Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Colin Blackwell to a two-year deal

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
More than likely a guy who spends most of his time in Hartford, but did have 10 points in 27 games for Nashville last season.

Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As I said in the other thread, they're probably going to lose most/all of Fogarty, Nieves, Beleskey, Lettieri, Haley, etc. So they need 4A guys and spare forwards. Both this guy and Rooney fit that bill.

Reactions: jas

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
As I said in the other thread, they're probably going to lose most/all of Fogarty, Nieves, Beleskey, Lettieri, Haley, etc. So they need 4A guys and spare forwards. Both this guy and Rooney fit that bill.

is the Greco signing official?
any insights into him, aside from being born in Queens?

had 2 good AHL scoring seasons in '17-18 & 18-19
Anthony Greco at eliteprospects.com

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Think this one went a little under the radar. I think he did well in limited time in Nashville. He might be destined for the AHL, but this actually looks like the good kind of depth.

Small guy, but kind of a buzz saw player that is annoying to deal with. Might be the #1 call up from Hartford if they need a player that isn't a kid they want to let get their feet wet in pro hockey.

The good news is he is a very solid skater. Could be a McKegg replacement, but I think there are good differences in his game from McKegg.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He was good in his small NHL sample this year by all metrics

I agree. He's the Rocco Grimaldi type of signing you want, but potentially better. A veteran pro who knows systems, and you can put him in the line up. I think he will surprise a lot of people and win some fans over. This is a smart player who makes good plays. Points are a pleasant surprise should there be any, but this guy will earn himself a look I think. Worth the two years, and one wear I think it pays off as a good signing.

He's defensively reliable, but I would press on and get to the net front every chance in the offensive zone as well. A good guy to study for him would be Brendan Gallagher. You don't necessarily have to get under guys skins to draw penalties. But you can be an effective stick there, looking for rebounds or getting shots in close to the net. Ice time is ice time. It doesn't matter how it's labeled or what line is called what. It's the NHL ice time.

This is a smart player and if he's a willing competitor in the offensive zone, I think he can be a really good player who makes it tough to get him out of the line up. I expect him to play in the NHL. He and Rooney should make a very nice pair on that 4th line. Then you have your 4A guys and kids. If it all plays out well, driving competition for that 4th line LW spot is a really good way to keep guys moving.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Gotta say, to date it’s been:

Blackwell
PDG
Rooney
Lemieux

in order of play.

And of all of them, Blackwell looks like a guy who could actually contribute in the bottom six of a playoff team.

Meanwhile, PDG looks like his typical excellent 13th forward self, Rooney looks like a minor league vet called up to plug an injury, and Lemieux...

...leaves me wondering if all those teams that called about him after we acquired him 2 years ago are still interested.

Last edited:

GbgRanger

Jul 11, 2009
Sweden / Philippines
I agree. He's the Rocco Grimaldi type of signing you want, but potentially better. A veteran pro who knows systems, and you can put him in the line up. I think he will surprise a lot of people and win some fans over. This is a smart player who makes good plays. Points are a pleasant surprise should there be any, but this guy will earn himself a look I think. Worth the two years, and one wear I think it pays off as a good signing.

He's defensively reliable, but I would press on and get to the net front every chance in the offensive zone as well. A good guy to study for him would be Brendan Gallagher. You don't necessarily have to get under guys skins to draw penalties. But you can be an effective stick there, looking for rebounds or getting shots in close to the net. Ice time is ice time. It doesn't matter how it's labeled or what line is called what. It's the NHL ice time.

This is a smart player and if he's a willing competitor in the offensive zone, I think he can be a really good player who makes it tough to get him out of the line up. I expect him to play in the NHL. He and Rooney should make a very nice pair on that 4th line. Then you have your 4A guys and kids. If it all plays out well, driving competition for that 4th line LW spot is a really good way to keep guys moving.

Nice one.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't mind him playing on the 4th line, if need be the 3rd.

But 16 minutes on the 2nd line? No thanks.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Nice one.

Thanks, started running my own formulas and analytics this summer, Blackwell popped out on a couple of my stacks and the sample size was getting to an acceptable amount as well. Also mentioned earlier that this board may potentially freak if Blackwell gets time in the top 6 or with Bread, but he's fitting in nicely.

Didn't look at tape when I posted that after the free agent signing, straight numbers.

Reactions: leetch99

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Already 3 more points than Fast so far this season... WINNING!

if Lemieux ever does anything other than take dumb penalties we might actually have a formidable 4th line for the first time in ages

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Gotta say, to date it’s been:

Blackwell
PDG
Rooney
Lemieux

in order of play.

And of all of them, Blackwell looks like a guy who could actually contribute in the bottom six of a playoff team.

Meanwhile, PDG looks like his typical excellent 13th forward self, Rooney looks like a minor league vet called up to plug an injury, and Lemieux...

...leaves me wondering if all those teams that called about him after we acquired him 2 years ago are still interested.

Lemieux was either going to be good because of his pedigree, or not good but hang around because of his pedigree. I think we are finding out now.

Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Gotta give credit. He's been one fo the better forwards. I dont know how long it will stick but good for him and Quinn for giving him a shot. That pass was timely and a beauty.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Congrats to Blackwell for becoming the answer to a future Rangers trivia question.

Kudos to me for screaming, "Why the eff is Blackwell on the ice in OT?!" just before he turned up the ice with the puck and made that pass to Laf.

I was saying the exact same thing - what's with Quinn putting Blackwell on the ice in OT. Maybe something to DQ's argument that you play the guys who are playing the best. Whatever works!

Blackwell looks good.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad