Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Igor Shestyorkin (G - Russia) with 118th Overall Pick

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I recognize your points, but you can justify drafting at any position. For the Rangers in particular however, that argument is weakest for drafting goalies. Add in the fact that the Rangers do not have a first round pick until two years from now and it just compounds what was in all likelihood a mistake.

You forget about the UDFA players we signed. Haggerty, McCarthy, Bodie. These players have a chance to be ready long before anyone we could have drafted today.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Does anyone know how to find the thread in which we selected Hank? I tried search but came up empty. Just would be an interesting read.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Shestyorkin is a very talented goalie, can't really understand what exactly are you complaining about picking him in a late 4-th (especially considering that there weren't a lot of quality goalie prospects in your prospect pool).

Happy to have him… some people will complain about anything/everything. Also combine that with the fact he's in Russia so no one has really seen him, and he doesn't have a youtube highlight clip ;-)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Happy to have him… some people will complain about anything/everything. Also combine that with the fact he's in Russia so no one has really seen him, and he doesn't have a youtube highlight clip ;-)

KHL is actually fairly easy to see. So I'm sure some people on here have seen him. I have not, however.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
KHL is actually fairly easy to see. So I'm sure some people on here have seen him. I have not, however.

According to his stats he only played 9 games in the KHL - He played most of his time in Russian MHL. I'll def try to catch a KHL game or 2 next year if he's there. Does anyone know which league he's expected to start in next season? It would also be cool to see him at the development camp if possible.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
According to his stats he only played 9 games in the KHL - He played most of his time in Russian MHL. I'll def try to catch a KHL game or 2 next year if he's there. Does anyone know which league he's expected to start in next season? It would also be cool to see him at the development camp if possible.

Probably KHL, I'd guess. Honestly I know nothing about the dude, lol. :laugh:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I enjoy drafting Euro-goalies.

Shestyorkin doesn't sound like a good name for a future darkhorse #1 from a European league though :sarcasm:.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
well, if these goalies turn out good, it's certainly a good position to be in. I'm sure most teams envy Anahiem's non-stop goalie producing machine from Giguere, Bryz, Hillier, Fasth, Andersson, and Gibson. that's always been a position of strength for them.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I have more of a problem taking a goalie in the 2nd than in the 4th. This is actually an ideal place to grab a goalie. Plus, anyone who glanced through the pre-draft thread would know that the Rangers were looking at this kid. (I believe Joey Bones posted the link.)

TurgePurge*

The NHL draft is about finding future nhlers. Jeez. Some of you guys sound like you would go mining for gold and not bother to bend down to pick up some diamonds.

The islanders are no model organization but they used a 3rd and a 4th on goalies. Oh, and they used a 3rd and 4th on goalies last year too. Canadiens picked Zach Fucale last year. It goes on and on. Its a crapshoot. Each team is trying to sift through the crap.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The NHL draft is about finding future nhlers. Jeez. Some of you guys sound like you would go mining for gold and not bother to bend down to pick up some diamonds.

The islanders are no model organization but they used a 3rd and a 4th on goalies. Oh, and they used a 3rd and 4th on goalies last year too. Canadiens picked Zach Fucale last year. It goes on and on. Its a crapshoot. Each team is trying to sift through the crap.

I think that the Isles and Habs doing it seems fine when they are finding ways to draft all the other key pieces, whether thats by being the worst or drafting well early and/or late in the draft.

At #59 you really have a hard time making me believe we couldn't try to upgrade at forward or defense. I guess I'm supposed to be thrilled enough with last years 3rd rounders that I don't have to worry about missing 3 first rounds in a row. Plenty of teams have gotten through that fine :p:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think that the Isles and Habs doing it seems fine when they are finding ways to draft all the other key pieces, whether thats by being the worst or drafting well early and/or late in the draft.

At #59 you really have a hard time making me believe we couldn't try to upgrade at forward or defense. I guess I'm supposed to be thrilled enough with last years 3rd rounders that I don't have to worry about missing 3 first rounds in a row. Plenty of teams have gotten through that fine :p:

The Islanders and Habs are finding ways to draft key pieces?

The only key piece the Islanders have drafted is Tavares. And they didn't draft him by being good. The Islanders prospect pool is actually pretty horrendous for how many high picks they have had.

And the Habs have had the most overrated prospect pool since forever.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The Islanders and Habs are finding ways to draft key pieces?

The only key piece the Islanders have drafted is Tavares. And they didn't draft him by being good. The Islanders prospect pool is actually pretty horrendous for how many high picks they have had.

And the Habs have had the most overrated prospect pool since forever.

I agree, but they still pull pieces together. Maybe not the Isles as much, but we all know they are an exception and really not at all relevant to any discussions of anything rational.

Isles drafting goalies makes sense in many ways.

Habs drafting them is still not on the same level as us cause Price has had injuries over the years. Hank has been, knock on wood, perfectly healthy most of his time here. Neither team should be drafting goalies that high unless the cupboard is completely barren, which up until last year the Habs were.

We have Talbot who is cheap and fairly young. Skapski is a nice prospect, but just that, one year removed from his draft. We've been fine with every backup we've rolled in here - Allaire is our backup, that's what many don't acknowledge :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad