Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Ben Harpur to Extension [2Y, 775K AAV]

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't hate having him as a like- 3rd or 4th callup option

But I have him in Bitetto/Kampfer/Bickel/Tinordi territory in that he should only be in the NHL for short stints and emergencies, not playing a regular shift.

This extension tempts coaches to continue to trot him out there without giving other guys an opportunity.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't hate having him as a like- 3rd or 4th callup option

But I have him in Bitetto/Kampfer/Bickel/Tinordi territory in that he should only be in the NHL for short stints and emergencies, not playing a regular shift.

This extension tempts coaches to continue to trot him out there without giving other guys an opportunity.
This isn't wrong.

Sucks to be in a world where you have to worry about self-defense against your own coach but what else is new?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Tradition, you caught that really fast lol I only had it there as a placeholder for a fraction of a second until I found the term/AAV
I thought maybe GG convinced Drury in person after the game "hey Chris Big Ben is totally worth 3 million per" lol.
I mean this is the coach that didn't play his best line like they should have been played down the stretch last night.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like it. Harpur is a fine #7, I've been pleasantly surprised that he hasn't been terrible. He actually has looked better with the Rangers than he did with Hartford, IMO.

The contract can be completely buried so there's not really any cap concerns.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, this is a good depth signing for a guy who came in to Hartford on a PTO, signed an AHL deal and then a NHL deal and has played pretty well in a small role. Injuries will happen. Having Harpur signed may mean Hajek's days are numbered.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You also have to consider that we have no cap space and neither does anybody else.

The NHL is headed towards a huge labor crisis and we're at the tip of the iceberg.

Nobody will be shelling out $2-3m for a #5/6 and bottom pairs around the league will regress more towards Harpur's quality.

Players of a certain level are going to end up out of work. It happened in baseball prior to their recent work stoppage.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You also have to consider that we have no cap space and neither does anybody else.

The NHL is headed towards a huge labor crisis and we're at the tip of the iceberg.

Nobody will be shelling out $2-3m for a #5/6 and bottom pairs around the league will regress more towards Harpur's quality.

Players of a certain level are going to end up out of work. It happened in baseball prior to their recent work stoppage.
Yeah this is the same reason we extended Vesey. Now Vesey is better than Harpur, but the idea is that if you can find guys who are at least serviceable in some capacity who are willing to sign cheap deals, you do it.

Reactions: egelband

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He has been good since his call up. Was a 2 year deal necessary? I would have liked to see a 1 year deal to keep him hungry. If he starts shiting the bed because he has some security I won't be happy.

I guess this is the end of Hayek.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like it. Harpur is a fine #7, I've been pleasantly surprised that he hasn't been terrible. He actually has looked better with the Rangers than he did with Hartford, IMO.

The contract can be completely buried so there's not really any cap concerns.
Yep. Sounds good to me. Harpur is a fine #7. The extra years probably means he could even be sent down without getting claimed.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s a cheap deal, low risk, but have not been really sold on the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad