Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chris McCarthy

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Like the signing. Big kid with skill.

Get a goalie and a PMD too. Really wish we got TVR.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This is a value signing for a guy who slots in nicely to a 3c or 3rw. He's like a jt Miller without the wheels.

No risk here.

Mr Atoz*

Any relation to:

captjack.gif

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
So, with all that pumping of his tires, what is the realistic downside? What about his game led to him being signed as a college FA? Why not drafted? What are his weaknesses?

Following an excellent junior campaign last season, Chris McCarthy was actually offered an NHL contract but declined, opting to return to Vermont to finish out his collegiate career.

his weakness is clearly books :sarcasm:

Little Ball of Hate

Oct 15, 2011
Parts Unknown
Vermont has been a **** team since he's been on it and he's been one of the best players since he joined it. It's honestly impressive that he put up the numbers he did. The team is that bad.

Vermont lost to Union in the first round of the NCAA's, making them better than the 43 teams that watched the regionals on TV....

I've watched McCarthy play a bunch. He is big and fast, but a little raw. Had a lot of injuries in college, but was healthy this year. If he stays healthy he might have a crack at the Rangers, if not he'll be very good in Hartford.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Vermont lost to Union in the first round of the NCAA's, making them better than the 43 teams that watched the regionals on TV....

I've watched McCarthy play a bunch. He is big and fast, but a little raw. Had a lot of injuries in college, but was healthy this year. If he stays healthy he might have a crack at the Rangers, if not he'll be very good in Hartford.

This is the first year that Vermont has been even mediocre since McCarthy was on the team. They've been terrible since McCarthy joined the team. More wins this season than 2010 and 2011 combined.

So yes. Vermont has sucked for a little while, now. It's nice that the program has reached mediocrity again.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
From purely the scouting reports as I haven't seen him play, he sounds like Greg Moore from years ago. Big body, all around player. Skating could be an issue.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010

Is he the new Callahan, or maybe that is the hope for him? Fast, likes traffic, versatile & leadership abilities it seems? I like this signing a lot from a glance. He can play both center and wing too.

Dec 13, 2010
Part of why he was "underwhelming" on the NTDP (which I disagree with, anyway) was that it was a deep as **** team and he wasn't a first liner. He never should have been undrafted.

Come on Jon read it better ;) Never said he was underwhelming! He wasn't a star on the team and it made sense he wasn't drafted.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was definitely the offensive catalyst for Vermont--they were 17-6-2 when he recorded a point, and 3-9-1 when he was held scoreless.

Will he sign an ATO and play a few games for Hartford?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Sounds like another solid NCAA FA signing. The kid won't set the world on fire, but he projects as cheap, quality NHL depth.

At the cost of nothing but a contract, you really can't go wrong.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Damn, I don't know how to post videos. Here's the link:

He scored two goals in the highlights. Right handed shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Come on Jon read it better ;) Never said he was underwhelming! He wasn't a star on the team and it made sense he wasn't drafted.

Well, it didn't make sense he wasn't drafted at all. I never understood that. He was a good player on a very deep team. It's odd that he wasn't picked up in the 4th-7th rounds.

I mean, good for us and all, but it's just kind of silly.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Are we done?

There are still a good handful of College FA's looking for a home. Mccarthy is a nice grab, but there are others I would have tried to lock up before him. Folin would have been nice, 6'3 RH Dman.

Kenny Morrison, WMU, 6'2 200 RH dman, is still out there. Puck mover plays with an edge. Dave Makowski of DU is a RH dman, so is Wisconsins Frankie Simonelli. LH Dmen available - Ahti Oksanen and Shayne Taker.

Goalies who are left - Summerhays, Motte, Faragher, Ruempel.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
McCarthy, another righty shot. AV likes having righty shots on the PP. Time will tell how McCarthy can translate his game to the pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad