Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I understand, it's just disappointing that Rykov never had a real opportunity to show what he could do. Of course we'll have to move on from several of the guys in the system, but it's always nice to know what you have so that you can make a truly informed decision. Now I was never that high on Rykov, but as I said, it would have been nice to know what he really was.
Yep. Maybe he could have at least netted us a pick in a trade. Certainly would have rather seen Rykov than some of the other chumps we ran out there the past couple years.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yep. Maybe he could have at least netted us a pick in a trade. Certainly would have rather seen Rykov than some of the other chumps we ran out there the past couple years.

so do they qualify Rykov regardless ?
Team needs to draft Fs mostly

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
so do they qualify Rykov regardless ?
Team needs to draft Fs mostly

They should. They did the same with Klingberg and Jensen. You never know what might happen. They'd retain his rights until July 1st 2024 that way. He won't count towards the 50-limit for contracts, only the 90-player limit for players in the system. Rangers will never get close to that limit

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ragnarsson is rumored to be going back to Almtuna where he started in their youth academy. Today it was confirmed he wouldn't be back with Timrå, so that seems even more likely now.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's a nice acknowledgment. He had a very good year. He didn't always get to play much due to Michigan's high-end depth, but when he was out there he was generally noticeable and put in good work at both ends. I'm eager to see what he can do next year in what will (hopefully) be a bit of a bigger role.

There's a good amount of skill and upside there. I definitely recommend keeping an eye on him.

He has a good set of wheels he has good hands to work with. The decision making sometime doesn't quite match either of those attributes, and that's held him back a little bit, but there's definitely intriguing upside there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To be honest with this latest hiring spree I've seen McDonalds positions that offer better pay and benefits than the ECHL.

I wonder how long it will continue to stay afloat. North America doesn't really need a third developmental tier given how many better leagues there are in Europe.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To be honest with this latest hiring spree I've seen McDonalds positions that offer better pay and benefits than the ECHL.

I wonder how long it will continue to stay afloat. North America doesn't really need a third developmental tier given how many better leagues there are in Europe.
It's a good question. I think they can survive as a league, just at a lower quality. I looked up the attendance for 18-19 and 17 of the teams averaged 4K+ paid per game and about half of those were at 5K+. That's better than a number of the AHL teams (including Hartford) and pretty solid. The league seems pretty financially stable from what I understand--Covid impact notwithstanding. I think as long as there are guys coming from college and the CHL still chasing that dream, even if just for a couple seasons, they can maintain a decent product. It does seem like its future may be as an independent league, though, since as you said there's really no need for a second development league for NHL teams (other than maybe for goaltenders).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I wonder how long it will continue to stay afloat. North America doesn't really need a third developmental tier given how many better leagues there are in Europe

sorry, F, i am missing some things here, not grok-ing some of these points

what hiring spree, or other news, casts doubt on ECHL viability?

re "North America doesn't really need a third developmental tier" besides AHL what is/are other 'developmental tiers'? (NCAA, Junior, Major Junior, ...?)

not-sure an NHL-centric view reflects full rationale for lower level leagues,
as @nyr2k2 cited many of these teams are nearly self-sufficient,
but also AHL(and their NHL parents) need that next level to place overflow players and harvest call-ups when needed , European leagues arent suited for intermittent transfers to/from AHL

sorry to be high maintenance

Reactions: kovazub94

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I am a big advocate for the Rangers going F heavy(especially C heavy) in this draft. It's hard to know a ton about the prospects this year but I really hope they stop drafting so much D tbh.

Reactions: leetch99 and Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad