Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign College UFA Mat Bodie (D - Union)

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Geez I thought someone said he was from Minnesota and was wondering why a dude from Manitoba was claiming to have gone to high school with him. It's so clear now, lol.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Why does he have to mature, especially physically?

He's obviously going to have to translate aspects of his game to the NHL level, but so does every player every year.

Again, the obsession with size and GRIT on this forum comes out.

I think you are mis understanding the concerns here.

It's not about being a monster and being as gritty as sandpaper.

I'm concerned about his health and well being.

165 on a player that is Zucc/MSl height is not an issue.

stretching that light weight on a 6 foot frame make him pencil thin and susceptible to getting hurt by guys that are the same height but 30 pounds heavier.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i cant imagine hes 165 pounds. thats almost unthinkable for a 24 year old hockey player that spent 4 years in the NCAA.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW he is 24 and he has been playing against a lot of other mostly 20 to 25 year olds--not 17 to 20 year old CHL players. Duncan Keith used to be rail skinny too.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Saw him play in the Frozen Four and thought he looked very good.

Will be interesting to see if he can make the jump to performing against pros, but there isn't really a downside with this

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The hockey database is notorious for not updating player weights. That being said the Union College site this year lists Bodie at 165.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
The really nice thing about signing out of the NCAA is how much further along they are with their development.

People say it's like getting extra 2nd-4th round picks. I'd argue it's more like late 1st-late 2nd because of the development they've already gone through.

Sure makes it easier to handle trades like the ones for Nash and MSL.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How much more maturing does he need to do?

Bodie is what he is. All of these people want Bodie to start hitting the weights this summer. At 24,how much will his body change unless he uses PED's? Torey Krug is smaller than Bodie. In the press conference,Bodie was asked about getting bigger. He just wants to play his game. That's what got him a contract.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
People say it's like getting extra 2nd-4th round picks. I'd argue it's more like late 1st-late 2nd because of the development they've already gone through.

No way. Even saying 2-4 round is an exaggeration. With rare exceptions, they are usually 4-6 rounders.

These kids are different from draftees who have higher odds are going totally bust, but may become stars. UDFAs are highly unlikely to become stars. You are really looking for depth here.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Between Allen, McIlrath and now Bodie, they should be okay depth wise in the AHL for players who can fill in if need be or make the team out of camp.

Excellent, so Hartford will be dressing 3 defensemen next year? And if one gets called up, just have one pair play the whole 60 minutes!

Hartford will need to sign several more defensemen, at least two of them experienced veterans.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Excellent, so Hartford will be dressing 3 defensemen next year? And if one gets called up, just have one pair play the whole 60 minutes!

Hartford will need to sign several more defensemen, at least two of them experienced veterans.
Not what he said in the slightest.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
No way. Even saying 2-4 round is an exaggeration. With rare exceptions, they are usually 4-6 rounders.

These kids are different from draftees who have higher odds are going totally bust, but may become stars. UDFAs are highly unlikely to become stars. You are really looking for depth here.

You're right, it was an exaggeration. The point I was trying to make though is that they're more valuable than 3rd or 4th round picks because they're further along their development while having similar potential.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Resign Diaz and Falk gives them 7 d even if Stralman walks. Bodie, Allen, mcilrath fight for time . This move can't hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad