but I think people are saying that in the context of our salary cap and reserve list. It's right or wrong, depending on how big you're looking. :laugh:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Flyers fan here.

I watched Bodie a lot while I was keeping an eye on Gostisbehere. There were a lot of times that he was Union's best player, hands down. He moves quick and thinks the game even quicker, and he had the most accurate slap shot that I saw in the NCAA last year. It'll be interesting to see if he can compensate for some of his physical limitations at the next level. If his size doesn't hinder him, he could be a solid puck mover for you guys.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers need to do things to revamp their organization. These are the things you do. I happen to agree with HF's assessment that we're weak in the prospect department and trading away draft picks is not how you're going to get stronger. This is the way to mitigate that. Bodie like McCarthy and Haggerty were counted amongst the most valuable and coveted college free agents this year. Even if only one of them works out to be a good NHL player--then we've struck gold. But the chances are pretty decent that all 3 could turn into good NHL players.

Rangers have been successful with free agents before--Dan Girardi, Mats Zuccarello, Cam Talbot have never played for any other NHL organization. All 3 were keys to our making the playoffs this year. Girardi and Zucc are big time players for us. Talbot came up and help steady the team and won a lot of very important games for us. Conor Allen looks like he'll join them shortly.

The other thing is there are holes these players can fill. I don't expect a number of players back next year that are among our 50 contracts this year--Asham, Powe, Jean, Beach, Haley, Bickel, Stajcer, Missiaen, Wilson--possibly Johnson, Syvret, LeNeveu, Falk with UFA's-Stralman, Boyle, Pouliot, Dominic Moore, Diaz, Carcillo and with which or our prospects turning pro--Donnay? (or back to junior), Duclair, Graves, Skapski and Tambellini (all probably going back to their junior teams) Skjei (probably back to Minnesota U). A lot of players coming off the books and maybe no prospects coming in. Now we have a few of the most highly regarded college kids this year. It's something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad