Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Vlad Namestnikov (2 years x 4.0M)

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I like it. I guess I shouldn't get attached to him, though. I still miss Stepan...hell I still miss Jagr...shit I still miss Petr Prucha!! I still wear #25 on my roller hockey team lol

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
This is not a bridge deal. A bridge deal comes when the player is coming off ELC and the team gives them shorter term rather than a 5-7 year deal that buys out free agent years.

This is a put up or shut up deal. In two years Vlad is a UFA. Before the second year he will either be extended or traded.

this is a we have too much cap space and too much money and don't know what to do with it type signing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Terrific news. I've consistently been in the "resign Namestnikov, let Spooner go" camp.

He did not mesh with AV. We saw that. We know that. He's better than the 20 games in March/April. Quality two-way, high IQ forward, will serve as a leader to acclimate Buchnevich and the Russian forces to come. Get ready for Kravtsov, it's happening.

Love this re-signing.
Good transition player too.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
can't complain...he hopefully will be a good vet for all the young russians coming. And his versatility is great for the transition role he'll play. If you deal hayes, he becomes the 3c till Howden is ready. if chytil needs more time, he can step in as the 2C. or if chytil/hayes are still here, names can play LW next to chytil to give him a good veteran winger to play with

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Names was much more capable of taking center duties if needed than Spooner showed

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This contract is good. 2 years, not a crazy cap hit and it gives him time to prove himself. I think he will be a lot better next season with a clear head and new contract. He was definitely shell shock after the trade. So I don’t put much into his performance after the trade.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible contract ? look at comparable contracts . Riley Nash was a UFA. this guy was a RFA. If we bought UFA years what would he be worth ? $4M 4M 6.5M 6.5M ??

There goes us getting Hayes signed to a good contract

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible contract ? look at comparable contracts . Riley Nash was a UFA. this guy was a RFA. If we bought UFA years what would he be worth ? $4M 4M 6.5M 6.5M ??

*arbitration eligible RFA. I think he would have gotten more from the arbitrator.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Prior to last year Nash, in his full seasons, was a 17-25 point guy. Namestnikov has 12 fewer points in about 120 fewer games. There's quite a difference there. Maybe their overall level of skill isn't that different, but you get paid off production, and Namestnikov has been easily better in his career.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Love the length. Bit of overpayment but that really doesn’t effect us now. Can’t carry cap money over. Put up or shut up deal. Not expecting much from Vlad, hope to be surprised.

Reactions: mike14

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
The issue I have with this is it only ruins negotiations with Hayes . How can you offer him 4 X 4M when this guy is making same money.

We are looking at Hayes getting at least 5M

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Because Hayes is a goner and it doesn’t matter.

I’d honestly be shocked if he’s here this fall. Big Hayes fan but the right decision now is to move him.

Winnipeg Montreal Boston Tampa San Jose Dallas Ottawa prob would all be in.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The issue I have with this is it only ruins negotiations with Hayes . How can you offer him 4 X 4M when this guy is making same money.

Hayes' projection has always come in around $5M or slightly more for 5 years. $4.8M for 4 years. That was before this deal. I don't think this deal really changes anything. And remember, this isn't the only deal that has an affect on Hayes. There are dozens more RFAs that will sign deals that will influence what Hayes receive. They all factor in. Namestnikov's deal doesn't have more influence on Hayes' deal just because they're both Rangers. Gorton and Hayes' agent will both be looking at all the comparables, and they'll arrive at a number. That's how it goes.

EDIT: Go check out Cane's spreadsheet that predicts the values of guys based on past data. It's generally very accurate. It had Namestnikov's deal at $3.8M for 2 years. The numbers I listed above for Hayes are reflected in his numbers. It's all based on comparables.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

There is no scenario in which the Rangers offered 4x4 or that Hayes would accept anything close to 4x4

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Good thing he didn't produce when he came here. Would have garnered more.

Fair deal. Good that it's short term. Flip him out at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad