Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Igor Shestyorkin (G - Russia) with 118th Overall Pick

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I agree, but they still pull pieces together. Maybe not the Isles as much, but we all know they are an exception and really not at all relevant to any discussions of anything rational.

Isles drafting goalies makes sense in many ways.

Habs drafting them is still not on the same level as us cause Price has had injuries over the years. Hank has been, knock on wood, perfectly healthy most of his time here. Neither team should be drafting goalies that high unless the cupboard is completely barren, which up until last year the Habs were.

We have Talbot who is cheap and fairly young. Skapski is a nice prospect, but just that, one year removed from his draft. We've been fine with every backup we've rolled in here - Allaire is our backup, that's what many don't acknowledge :D

But, again -- we only have Talbot for one more year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This makes total sense. A couple of years ago, there were rumors the Rangers were VERY high on Vasilevsky who was taken a few picks ahead of them by TB. They needed a legitimate future starter. These guys take years to even make the NHL in any capacity. Say he gets there in 5 years, which is pretty quick. That makes Hank what, 37? Time to start unloading him slightly.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This makes total sense. A couple of years ago, there were rumors the Rangers were VERY high on Vasilevsky who was taken a few picks ahead of them by TB. They needed a legitimate future starter. These guys take years to even make the NHL in any capacity. Say he gets there in 5 years, which is pretty quick. That makes Hank what, 37? Time to start unloading him slightly.

Exactly.

I don't get why Bluenote and some others are hating on this, but I guess to each his own.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I don't want Hank playing more than 52-55 games after the age of 35. So it makes perfect sense to me. Both goalie picks do.

mti79

May 11, 2007
But, again -- we only have Talbot for one more year.

Not sure if you're serious or not.....but why do we only have him for one more year? Nothing says he won't re-sign a reasonable extension.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not sure if you're serious or not.....but why do we only have him for one more year? Nothing says he won't re-sign a reasonable extension.

It's much more likely that he leaves as a UFA to try and find a place where he can play more than he stays here. If he has another season anything like this season, he's gone.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

He could. But I have to think he'd like to see if he could be a #1 somewhere before he extends in NY. If he has another strong year someone could give him a shot.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Shesterkin is 6’1″, 187 lbs. Red Line Report says he never gets beat by anything clean, only rebounds and deflections. They like his focus and puck handling, but suggest he could use a lot of work on his technique.

This sounds like another European goalie we drafted the last time we took two goalies in the same draft. That guy was also the second goalie we drafted that year. Does anyone remember the name of that bust? I heard he was so lost in space, he was still playing hockey the first half of this June. Doesn't he know it's a winter sport and then you play golf in April?

When Hank was drafted, he too had really good potential and gave up little on rebounds and deflections, had unbelievable focus, but his technique needed a ton of work. That's what Benoit Allaire is for (and prior to that Hank's amazing Swedish coaches).

Shestyorkin is described as a tremendous talent who's just raw. Technique is the easiest thing to teach. Obviously, you don't know if he'll be like Lundqvist or anything remotely similar, but he looks like a solid pick.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Pretty much this.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Posted: 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM by Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
According to a Russian poster in the prospects thread:

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

According to RLR:

Next up for Red Line is Igor Shestyorkin, a super-competitive kid who never gives up on a play. The cat-like acrobat shows phenomenal reflexes and anticipation, and almost never gets beaten by anything clean - it has to be a rebound, deflection, or screen shot. He needs plenty of work on his technique, but his focus and concentration are outstanding. The biggest downside is clubs not being certain of his future intentions - he has indicated a willingness to come to North America once his Kontinental Hockey League contract is done, but his availability is not a given.

RLR rated Shestyorkin as the second best goaltender for this year's draft. Definitely would be a good pick in the 4th round.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...raft/10772577/

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Posted: 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM by Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
According to a Russian poster in the prospects thread:

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

I think I have seen this Russian poster guy somewhere :D

Happy to have him… some people will complain about anything/everything. Also combine that with the fact he's in Russia so no one has really seen him, and he doesn't have a youtube highlight clip ;-)

Youtube actually knows about him, not much, but still it is able to show why I'm really high on him:

Even can help with the scoring a little bit :)

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
I think I have seen this Russian poster guy somewhere :D

Youtube actually knows about him, not much, but still it is able to show why I'm really high on him:

Even can help with the scoring a little bit :)

Yes Caser you are that Russian poster guy. Thanks for the inside info on Shestyorkin. I think Shestyorkin was a very good pick. Could be a quasi Hasek/Lundqvist goalie.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Excellent pick taking this very talented Russian goalie. He's got such talent and competitive spirit. Not cocky but cool and has some swag. The videos show his reflexes and quickness but for those of us who watched him, especially internationally, he's very difficult to beat straight up.

Absolutely love this pick. Mentioned him a few times in the draft thread hoping he would be there for us. I see Basel like ability here and said that from the start.

When this kid comes over he's gonna be a head and shoulders better than most of the kid goaltenders already looking for a shot. He's a definite #1. He's got that kind stuff. When he gets high end coaching and learns some proper technique and can mentor under Allaire and henrik, look out.

Makes me cringe thinking we took a project puck handler minder first in this draft wasting a chance for a quality offensive player at 59. Sometimes I wonder if our draft staff has their **** together but this pick gives me hope that they can get something right.

The word had been out that we had looked at igor a few times and that we liked his athleticism. Allaire I'm sure sees a gem here.

Totally stoked for this kid. :yo:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Excellent pick taking this very talented Russian goalie. He's got such talent and competitive spirit. Not cocky but cool and has some swag. The videos show his reflexes and quickness but for those of us who watched him, especially internationally, he's very difficult to beat straight up.

Absolutely love this pick. Mentioned him a few times in the draft thread hoping he would be there for us. I see Basel like ability here and said that from the start.

When this kid comes over he's gonna be a head and shoulders better than most of the kid goaltenders already looking for a shot. He's a definite #1. He's got that kind stuff. When he gets high end coaching and learns some proper technique and can mentor under Allaire and henrik, look out.

Makes me cringe thinking we took a project puck handler minder first in this draft wasting a chance for a quality offensive player at 59. Sometimes I wonder if our draft staff has their **** together but this pick gives me hope that they can get something right.

The word had been out that we had looked at igor a few times and that we liked his athleticism. Allaire I'm sure sees a gem here.

Totally stoked for this kid. :yo:

The first guy we picked has good size, and is a tremendous puck handler. I believe he's also going to be the US goalie at the WJC. Personally, I'm glad we double dipped at goalie in this draft. Good odds that hopefully one of them pans out. Don't see why you think the staff doesn't have their stuff together.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The first guy we picked has good size, and is a tremendous puck handler. I believe he's also going to be the US goalie at the WJC. Personally, I'm glad we double dipped at goalie in this draft. Good odds that hopefully one of them pans out. Don't see why you think the staff doesn't have their stuff together.

There is a minority here that, like me, believe our overall drafting has been below average and well below average, specifically, in creating dynamic offensive players.

Last years draft of duke, tambo and buch helped a lot but before them there were virtually no highly skilled forwards in the system and still today we have almost no one in the offensive dman role in the entire organization that we drafted other than calle Anderson.

Our top centerman is a Phoenix draft pick. :shakehead

Were 23/30 teams in the 13/14 rankings on this site. Our best roster player and top forward prospect were both drafted by Montreal. :help:

Some of you here love Gordie and his results. Other like me don't. It's that simple.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm glad we double dipped at goalie in this draft. Good odds that hopefully one of them pans out.

Just FYI, a late second rounder has about a 15% chance of cracking the NHL. A 4th rounder is a little better than 5%. And that's for skaters: goalies are a significantly higher risk.

Between the two of them, realistically there is a 15-20% chance that one of them becomes and NHLer (and half of that that one of them becomes a starter).

I trust Gordie and he does strike gold twice as often as others in the later rounds, but it still means that the odds of one of them making it as either a backup or a starter is no better than 30-40%.

Let's not be unrealistic here and think that odds are we pulled out a future starter here. Even with Mckenzie Skapski in addition to these two, the odds of us getting even a backup out of this bunch is no more than 50-50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad