Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Colin Blackwell to a two-year deal

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Both this guy and Rooney fit that bill.
I think that Rooney can be a competent 4th line center in the NHL. And let's give Blackwell a bit of credit here. Made himself more noticeable in 3 games than Gauthier has in 20+. I think that he is sort of what we hoped Lettieri could have been.

Hope it's not flash in the pan and he can be a version of Fast that is not as fast, but more physical and meaner.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gotta say, to date it’s been:

Blackwell
PDG
Rooney
Lemieux

in order of play.

And of all of them, Blackwell looks like a guy who could actually contribute in the bottom six of a playoff team.

Meanwhile, PDG looks like his typical excellent 13th forward self, Rooney looks like a minor league vet called up to plug an injury, and Lemieux...

...leaves me wondering if all those teams that called about him after we acquired him 2 years ago are still interested.

For now there's depth and competition for spots in the bottom lines and Lemieux hasn't really stood out good or bad (in a sense it's not an issue weather he's in the lineup or someone else in this group takes the spot).

On the other hand I still don't see Blackwell as a solution on the line across from Panarin. He's done well so far statistically but it's been a small sample and from the eye test I don't see skills and IQ to keep up. Could be wrong...

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Seriously, this is the product of some very well done professional scouting. Someone gets a cookie and a ⭐

I do remember him playing against the Rangers last season. Looked it up and it was his 2nd game of the season last year.

Nashville Predators @ New York Rangers, 2019-12-16

Limited ice time, but the 4th best xGF% for the Preds. I'm sure it goes deeper than that in terms of finding the player and wanting him in free agency, but he would have left a good impression on the pro scouts that were watching that game at MSG. Definitely remember how he did and was curious on who he even was. Never heard of him before that game, but I liked what I saw.

As others have said, his numbers in a small sample are strong. I would consider adding him to the PK at some point. He has the tools for it. Could alleviate some of the top guys getting PK time and allow those guys to play 5v5 and get going offensively.

Reactions: egelband

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Blackwell is an example of a guy that just wants it a little more than the guy across from him. Physically, he has no business excelling at this level - and all he's doing is being an asset every time he's on the ice. Noticeable. Keep going.

This. I thought he and Rooney would be challenging PDG for the 12th forward slot, but he's actually challenging Lemieux for the 10th forward slot. I'm not forecasting him beyond that level, but he's been better than PDG, while PDG has actually looked okay.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Is it a coincidence that Panarin and Strome have looked better since getting another Fast-like player on their line?

You always need someone on a line to do the dirty work and retrieve pucks. I've always liked having guys like that going back to Mike York on the line with Lindros and Theo Flurry.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
ZZZCBEA.png

I can't believe it has only been one game since he got hurt.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
With 2 games in 7 days, his games missed with be minimized.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Cullen hit the post four times a game, most frustrating player ever.
what sucked about Cullen is he signed here but yet did not want to play here and demanded a trade and won cups somewhere else. he should never signed here if he really did not want to player here. screw him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad