Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Ben Harpur to Extension [2Y, 775K AAV]

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It's nice to have a crystal ball. They needed someone to replace Strome and his 5Mil ask and nobody knew for sure if Chytil was able to handle the 2c position full time. He gets hurt often and there were still question marks about how consistent he could be. What happens if Chytil can't do the job this year? gets hurt? Then what? I will tell you what. Then they have a giant hole down the middle. Trocheck gives them depth down the middle and is on pace for 25 goals and 55-60 points. The 5.6 AAV is not bad although the term may be a year or two too long. Harpur has been fine and is signed at league minimum and can be sent down to Hartford if needed. A necessary signing and if you think that every playoff team in this league doesn't have cap issues I have a bridge to sell you. Every team is struggling with quality depth because of the flat cap. That's just reality.

I love Chytil and think he needs to be extended 8 years...but he still isnt fully ready for 2C duties. He can't win faceoffs or be fully trusted defensively yet

Reactions: Barnaby

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
You're not the only one who's said this, so I am not singling you. Work on the contract was happening way before the Toronto game between Drury and Harpur's people. There's zero correlation between oh he had a bad game so I'm going to extend him 2 years.
Haha yeah i realize that. Just really poor timing.

But seriously, this was not a contract extension that needed to be done at all during season. Its not like trams will be knocking down the door for him.

I just find it rather odd in general.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

But seriously, this was not a contract extension that needed to be done at all during season. Its not like trams will be knocking down the door for him.

Agree on the timing. Unsure why Drury was in a rush.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

It allows them to trade Jones if they find a trade they like.

Without this signing they may have needed Jones in the NHL for either next season, or the one after, now they don't.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Agree on the timing. Unsure why Drury was in a rush.
Drury’s taking care of minor business now knowing he’d need to deal with Miller, Chytil, Lafreniere (and Kravtsov) contracts in the summer. Nothing’s wrong with this approach especially knowing that there’ll be nothing stopping him (other than contract limits) if something better comes along.

Reactions: will1066

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Ben is a Fine 6th Defenseman. He is just the type of Dman GG wanted. Big, Physical and Dependable. They did not need someone to push offense from the 6th Dman position. Cheap and a minute muncher. real good signing. And as far a Trocheck as a 3rd line center, the guy can win faceoffs and always was a straight line player. Better player than Strome. Fil needs to stay with Kakko and Laffy

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's nice to have a crystal ball. They needed someone to replace Strome and his 5Mil ask and nobody knew for sure if Chytil was able to handle the 2c position full time. He gets hurt often and there were still question marks about how consistent he could be. What happens if Chytil can't do the job this year? gets hurt? Then what? I will tell you what. Then they have a giant hole down the middle. Trocheck gives them depth down the middle and is on pace for 25 goals and 55-60 points. The 5.6 AAV is not bad although the term may be a year or two too long. Harpur has been fine and is signed at league minimum and can be sent down to Hartford if needed. A necessary signing and if you think that every playoff team in this league doesn't have cap issues I have a bridge to sell you. Every team is struggling with quality depth because of the flat cap. That's just reality.
The guy's entire season is being on PP1. EV he's been complete shit based on his contract and role he was handed. If Lafreniere is a bust then Trocheck is a monumental failure of a signing. He's completely lost at EV based on the role he plays and ice time he gets and the players he plays with. He has 19 EV points. Lafreniere has 21 EV points. Kakko has 21 EV points. Chytil has 24 EV points.

There were better options that required more creativity but Drury saw a guy who reminded him of himself and bid against himself. Nobody was going to give Trocheck that contract.

Chytil showed the second half and the playoffs that he was ready. Once upon a time the Rangers had the choice of resigning Cullen or going forward with Dubinsky, they chose Dubinsky and it was the right move until they shipped him and Anisimov (who Chytil actually reminds me a bit of, but Chytil has more upside) out for Nash who became a lazy bum and disappeared when games mattered the most.

(By the way, Drury REALLY is reminded of himself when looking at Trocheck. Guy had 58 points the season I mentioned above with the Rangers going with Dubinsky instead of Cullen. Of those 58 points 29 of them were PP points. He was useless at EV.)

A lot of teams would have looked at their 1st round pick who played like a stud in a deep playoff run and decided to commit to him. Instead the Rangers Rongo'd and over extended themselves on a middling player as per Rongo's status quo. They could have gotten a cheaper option to be a fall back in case Chytil imploded.

But this leads to the overarching issue with this franchise and that's they are holding back the kids so that lazy bums can kick the can again based on a Cinderella run that hinged on absolute miracles. People really think they're going to win a bunch more game 7s while getting their teeth kicked in again? Trocheck doesn't put this team over the top. Been saying it since the summer. The Kids put over the top if they were used properly.

It's easy to pad stats on the PP, it's easy to gain confidence on the PP. EV is where a player is shown to be real or smoke and mirrors. The kids produce at EV. They've earned more responsibility.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The guy's entire season is being on PP1. EV he's been complete shit based on his contract and role he was handed. If Lafreniere is a bust then Trocheck is a monumental failure of a signing. He's completely lost at EV based on the role he plays and ice time he gets and the players he plays with. He has 19 EV points. Lafreniere has 21 EV points. Kakko has 21 EV points. Chytil has 24 EV points.

There were better options that required more creativity but Drury saw a guy who reminded him of himself and bid against himself. Nobody was going to give Trocheck that contract.

Chytil showed the second half and the playoffs that he was ready. Once upon a time the Rangers had the choice of resigning Cullen or going forward with Dubinsky, they chose Dubinsky and it was the right move until they shipped him and Anisimov (who Chytil actually reminds me a bit of, but Chytil has more upside) out for Nash who became a lazy bum and disappeared when games mattered the most.

(By the way, Drury REALLY is reminded of himself when looking at Trocheck. Guy had 58 points the season I mentioned above with the Rangers going with Dubinsky instead of Cullen. Of those 58 points 29 of them were PP points. He was useless at EV.)

A lot of teams would have looked at their 1st round pick who played like a stud in a deep playoff run and decided to commit to him. Instead the Rangers Rongo'd and over extended themselves on a middling player as per Rongo's status quo. They could have gotten a cheaper option to be a fall back in case Chytil imploded.

But this leads to the overarching issue with this franchise and that's they are holding back the kids so that lazy bums can kick the can again based on a Cinderella run that hinged on absolute miracles. People really think they're going to win a bunch more game 7s while getting their teeth kicked in again? Trocheck doesn't put this team over the top. Been saying it since the summer. The Kids put over the top if they were used properly.

It's easy to pad stats on the PP, it's easy to gain confidence on the PP. EV is where a player is shown to be real or smoke and mirrors. The kids produce at EV. They've earned more responsibility.
Chytil was good late last season and in playoffs but was that enough to give him 2C full time responsibility? Maybe, maybe not. Were they concerned that he gets injured too often? Probably. There is nothing wrong with having some depth at center. Trocheck is on a 60 point pace, plays with an edge, and is good on faceoffs. It was not a bad signing. It seems to me the kids have been given more ice time and more responsibility which is a good thing.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I love Chytil and think he needs to be extended 8 years...but he still isnt fully ready for 2C duties. He can't win faceoffs or be fully trusted defensively yet
Exactly. I just don't think management felt he was ready for it just yet. When he is then we move Trocheck down and have a very good line. I like quality depth at center.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Chytil was good late last season and in playoffs but was that enough to give him 2C full time responsibility? Maybe, maybe not. Were they concerned that he gets injured too often? Probably. There is nothing wrong with having some depth at center. Trocheck is on a 60 point pace, plays with an edge, and is good on faceoffs. It was not a bad signing. It seems to me the kids have been given more ice time and more responsibility which is a good thing.
if Chytil didn't get injured this season (he was riding high at the time IIRC) and got Trochek's PP time, he'd be at or near 40 points this season which is excellent for a 2C. Chytil's most glaring weakness is his faceoffs win % which is like at an atrocious 39% while Tro is like 56% win. Chytil has to turn that boat around somehow.

Super happy Drury did not give Harpur a NTC ;)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

This is a monumentally bad take. Trocheck is fine in his role. He's not the savior, but he wasn't supposed to be. He's a solid addition. He’ll score his points. He’ll win faceoffs. He’ll play with an edge. They were getting a C and he was a better option than a Ryan Strome or Copp. No one would give him this contract? Look at the aforementioned. Look at Dylan Stromes fresh contract. He was getting 5+ and im fine with us being the ones who gave it to him. Now they have 3 strong centers. Whose it holding back? The kids will develop or they won’t. They get ice time. Outside of Laf they've continued to improve.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not really worried about Harpur as the 7th cheap D . My concern is going into the playoffs with little depth.

Preferably Harpur is like Brodzinski and is the 1st call up on D not on the roster playing every game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad