Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chris McCarthy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Everything that I've seen on Folin says that he wants an opportunity to play right away, like Sustr last year. I don't think we'd be able to accommodate that from an ice time perspective, and we don't have a contract spot either. Anyone we sign is going to have to start their ELC next year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd rather have Oksanen or Morrison than Folin. The latter might be the better overall package, but I like the puck-moving abilities of the other two. They'll probably come cheaper as well.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'd rather have Oksanen or Morrison than Folin. The latter might be the better overall package, but I like the puck-moving abilities of the other two. They'll probably come cheaper as well.

I wouldn't mind Morrison at all, I like his overall game the best. Don't think we sign a lefty after grabbing Allen last offseason, but who knows.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Are we done?

There are still a good handful of College FA's looking for a home. Mccarthy is a nice grab, but there are others I would have tried to lock up before him. Folin would have been nice, 6'3 RH Dman.

Kenny Morrison, WMU, 6'2 200 RH dman, is still out there. Puck mover plays with an edge. Dave Makowski of DU is a RH dman, so is Wisconsins Frankie Simonelli. LH Dmen available - Ahti Oksanen and Shayne Taker.

Goalies who are left - Summerhays, Motte, Faragher, Ruempel.

I HIGHLY doubt the Rangers are done. They are going to have a lot of contract slots open at the end of this season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Did I miss anyone from the Rangers commenting on Chris? How can an organization sign someone like this and make no comments? Where are the beat writers?

nikonsniper*

. I don't think we'd be able to accommodate that from an ice time perspective, and we don't have a contract spot either.

Cant we go ahead and just buy-out some bum like Powe, and get a spot back? Not even a compliance buy-out, just straight buy-out. what would the cap hit be at this point in the season, twenty bucks?

If it works that way, i think it would be worth it. the 5% change another undrafted UFA becomes an NHL player is at least better than the 0% chance a guy like Powe has to contribute again.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Did I miss anyone from the Rangers commenting on Chris? How can an organization sign someone like this and make no comments? Where are the beat writers?

It was up on the Rangers own site. No photos--just mention that the team had signed him and a brief and standard synopsis of his time at Vermont etc.

http://www.rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=712156

For some reason link is not working.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cant we go ahead and just buy-out some bum like Powe, and get a spot back? Not even a compliance buy-out, just straight buy-out. what would the cap hit be at this point in the season, twenty bucks?

If it works that way, i think it would be worth it. the 5% change another undrafted UFA becomes an NHL player is at least better than the 0% chance a guy like Powe has to contribute again.

I think there's a window in the summer when guys can be bought out. I know it's true for the amnesty buyout, and I think it's true for any. I could be wrong though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Am I the only one who keeps thinking Sandy McCarthy when reading the thread title? I guess that's better than Charlie McCarthy, unless he's been upgraded to graphite.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Powe comes off at the end of the year...

Some of these contracts that they sign can slide to next year... usually if the player does not sign an ATO

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Powe comes off at the end of the year...

Some of these contracts that they sign can slide to next year... usually if the player does not sign an ATO

We can't sign anyone to an ELC this year. Only ELCs that begin next year.

The slide only happens if they play less than 10 NHL games while on an ELC, and it only applies to guys that are 18 or 19--so you won't see that with undrafted free agents. We're at 50 contracts (actually 52 with St. Croix and Duclair sliding), so we can only sign guys to contracts that begin next league year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Players can't be bought out during the season. There is a buyout period just before free agency starts, and another one that can be triggered based on arbitration.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

The slide only happens if they play less than 10 NHL games while on an ELC, and it only applies to guys that are 18 or 19--so you won't see that with undrafted free agents. We're at 50 contracts (actually 52 with St. Croix and Duclair sliding), so we can only sign guys to contracts that begin next league year.

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it...

I assumed we were at 50 contracts. Should be interesting to see who else we can pick up as a free signing...

I'm all reality, as it was stated before, the chances of these signings working out is about the same as any other draft pick after the 2nd round, so I don't see why the "why wasn't he crafted then?" Excuse needs to be rained down every time we make a signing like this. Lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

To correct myself, it's Duclair and Donnay that slide this year. St. Croix slid last year.

Also, McCarthy's deal is 2 years at $692,500 each. No performance bonuses, $185k signing bonus spread over the two years.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
To correct myself, it's Duclair and Donnay that slide this year. St. Croix slid last year.

Also, McCarthy's deal is 2 years at $692,500 each. No performance bonuses, $185k signing bonus spread over the two years.

Interesting that CapGeek has Graves's contract already sliding, while Donnay and Duclair are both still technically listed on this year's chart.

Also, interesting to note that although that guy for SBNation had McCarthy as his 30th best prospect in the NCAAs and the top UDFA available, ranked well ahead of guys like Haggerty, the Carey brothers and TVR, he signed a significantly lower contract. The aforementioned four all got $925K deals and he got $693K. Guess the scouts didn't agree with his rankings. :)

Actually, comparing those first four, it's interesting to note that Haggerty is a) by far the youngest and b) got the best contract, taking into account potential bonuses and the fact that the Rangers were willing to sign him for the current season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interesting that CapGeek has Graves's contract already sliding, while Donnay and Duclair are both still technically listed on this year's chart.

Also, interesting to note that although that guy for SBNation had McCarthy as his 30th best prospect in the NCAAs and the top UDFA available, ranked well ahead of guys like Haggerty, the Carey brothers and TVR, he signed a significantly lower contract. The aforementioned four all got $925K deals and he got $693K. Guess the scouts didn't agree with his rankings. :)

Actually, comparing those first four, it's interesting to note that Haggerty is a) by far the youngest and b) got the best contract, taking into account potential bonuses and the fact that the Rangers were willing to sign him for the current season.

Graves' ELC doesn't actually begin until next season. That's why you won't see it on our reserve list for this year (same as McCarthy). Look at next year's reserve list: http://capgeek.com/rangers/reserve-list/?year_id=2014. You'll see they have both Duclair and Graves listed as slide risks. Not Donnay, though, as he'd be 20 and not able to slide.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad