Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
They are have different opinions, and like anyone can have very different takes, but off the top of my head I'd say (locally) Joey Bones, Steve Kournianos, Amazing Kreiderman, Hunter Gathers and few others have good insight.

There are others on the main boards or team boards that are good as well.

There are more I am forgetting at the moment. (Before I get the PMs upset that I forgot someone).

I also like a lot of the stuff from Elite Prospects.

Appreciate the shoutout, bud!! :)

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Unfortunately, not really. The Anheuser-Busch brewery is there. They have an okay zoo. I hear they have some interesting historical museums. There's a wall with a bunch of graffiti.

Honestly, St. Louis sucks. It's like a city that died 20 years ago and most of the people that live there never realized it. Everything closes at 7pm. Half of the buildings are vacant. It's kind of depressing. And everyone there thinks it's great, like they've never been in an actual city.

Hopefully NYE is some fun.

God, for AK's sake, let us hope not.

:) It was a fairly common joke on the Simpsons, back when watching the Simpsons wasn't akin to stabbing yourself in the eyes.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Well, I’ll be attending the rangers game first and then spend nye there before flying to Sarasota the next day

I visited customers in Clayton and found that general area to be pretty cool. I think Washington University is located there. Anyhow, it seemed like it was being built up nice. You may want to look into staying there versus the city proper. Also, I would skip East St. Louis, my wife was an ex police officer/detective near there. lol

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Best serious advice I can give you is have Italian food on The Hill (sometimes known as Dago Hill) and you can drive past the street where Yogi Berra and Joe Garigiola grew up.

* Just realized that you orobably have no idea who Berra and Garigiola are,

DdkWld0V0AIXY61.jpg

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is the system Pronman uses for his prospect rankings

I tend to value top talent much more than depth of decent players. Depth is incorporated though, as there is value to filling out your roster with young, cheap talent rather than looking to the marketplace; but significant weight is placed on prospects who could be stars or even upper half of the lineup players. All except one of my top 15 systems have a player who I label as a high-end prospect or better and that one system has incredible quality depth.

I value goalie prospects very conservatively. In the past 10 years or so, I’ve only rated one goalie who I thought would be a top-tier player (Andrei Vasilevskiy) and only a handful who I’d project to be a starting goalie in the NHL.

I also split players up into tiers that will be seen throughout this feature. Here is how you should interpret them:
  • Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league
  • Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.
  • High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
  • Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.
  • Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
  • Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
  • Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.
A player is no longer considered an NHL prospect if he has played more than 25 NHL games in any single season, 50 career NHL games or is older than age 27 as of Sept. 15, 2018. All other players are considered eligible.

In addition, I discuss what impact the prospects could have in the upcoming season. And I rank the organization’s top 10 for all players under 23 as of Sept. 15, 2018.

Pronman: 2018-19 NHL farm system rankings

So far Pronman has rated 4 players as high end. Tolvanen. Sprong(he loves that guy). Makar. Kaprisov.

The Rangers. They don't have a high end prospect.

Pronman named Samsonov as a very good prospect. Is Shestorkin as a very good prospect in his eyes?

How many very good for the Rangers? He likes Chytil very much. He feels Chytil has the ability to be a top line center. Pronman wrote that last season. Howdon is another player he likes. Andersson. Kravstov. Miller? Legit for Lundkvist?

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Pronman hasn't listed any Rangers as "high end" or "very good" yet in his farm rankings because he hasn't gotten to the Rangers yet.

"They don't have a high end prospect" my ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I would be surprised if he doesn't rate Chytil "high end," Pronman loves him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pronman did write this on draft night

Kravtsov is 6-foot-2, skates rather well, shows flashes of dynamic hands and is pretty coordinated for his size. He can push defenders back with speed and gain the offensive zone with control. While he can make some nice plays and shows good creativity, I think he’s more of a finisher than a playmaker; someone who could drive his offense in the NHL through leading on zone entries and finishing chances from a distance. His vision looked better to me this season than last, but he’s not going to be a guy who hovers around looking for options. He’ll need work off the puck, too, as he can get pushed off pucks a little too easily for a big man; but when he uses his body, his frame protects the puck well.
Pronman’s take: In Kravtsov, the Rangers get a player who had as great an end to the seaosn as anyone

I’ve seen in recent years to raise his stock. He’s likely only a year away from being in the NHL. He has size, big time skill and can skate. With Filip Chytil, Lias Andersson and now Kravtsov, those are three high-end forwards for their rebuild.

Pronman: Pick-by-pick breakdown of the NHL draft first round...

Richard M: Is Kravtsov really a top 10 talent based on pure skills? Or based on being a complete player? What’s the chance to see him in NA soon?

Based on what I’ve seen, I would struggle to get Vitali Kravtsov into my top 10. However, I know some NHL teams who are in love with the guy, as in clear top 10 prospect. I think teams are hoping he stays in the KHL one year, then comes over after his contract expires.

Nick S: What would be, in your opinion, the best case scenario for the Rangers?

Looking through their system, their NHL team, there’s no guy there who I think that guy either is or will be the star, the foundation of their rebuild. That guy isn’t in the farm system now. Maybe Filip Chytil –who I love — is that guy, but he’s not a top-five pick/elite prospect, and you probably don’t get that star player with the ninth pick. A best case (and unlikely) scenario for New York is one where they get very creative and finish the weekend with that kind of player in the organization.

Pronman Mailbag: Final thoughts before the 2018 draft

It all depends on how you describe elite or high end players. It's so hard to project. Who is elite? Who is high end? According to his system,a high end player is a legit top line player. Not a player who plays on the top line because they have no one else. We are going to find out. Like everyone says the Rangers don't have any elite players so they need to spend $77M on Panarin. He wasn't an elite player at 18-19-20. He didn't get drafted. He didn't sign with an NHL team until he was 23 years old.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
It's not wrong to speculate on where he will have the Rangers players rated.

What else is there to discuss on August 14th?

This is a fair point. Noted Rangers hater Pronman ain't going to be sending any compliments the Rangers way any time soon.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's not wrong to speculate on where he will have the Rangers players rated.

What else is there to discuss on August 14th?
OK, why would you speculate that the player he had rated as the game's 11th best prospect (one spot ahead of high-end prospect Cale Makar) in his last rankings wouldn't be classified as high end?

And that's if we accept that saying "The Rangers. They don't have a high end prospect." is speculation. I think that's meeting you more than halfway.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think of one of the inherent problems I've seen in the last 8 years is the over-reliance on buzz words and phrases:

Generational talent, high-end, safe, elite, skill, etc.

Within reason, they all have their time and place. But I think there's a tendency to over-rely on the concepts. As I've said before, there's a lot of subjectivity at work.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldn't be overly surprised if we didn't see Pronman rank Chytil or Kravtsov as a high-end NHL prospect. I'd guess that most of our guys fall into his very good prospect and legit NHL prospect tiers.

Dahlin is obviously his special prospect, so I'm curious to see who else lands in that tier. I could see it being Petersson or Svechnikov, but I also could see him reserving that top spot only for Dahlin. Everyone should just be prepared for when Mittelstadt is ranked as an elite prospect and Lias is only listed as a legit NHL prospect. I can already envision the hullabaloo that it'll cause in this thread.

Using his criteria, I honestly don't think our guys will fit into his first three tiers. The bias in me wants to put Chytil in that tier, but I can understand why he'd be left out of it. I think the overall conclusion is that he'll say our prospect pool is very deep but lacking that elite talent. We'll be a better than the sum of our parts sort of deal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's always interesting to compare the draft 5 or 7 years out, to 1 year out.

Even a slight change in trajectory takes a player from very good to great, or from great to very good.

Some guys trail off, other guys find an extra level. It's always fascinating.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's always interesting to compare the draft 5 or 7 years out, to 1 year out.

Even a slight change in trajectory takes a player from very good to great, or from great to very good.

Some guys trail off, other guys find an extra level. It's always fascinating.
The 2012 draft is a fun example for this exercise. It also just reminded me that Jaccob Slavin went directly after we selected Calle Andersson. Then, Pesce goes right after Tambellini in the next draft. Woof.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The 2012 draft is a fun example for this exercise. It also just reminded me that Jaccob Slavin went directly after we selected Calle Andersson. Then, Pesce goes right after Tambellini in the next draft. Woof.

It's such an interesting balancing act, because it can be so easy to become fixated on the near hits.

Skjei could've easily been Matteau, or Gaunce, or Samuelsson, or Finn.

Buchnevich could've been Cammarata or Hayden.

JT Miller could've been Mark McNeil.

Then there are guys who rise and fall.

Duclair looked like a steal from 2013-2016. He starts 2018 with his fourth NHL organization.

The more kids you see, the more of an even-keeled approach to the drafts you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad