Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chris McCarthy

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Chris McCarthy, C
Senior, University of Vermont (Hockey East)

Following an excellent junior campaign last season, Chris McCarthy was actually offered an NHL contract but declined, opting to return to Vermont to finish out his collegiate career. As a result, he’s had an even better showing this season and has seen increased attention from NHL teams as a result. Among the teams having already shown interest in McCarthy are the San Jose Sharks and the Chicago Blackhawks, whose prospect camps he attended in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

The Collegeville, PA native currently leads the Catamounts in both points (40) and assists (24) in 34 games to date. His 16 goals and +16 rating both rank second on the team. Most recently, McCarthy was named a semi-finalist for this year’s Walter Brown Award.

McCarthy is a 6’1”, 205-pound forward blessed with great hands and vision who thinks the game exceedingly well. An attribute that has really gotten the attention of scouts is his ability to play in any situation smartly and effectively. One of McCarthy’s greatest assets is his ability to anticipate and know where plays will end up, not only offensively but defensively as well. While McCarthy is a center, he has also seen time on the wing this season. Although McCarthy is known more for his superb playmaking ability, he can score goals as well. He does a terrific job of controlling the tempo of a game and makes the players around him better. McCarthy serves as Vermont’s captain, and his strong leadership has been invaluable to his team’s success this season.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104605/carey-morrison-among-top-available-ncaa-free-agents/

More info

Sounds like another very good signing. I like the versatility and the fact that he plays in all situations. Adding leadership to that is a huge plus as well.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Another former USNTDP product. Haggerty. Miller. Skjei.

30. Chris McCarthy, Forward, Vermont (Free Agent)

The USNTDP product has had to overcome several serious injuries since his arrival in Burlington, but he saved his best for last in his senior campaign. The Collegeville, Pa. native is a power forward that can play both ends of the ice at the next level. He's very strong on the puck, has a good shot and has deceptively good hands. He has two shorthanded goals and has been very effective in his own end killing penalties and taking care of defensive responsibilities.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/31/5567902/new-york-rangers-sign-vermonts-chris-mccarthy

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
SB Nation (for what that's worth) listed him #30 on their NCAA Tourney NHL prospects to watch.

30. Chris McCarthy, Forward, Vermont (Free Agent)

The USNTDP product has had to overcome several serious injuries since his arrival in Burlington, but he saved his best for last in his senior campaign. The Collegeville, Pa. native is a power forward that can play both ends of the ice at the next level. He's very strong on the puck, has a good shot and has deceptively good hands. He has two shorthanded goals and has been very effective in his own end killing penalties and taking care of defensive responsibilities.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...-100-nhl-prospects-21-40-free-agent-nhl-draft

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Chris McCarthy (Vermont) — C – Signed with the New York Rangers on March 31 – The Rangers made their second solid signing of the college free agent season by locking up Vermont senior captain Chris McCarthy. The fifth-year senior had a fantastic campaign, posting 42 points in 38 games for the Catamounts, helping the team reach the NCAA tournament. McCarthy was a do-everything forward for Vermont and if you watched the team’s opening-round loss to Union, you’ll know just how important he was to the Catamounts’ lineup. He scored twice in the game, but played monster minutes on a team that lacked depth. McCarthy, who was awarded a redshirt after having his first junior season was derailed by injury made the most of his extra year of eligibility. Over his second junior season and this year, McCarthy posted 73 points in 74 games. At 6-1, 205, he has a good frame and uses it well. McCarthy tacked on a ton of muscle over his five years at Vermont and it helps him to be strong on the puck and tough to move out of the hard areas of the ice. He battles extremely well and has a powerful stride. He’s not the quickest guy on the ice, but he gets to where he needs to go and plays a very strong north-south game. McCarthy often drew tough line matchups as well as his two-way game is advanced. He could one day be a bottom-six forward with some scoring potential, but more than anything he adds organizational depth at this point. It’s a solid signing by the Rangers either way as McCarthy plays a style that should translate to the NHL if he’s ever needed.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014/03/12/college-hockey-free-agent-tracker-2014/

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So, with all that pumping of his tires, what is the realistic downside? What about his game led to him being signed as a college FA? Why not drafted? What are his weaknesses?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A very good pickup. Hoping the Rangers might be grabbing a goalie pretty soon as well.

A bunch of college teams have dropped out of the running in the last couple-three days.

C.J. Motte-Ferris St. U.
Ryan Faragher-St. Cloud St. U (has been to the Rangers development camp)
Steven Summerhays-Notre Dame U.
Joel Rumpel-Wisconsin U.
Doug Carr-U Mass-Lowell
Michael Garteig-Quinnipiac

and there's also

Clay Witt-Northeastern U.
Ryan Mckay-U. Miami-Ohio

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"It's always been a dream of mine to one day sign an NHL contract. The fact that it's with an Original Six team makes it even more special," said McCarthy. "I would like to thank my family, teammates, coaches, fans, and the support staff at UVM for all they have done for me during my career. The coaching staff has pushed me every day on and off the ice to help my overall development. UVM is a special place that has produced many NHL stars. I hope to one day wear the Rangers jersey and continue that proud tradition."

http://uvmathletics.com/news/2014/3/31/MHOCKEY_0331141850.aspx

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So, with all that pumping of his tires, what is the realistic downside? What about his game led to him being signed as a college FA? Why not drafted? What are his weaknesses?

Lots of players drafted at 18 out of the college feeder leagues don't pan out. There's a lot of guesswork involved. Seeing a player at 21-22-23 years old is a whole 'nother thing. You're looking at guys more filled out who've learned to up their games against older competition. They've often developed quite a lot.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I never focused to closely on the guy, but I've been saying for years that the NCAA trains the style of hockey that can make a transition to a bottom 6 NHL role very smooth.

Ive seen Vermont play a few times but honestly never exactly took notes on them.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Lots of players drafted at 18 out of the college feeder leagues don't pan out. There's a lot of guesswork involved. Seeing a player at 21-22-23 years old is a whole 'nother thing. You're looking at guys more filled out who've learned to up their games against older competition. They've often developed quite a lot.

Sure, I get that. I just mean that every report in this thread focuses on what's positive about his game. Obviously, he can't be all positives. Does anybody know his game well enough to point out his flaws? I don't, but I'm curious as to what they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad