Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What a stupid comment lol

"All analytics" gets you teams like the Avalanche which are absolutely stomping the whole league

If you as a GM and coach has analytics against you, I think you really must review your decision and ensure that it’s well based and speaks in your favor at the bottom line.

Both Vegas and Colorado picked up really solid well skating wingers cheap when others went with more PO designed players that hasn’t had the same effect. Is Mathias Jarnmark a typical PO performer? He is in his prime. He has a great engine. He works really hard. But he is certainly not a punishing player. He is doing really well for Vegas. Colorado has picked up many players like that too, good players.

Reactions: NoQuitInNewMexico

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
As expected, Calle Sjalin and NYR didn't agree to an ELC. He becomes a free agent and NYR loses his playing rights...

NYR Player rights now on the clock are Garand, Lindbom, Lundkvist, Ragnarsson, Rempe, and Vierling. Their rights expire June 1, 2022, if not signed by then.

Reactions: kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As expected, Calle Sjalin and NYR didn't agree to an ELC. He becomes a free agent and NYR loses his playing rights...

NYR Player rights now on the clock are Garand, Lindbom, Lundkvist, Ragnarsson, Rempe, and Vierling. Their rights expire June 1, 2022, if not signed by then.

Worth noting that two picks from 2018 have their rights expire only in 2023 as they joined college a year later after playing junior hockey for another season post-draft: Simon Kjellberg (USHL) and Riley Hughes (BCHL)

Hugo Ollas is now doing the same, extending his rights to 2025

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Nobody asked but Marek Hrivik led the SwedishHL in points this past year lol

I liked him when he was here.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Nobody asked but Marek Hrivik led the SwedishHL in points this past year lol. I liked him when he was here.

Doing fairly well in the WC, too!!

and earned himself a return to KHL
MVP Чемпионата Швеции Марек Хривик - в «Торпедо»!
SWEDISH CHAMPIONSHIP MVP MAREK HRIVIK - IN TORPEDO!
The best scorer and the most valuable player of the Swedish Championship Marek Hrivik joined the Torpedo hockey club.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So yesterday my comment about "all analytics" which was extremely generalized and I never said was the right or wrong way to build a team gets called "stupid" and five people like it.

Today Pierre goes on 690 and says the exact same thing. Yes you can trash Pierre and say the Avs are analytics to (which of course they are as I f'n established).

So what does that say?

Use analytics as a tool when finding prospects (have to keep it relevant to this thread) but don't base it solely on analytics.

Pierre is a professional analyst and has been doing this a long time. Yes he has his shortcomings but he will forget more in a day than all of us collectively know.

Kind of goes to when I said DeAngelo has a lack of emotional intelligence and gets kicked off the team less than a week later.

I'm not looking for validation: my point is before you label anyone's comments on this board as stupid or have a red meat shit fest, maybe actually read what people write.

Just saying.....

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I was going to write up a post on this but Raspewtin beat me to it and hit the highlights.

In answer to Joey Bones the time period 2005-2016 is very close to the Gordie Clark/Jeff Gorton era.

Clark was director of Amateur Scouting 2005-2007 and then took over as director of player personnel 2007-2020.

Gorton signed as a pro scout 2007-2008, Asst Director player personnel 2008-2011, AGM 2001-2015, and GM 2015-2021.

There is little evidence Sather played a major role in the draft.

The Rangers player value ranked 18th over that period. This was due in part to Sather trading away four first round picks and two second round picks between 2013-2016. When you consider the expected value of the draft selections the team had the Rangers ranked seventh in outperforming their draft capital.

Even more interesting was the finding that over this period the Rangers ranked 3rd in draft performance after round 1. There's always lots of criticism, some deserved, for later round picks. But every team makes choices that don't work out and I think three teams did not even qualify 2nd round picks by July 1 this year, not even bothering to sign these players.

So it's this type of analysis that provides a better sense of a teams drafting as opposed to focusing on the players that didn't pan out. And during the Clark/Gorton regime the Rangers did very well overall and extremely well after the first round.

Which NHL teams have drafted the best and worst since 2005?

Some key takeaways

-Rangers rank 18th in GSVA for their draft picks from 2005-2016 using only the first 7 years of results (less than 7 has been extrapolated to 7) (Washington and St Louis take #1 and #2, Canucks and Devils #29 and #30)
-Rangers rank 7th in outperforming their draft capital according to GSVA (the difference of wins provided by their picks v.s. the expected value of their picks)
-Rangers rank 3rd in draft performance outside of the 1st round (trailing only Tampa and Carolina)

As a reminder, GSVA is Dom L's statistic that means to be somewhat of a hockey stand-in for WAR.

Keep in mind these results do not include 2017 onwards, drafts of which I think would significantly increase the Rangers stock.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think it's really just the bad misses that push the negative narrative around the Rangers drafting, coupled with the fact that--for whatever reason--we have been unable to draft that true, high-end, star-caliber forward. Not to state what's too obvious, but had we found Kucherov, or taken Tarasenko or Giroux or whoever, that would totally change the narrative even with every other pick being the same.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
And every team makes mistakes.

My favorite example is 2014 Tampa Bay. With complete justification everyone praises the Lightning for picking Braden Point in the 3rd round. But let's look at the rest of the draft.

In the first round Tampa chooses Anthony D'Angelo. Within two years the Lightning dump him off to Arizona for a second round pick. In taking D'Angelo at 19 Tampa passes on some guy named David Pastrnak who is picked 25 as well as Nick Schmaltz, Robbi Fabric and Kasperi Kapanen.

In the second round the Lighting have two choices. At 35 the Bolts took Dominik Masin who played 3 years in Syracuse and now is in Europe never having played an NHL game. at 59 the Lightning take BU defenseman John MacLeod. MacLeod never signs with Tampa and plays one year in the ECHL before ending his career. He is one of 12 players drafted in that second round who never played in the NHL. Tampa misses on Marcus Petterson, Brandon Montour and Christian Dvorak.

Picking Point at 79 is a great pick but if Tampa is so smart why did it wait for its fourth pick to take him? And if he was such an obvious pick why was he passed over 78 times?

As nyr2k2 says, fans focus too much on the misses their team makes and ignore the misses the other teams make. It is the type of analysis that Scott Wheeler prepared that provides a much more accurate assessment of a team's drafting success or failure.

I think it's really just the bad misses that push the negative narrative around the Rangers drafting, coupled with the fact that--for whatever reason--we have been unable to draft that true, high-end, star-caliber forward. Not to state what's too obvious, but had we found Kucherov, or taken Tarasenko or Giroux or whoever, that would totally change the narrative even with every other pick being the same.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And every team makes mistakes.

My favorite example is 2014 Tampa Bay. With complete justification everyone praises the Lightning for picking Braden Point in the 3rd round. But let's look at the rest of the draft.

In the first round Tampa chooses Anthony D'Angelo. Within two years the Lightning dump him off to Arizona for a second round pick. In taking D'Angelo at 19 Tampa passes on some guy named David Pastrnak who is picked 25 as well as Nick Schmaltz, Robbi Fabric and Kasperi Kapanen.

In the second round the Lighting have two choices. At 35 the Bolts took Dominik Masin who played 3 years in Syracuse and now is in Europe never having played an NHL game. at 59 the Lightning take BU defenseman John MacLeod. MacLeod never signs with Tampa and plays one year in the ECHL before ending his career. He is one of 12 players drafted in that second round who never played in the NHL. Tampa misses on Marcus Petterson, Brandon Montour and Christian Dvorak.

Picking Point at 79 is a great pick but if Tampa is so smart why did it wait for its fourth pick to take him? And if he was such an obvious pick why was he passed over 78 times?

As nyr2k2 says, fans focus too much on the misses their team makes and ignore the misses the other teams make. It is the type of analysis that Scott Wheeler prepared that provides a much more accurate assessment of a team's drafting success or failure.

Basically drafting 17/18 year olds can’t help but lead to players busting all the time. Some players just don’t develop and others like Point take off like gangbusters. That’s why I think it’s a good idea to focus on certain attributes such as skating because if they already have that it’s very unlikely they’re going to lose it. I also think that environment sometimes leads to better outcomes—that some players will adapt to certain teams, cities, situations than they would to others.

i don’t think the Rangers on the whole have been bad at drafting. Until recently we’ve never had top 5 picks (with the exception of Brendl) and we’ve had our share of bad luck at times—Cherepanov, Blackburn etc. Some of our bigger 1st round busts have happened in weaker drafts. Jessiman was a bad one for being a great draft year but McIlrath or Falardeau were kind of shit draft years. Even the Brendl draft wasn’t that great or the Montoya/Korpikoski draft either. In retrospect some 4th rounder like Kucherov leaves egg on the faces of pretty much every team in the league and not just the Rangers.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
be interesting to see a breakdown of Rangers drafting before and after Don Maloney left and how much significance that has in Dom L's report

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Every team has bad misses

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Every team has bad misses
I understand that. I'm just saying, the idea that we're bad at drafting is driven by the Jessiman, McIlrath, Andersson, Sanguinetti picks and so on. When in fact our drafting has otherwise been good. But those noteworthy misses are what sticks out in the minds of many fans.

Reactions: 426ers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Jim Malone, Michael Stewart, Jeff Brown, Cherneski (injury), Jessiman, Cherepanov (RIP) - you come to believe that 1st rounders who never/barely sniff an NHL bench is normal ...

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The report covers the period 2005-2016. Don Maloney was the Rangers AGM for two seasons in this period -- 2005-2007.

Here are the draft results for those years:

OVERALLTEAMPLAYERSEASONSGPGATPPIM
ROUND 1
#12New York Rangers
3.png
Marc Staal (D)
ROUND 2
#40New York Rangers
6.png
Michael Sauer (D)
#56New York Rangers
3.png
Marc-André Cliche (F)
ROUND 3
#66New York Rangers
3.png
Brodie Dupont (F)
#77New York Rangers
3.png
Dalyn Flatt (D)
ROUND 4
#107New York Rangers
3.png
Tom Pyatt (F)
ROUND 5
#147New York Rangers
3.png
Trevor Koverko (D)
ROUND 6
#178New York Rangers
3.png
Greg Beller (F)
ROUND 7
#211New York Rangers
3.png
Ryan Russell (F)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

OVERALLTEAMPLAYERSEASONSGPGATPPIM
ROUND 1
#21New York Rangers
6.png
Bobby Sanguinetti (D)
ROUND 2
#54New York Rangers
9.png
Artyom Anisimov (F)
ROUND 3
#84New York Rangers
3.png
Ryan Hillier (F)
ROUND 4
#104New York Rangers
8.png
David Kveton (F)
ROUND 5
#137New York Rangers
4.png
Tomas Zaborsky (F)
ROUND 6
#174New York Rangers
3.png
Eric Hunter (F)
ROUND 7
#204New York Rangers
4.png
Lukas Zeliska (F)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Staal and Anisimov clearly helped. Pyatt, Sauer and Chiche, along with Anisimov helped on the after first round analysis. These two years probably were positives win the analysis but I'm not sure that these 2 years out of an 11 year analysis would make a big difference.

The analysis listed the following Rangers as "notables" in determining value that draftees provided: Igor Shesterkin, Marc Staal, Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, J.T. Miller, Pavel Buchnevich. All post Maloney except Staal.

Outside the first round "notables" were: Igor Shesterkin, Pavel Buchnevich, Derek Stepan. All post-Maloney.

be interesting to see a breakdown of Rangers drafting before and after Don Maloney left and how much significance that has in Dom L's report

Reactions: ArPanet

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Really disappointing how it ended up with Rykov, I thought he could be a decent player for us. He had that ankle injury and then the situation created by COVID basically ended his chances here. Too bad. I mean he would have been passed sooner or later anyway, but it still sucks.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Really disappointing how it ended up with Rykov, I thought he could be a decent player for us. He had that ankle injury and then the situation created by COVID basically ended his chances here. Too bad. I mean he would have been passed sooner or later anyway, but it still sucks.

Yeah but this is what we've talked about. There were going to be casualties with so many D prospects. Rykov is the first one. There will be more.

Time will tell whether that's Hájek, Reunanen, Jones, Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, Schneider or Skinner but eventually, this team will have to move on from half these guys

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah but this is what we've talked about. There were going to be casualties with so many D prospects. Rykov is the first one. There will be more.

Time will tell whether that's Hájek, Reunanen, Jones, Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, Schneider or Skinner but eventually, this team will have to move on from half these guys
I understand, it's just disappointing that Rykov never had a real opportunity to show what he could do. Of course we'll have to move on from several of the guys in the system, but it's always nice to know what you have so that you can make a truly informed decision. Now I was never that high on Rykov, but as I said, it would have been nice to know what he really was.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I understand, it's just disappointing that Rykov never had a real opportunity to show what he could do. Of course we'll have to move on from several of the guys in the system, but it's always nice to know what you have so that you can make a truly informed decision. Now I was never that high on Rykov, but as I said, it would have been nice to know what he really was.

Yeah, his injury early on in 2019 really sucked the life out of his NHL career after his really good season with Sochi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad