Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I’m still gonna be looking for season tickets this year - hoping the down year gives me a way in.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I’m still gonna be looking for season tickets this year - hoping the down year gives me a way in.

only if you want minis or halfs or maybe overpriced lower levels or row 1 gallery.

MSG won't be offering you any 200s at current FS tenured prices. If they do, they will jack those up.

As example, earlier this season there was a pair of Knicks FS in 209 row 12 that was for sale for $99 (current FS tenured price is $78)

For us tenured FS members, the rights to current tenured pricing may actually be a good reason to renew

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
only if you want minis or halfs or maybe overpriced lower levels or row 1 gallery.

MSG won't be offering you any 200s at current FS tenured prices. If they do, they will jack those up.

As example, earlier this season there was a pair of Knicks FS in 209 row 12 that was for sale for $99 (current FS tenured price is $78)

For us tenured FS members, the rights to current tenured pricing may actually be a good reason to renew
Yeah they charge new business more the first year, and then the renewal rate becomes the tenured FS rate the 2nd year

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Prices are based on supply and demand and supply is fixed. Makes no difference who has the tickets. I renewed with the idea next season could be my last. Let's see how the draft goes.
It makes a difference because "fan" ticket holders take their tickets off the market which reduces effective supply. Speculators resell everything and increase effective supply. Also, those that do need to resell will ask for more if their face is higher, which also results in higher secondary market prices. So that supply varies considerably based on ticket price and buyer motivation even if there is a fixed number of seats

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
It makes a difference because "fan" ticket holders take their tickets off the market which reduces effective supply. Speculators resell everything and increase effective supply. Also, those that do need to resell will ask for more if their face is higher, which also results in higher secondary market prices. So that supply varies considerably based on ticket price and buyer motivation even if there is a fixed number of seats
I think the secondary market price isn’t dictated by face value, but rather the demand. People who resell and try to recoup will post their tickets for the price that the market dictates, not the face value. Sometimes that means above face, sometimes below. But at the end of the day, the supply is in direct correlation to the demand. Supply will be less for the better games, whether that be time of year, opponents, or the day/time of the game.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
What's your reasoning for next year being your last? It seems like this year is the perfect year to call it quits? I'm not judging, just want to know your train of though.

For me it's the 25th anniversary of '94 so it's more the nostalgia of it. Plus a lot of people who've gone to games with me over the years don't anymore so it's become a bit of a struggle to get people to go with me as often as I'd like. I thought about cutting from 4 to 2 rather than give them up completely.

Demand is already down this year. My tickets are all accounted for, so I have no skin in the game down the stretch. Out of curiosity, I looked at some tickets on stubhub this morning, and whoever is selling will get less than full-sth price for the games I checked and I checked a few different price points for each game.

As for next year, demand is going to be down. Anyone in it to make money or even sell some for a profit to off-set their own costs is likely going to struggle. Certain games will likely fetch a premium, but that will be based more on the calendar. A home game on Black-Friday or during Xmas week, or even the Wednesday before Thanksgiving are possibilities. Maybe the rivlary games if they are on a weekend.

I don't think demand will go down unless the team sucks from the beginning, which is certainly possible.

That's a reasonable thought process...until MSG decides to flood the market with additional individual game tickets below season subscriber cost.

That's the point I was making. MSG isn't giving non-renewals to new STHs who go to every game. They're just going to sell them as minis or individual games so its just replacing one seller with another. The only difference is that this new seller has rigged the market in its favor.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think demand will go down unless the team sucks from the beginning, which is certainly possible.
In the beginning, I think it will be a wait and see approach. Yes, there will be people who still go. I do not think the arena will ever look like Carolina or Arizona on a Tuesday night against the Panthers, but we will see a lot more people posting tickets for sale and then buyers waiting to get something cheap at the last minute. It will definitely be a buyer's market and very heavily tilted towards the buyers.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Demand was pretty weak this year. It will be worse next year. As long as you plan on going to the games it doesn't matter. If you are looking to sell it will be a challenge for many.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
For me it's the 25th anniversary of '94 so it's more the nostalgia of it. Plus a lot of people who've gone to games with me over the years don't anymore so it's become a bit of a struggle to get people to go with me as often as I'd like. I thought about cutting from 4 to 2 rather than give them up completely.

That's a really good reason. I completely forgot about that. I wonder if they will pull one out of the Yankees playbook and tie something into 1994 for every game just to get butts in seats.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Demand is already down this year. My tickets are all accounted for, so I have no skin in the game down the stretch. Out of curiosity, I looked at some tickets on stubhub this morning, and whoever is selling will get less than full-sth price for the games I checked and I checked a few different price points for each game.

As for next year, demand is going to be down. Anyone in it to make money or even sell some for a profit to off-set their own costs is likely going to struggle. Certain games will likely fetch a premium, but that will be based more on the calendar. A home game on Black-Friday or during Xmas week, or even the Wednesday before Thanksgiving are possibilities. Maybe the rivlary games if they are on a weekend.

Id be happy to get STH price for those considering they are jacked up bc of the tier system

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT

Thats the key there for me anyway

MikePLee

Oct 9, 2011
So I'm trying to figure out if I want to renew my seats for next year.

I have two seats on the aisle in Section 208, row 12.

I'm just curious if there is anyone on the boards looking to split tickets? We would agree on an even split of games and also split the preseason games. If the Rangers happen to make the playoffs next year, we'd split those games as well.

If anyone is interested, please shoot me an email at: [email protected]

Thank you!

LGR

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
That's a reasonable thought process...until MSG decides to flood the market with additional individual game tickets below season subscriber cost.
I already renewed for next season. I don't think MSG would have to flood the market with below season ticket cost but if they did I think they would piss off many STH's. I think that there will less tickets available on the secondary market next year as many new subscribers would be buying with the intent of going and not reselling. I wonder if the Ghosts as I call STH's that don't go to any games but just sell each game individually will be renewing.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I already renewed for next season. I don't think MSG would have to flood the market with below season ticket cost but if they did I think they would piss off many STH's. I think that there will less tickets available on the secondary market next year as many new subscribers would be buying with the intent of going and not reselling. I wonder if the Ghosts as I call STH's that don't go to any games but just sell each game individually will be renewing.

Can you explain what the difference is between the Ghosts/Brokers selling in the secondary market (as in TM Red Dots) vs MSG selling theirs on TM as shown in "blue dots"?

I can tell you what the difference is - the Red Dots are less expensive than the Blue Dots.

As a buyer sometimes in the secondary market, I don't want to lose the Ghosts!

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Can you explain what the difference is between the Ghosts/Brokers selling in the secondary market (as in TM Red Dots) vs MSG selling theirs on TM as shown in "blue dots"?

I can tell you what the difference is - the Red Dots are less expensive than the Blue Dots.

As a buyer sometimes in the secondary market, I don't want to lose the Ghosts!
As a buyer I wouldn't want to lose the Ghosts either. I guess this has really bothered me this year as I couldn't make a few games early this season due to personal issues and it happened to coincide with the stretch of the season where the Rangers played a large grouping together at home and I went to post 4-5 games on the secondary sites and the 6 seats right next to mine were posted for every game. Then I looked and a group of 4 right in front were posted for every game. Whenever I went to a game I asked in casual conversation who had these seats and no one knew. This never used to happen before. I started checking and these 2 sets were for sale every game this past season.
It is great for the buyer when there are several thousand seats per game for sale when only a few years ago there were a quarter of that number for sale on a consistent basis.
I liked it better when you got to know the people in your section.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
As a buyer I wouldn't want to lose the Ghosts either. I guess this has really bothered me this year as I couldn't make a few games early this season due to personal issues and it happened to coincide with the stretch of the season where the Rangers played a large grouping together at home and I went to post 4-5 games on the secondary sites and the 6 seats right next to mine were posted for every game. Then I looked and a group of 4 right in front were posted for every game. Whenever I went to a game I asked in casual conversation who had these seats and no one knew. This never used to happen before. I started checking and these 2 sets were for sale every game this past season.
It is great for the buyer when there are several thousand seats per game for sale when only a few years ago there were a quarter of that number for sale on a consistent basis.
I liked it better when you got to know the people in your section.
One of the things in the TOS this year is that you must reside in the tri-state area. I'm sure that there is someone there that is making introduction calls to see who is who. I know the Isles were big on that when they moved to Barclays.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I usually travel a lot in May and it's nice to know I won't have to worry about selling playoff tickets on short notice while I'm in another country with potentially spotty internet. Last year I was in China and couldn't access ticketmaster IIRC. How's that for a positive spin?

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Yep... I'm on the fence as to whether I wish to renew.

I have a partner who takes half the games. If he wants to continue I'll have another go.

If not... I might give them up (after 27 years)?

The seats are decent (row 2 center) . The avg cost is $135 / game (2 tix)

I'm trying to determine what the real cost of holding tix for a non playoff team is?

What percentage of cost can I really get back versus face? 65%....80%...90 %?

I guess the cost of holding tix in poor years is an investment to be measured against the value of having seats for the next up cycle?

In past years the season tix appeared to be under priced versus the market. With the current pricing that no longer seems to be the case.

Thus, I am left trying to understand the value of season tix in today's environment? The playoff pricing no longer leaves much room in the first two rounds for any profit other than game 7's.

So.. I am left with the thought that the two final rounds is my edge? I think in terms of profit, since I can go out in the open market and buy any playoff games I wish to see without the hassle of reselling reg season tix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers2319

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
^^ same thing i have tossed back and forth in my mind for the last few days, i feel not renewing is selling high here but a part of me wants to keep them bc once theyre gone, youre never getting them back. At the same time, who cares right? If tickets can be had on secondary market for face value why take on all the risk for the sake of being a "season ticket holder". That title seems to have lost its luster over the years and as someone who said in here a while back, it will be a thing of the past in the future

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So.. I am left with the thought that the two final rounds is my edge? I think in terms of profit, since I can go out in the open market and buy any playoff games I wish to see without the hassle of reselling reg season tix.

Home Game 7 in the SCF is your edge. Ok, maybe all the SCF games and an ECF Game 6/7 are money makers too. But the point is outside of having to sell a kidney to afford the one game that occurs every 25+ years there is essentially no more edge to be had. The regular season games are overpriced (on most nights) for a competitive team, and we aren't that any longer. The post season games were jacked up so much that you can pretty much get them for face or 10% above on the secondary market. So what's the point really?

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
^^ same thing i have tossed back and forth in my mind for the last few days, i feel not renewing is selling high here but a part of me wants to keep them bc once theyre gone, youre never getting them back. At the same time, who cares right? If tickets can be had on secondary market for face value why take on all the risk for the sake of being a "season ticket holder". That title seems to have lost its luster over the years and as someone who said in here a while back, it will be a thing of the past in the future
Last two rounds is only place it makes a diff

Reactions: Rangers2319

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Hi I have 2 section 214 row 17............not sure if I will continue as a STH anyone interested in buying at cost half the season. Equitable split between premium and playoffs(?) etc.. Average cost $68 per game times 2 seats times 42 games total $6072.oo
973.534.3628 Thanks

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone who is worried about the resale ability of the tickets would be wise to give them up. The value is just not there. As prices have gone up, there has been a steady increase of tickets posted on the secondary market and I expect in a down year, that number will rise. The only read advantage to the full seasons is the price difference vs the 1/2's and mini-plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad