Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On Herman's list--not sure how you can have Day at 14 and Lindgren at 25. Just saying. Everyone has an opinion for sure but there's a reason IMO why Lindgren went to the last two WJC's (was a top pair with a letter in the last one) for the USA team and Day didn't. IMO he's a lot closer to being an NHL player than Day is. I also don't value guys like Virta or Gettinger over Nieves either who has a much more realizable chance IMO of becoming an NHL player even if it's only as a 4th liner. There are a few other things---not a lot though--it's not really bad but those are my two biggest critiques of his prospect list.

Reactions: Cag29

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On Herman's list--not sure how you can have Day at 14 and Lindgren at 25. Just saying. Everyone has an opinion for sure but there's a reason IMO why Lindgren went to the last two WJC's (was a top pair with a letter in the last one) for the USA team and Day didn't. IMO he's a lot closer to being an NHL player than Day is. I also don't value guys like Virta or Gettinger over Nieves either who has a much more realizable chance IMO of becoming an NHL player even if it's only as a 4th liner. There are a few other things---not a lot though--it's not really bad but those are my two biggest critiques of his prospect list.

Yeah, but that is only because Day isn’t good at hockey and Lindgren is. Not sure what relevance that have... ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, but that is only because Day isn’t good at hockey and Lindgren is. Not sure what relevance that have... ;)

FWIW I think Day is a very good prospect but Lindgren IMO is a much better prospect. I'm actually kind of wondering if Day will be with Hartford all season and not spend some time in the ECHL. That isn't because I think he stinks but because unless the Rangers move some D or some D get injured there could be a numbers game. A for instance:

Rangers 7 D--Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, Pionk, DeAngelo, Smith, Claesson

Hartford would then be looking at---Kampfer, O'Gara, Bigras, Gilmour, Hajek, Lindgren--I like these 6 the best then there is Day, Crawley, Pedrie and Crawley and Pedrie already have some AHL experience. That looks like a pretty solid top 6 so the other thing then is how much ice time is your 7D going to get--might be better if he's playing regular in the ECHL. Hartford should have a very very good D corps this year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
FWIW I think Day is a very good prospect but Lindgren IMO is a much better prospect. I'm actually kind of wondering if Day will be with Hartford all season and not spend some time in the ECHL. That isn't because I think he stinks but because unless the Rangers move some D or some D get injured there could be a numbers game. A for instance:

Hartford would then be looking at---Kampfer, O'Gara, Bigras, Gilmour, Hajek, Lindgren--I like these 6 the best then there is Day, Crawley, Pedrie and Crawley and Pedrie already have some AHL experience. That looks like a pretty solid top 6 so the other thing then is how much ice time is your 7D going to get--might be better if he's playing regular in the ECHL. Hartford should have a very very good D corps this year.

I would be pretty surprised if the Rangers don’t carry 8.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wasn't talking about you.

You've already got your gig. I don't care for your stuff, but evidently others do, so props on that.

Again, though--I was referring to someone else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Keith Law worked in the Blue Jays organization. He can be very arrogant. Law didn't believe Severino would be a MLB starter and he was better suited for the bullpen. If you want to annoy Law,ask him about it on twitter. He might block you.

There are many Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus writers who have gone on to work for MLB teams as scouts and front office executives.

There was a poster here named X-Sharkie who would write draft previews. His name was Max Giese. The Jets hired him as an amateur scout. He is their head U.S. scout now.

I don't like Law but I also disagree with this whole 'Law didn't think Sevy was a starter'. Lots of people get stuff wrong, especially in baseball. There were legit concerns about Sevy as a starter longterm. There were also concerns about Syndergaard as a starter because he didn't have a third pitch. Baseball is a sport with lots of moving parts and the difference between player's upside and floor can be massive. It's a lot more clear in hockey and basketball.

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't like Law but I also disagree with this whole 'Law didn't think Sevy was a starter'. Lots of people get stuff wrong, especially in baseball. There were legit concerns about Sevy as a starter longterm. There were also concerns about Syndergaard as a starter because he didn't have a third pitch. Baseball is a sport with lots of moving parts and the difference between player's upside and floor can be massive. It's a lot more clear in hockey and basketball.

Keith Law blocked me on twitter because he posted a stat that was incorrect and I corrected him on it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Keith Law blocked me on twitter because he posted a stat that was incorrect and I corrected him on it.

That's the part that shits me the most about him. For instance he'll do his rankings and the moment someone disagrees with him while backed up by good info, he blocks them.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's the part that ****s me the most about him. For instance he'll do his rankings and the moment someone disagrees with him while backed up by good info, he blocks them.

I can tell you exactly what it was about too.

The Pirates announcer said something about how Adam Frazier had great numbers when in a two strike count (or in some situation I don't remember the exact one). Law made a tweet making fun of their announcer talking about how it's not true and hitters aren't better with two strikes. I posted the stats showing that, in fact, Fraziers numbers are above league average in that situation. I was then blocked.

Ah yea this one. So the announcer said Frazier is good with two strikes. Obviously that's not going to be true going forward and he meant his past results. Law thinks he's all smart by posting Fraziers 2 strike stats. A bunch of people, myself included, showed that the league average with two strikes is worse than the stat line that Law posted to try and prove of his point. Blocked.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I can tell you exactly what it was about too.

The Pirates announcer said something about how Adam Frazier had great numbers when in a two strike count (or in some situation I don't remember the exact one). Law made a tweet making fun of their announcer talking about how it's not true and hitters aren't better with two strikes. I posted the stats showing that, in fact, Fraziers numbers are above league average in that situation. I was then blocked.

Ah yea this one. So the announcer

Not surprised.

I mean I understand he'd cop lot of trolls and lot of people coming off as douches but seriously.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not surprised.

I mean I understand he'd cop lot of trolls and lot of people coming off as *****es but seriously.

It's mostly bad wording on his part and then being super combative about it. "Below career norms in all three" lol. Every hitter in the history of baseball has worse stats with two strikes than with less than two strikes.

Anyway this has nothing to do with Ranger prospects.

Reactions: darko

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

You've already got your gig. I don't care for your stuff, but evidently others do, so props on that.

Ok then full apology and I'll delete my personal medical information lol.

One thing I have to say about prospect coverage is that it's like pizza -- no matter how bad it is, it's still pretty good. Especially in the summer when there is nothing to talk about and the news cycle stops.

Fans devour prospect talk. So the onus is on the sports sites to get stuff out there. I disagree with a lot of stuff out there, but Ive learned that it's better to put out a project that angers fans rather than anger fans by not putting out a product.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Some people are so easily triggered. I agree with others that it was perfectly clear who you were referring to

Reactions: darko and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Thanks, guys. Glad the reference was understood by some, but I do know it was a little vague.

I rag on Kornanonions because he's a little thin-skinned and I don't particularly care for his product, but he IS an emerging professional and I have nothing personal against him.

The other guy, our esteemed student, is a different story. :laugh: And I'm sure he'll end up doing nice things one day, and I'll say, "Props to you, brother," when it happens. But that was who I was referencing.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

It will be interesting to see how mgmt plays this out. Day stuck around camp longer than expected last year and in my opinion that was to try and get his confidence up and an attempt to help him realize his potential, which is truly sky high. I think if he finds himself in the ECHL, he might shut down and you might just lose him mentally. Its probably safer to keep him in the AHL for at least a full season and evaluate from there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It will be interesting to see how mgmt plays this out. Day stuck around camp longer than expected last year and in my opinion that was to try and get his confidence up and an attempt to help him realize his potential, which is truly sky high. I think if he finds himself in the ECHL, he might shut down and you might just lose him mentally. Its probably safer to keep him in the AHL for at least a full season and evaluate from there.

Not against that idea at all but it would mean moving one of the top 6 not named Lindgren, Hajek. If you look at the other 4 they all have some NHL experience. Gilmour ran Hartford's pwp last year more than any other D. He has some defensive issues though but if anything he might even be a better skater than Day. Bigras might be a regular NHL D by now if his career hadn't been somewhat sidelined by injuries. Kampfer is an older pro--a gamer and a guy who does what's asked of him--that's why he's stucked around the NHL so long. O'Gara steadied out after a horrible beginning with the Rangers. I think all four of these guys have an outside shot to make the Rangers out of training camp but to make room for Day one of them is going to have to be moved---unless of course there are injuries.

But even with all of that there is still Crawley and Pedrie and both have a full year in the AHL. Day's got great tools but he's also got to play better than both of these guys too who have already seem what pro life and the AHL are all about. But really there looks to be a glut right now and you can see why the Rangers cut ties with Bereglazov and Zborovskiy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Have you ever tried pizza in the Mid-west? Cardboard with spaghetti-o's sauce cut into squares.
I used regularly travel to STL for business. There's this one chain that everyone loves. Can't believe I forgot what it was. Anyway, that and all St. Louis pizza is f***ing sickening.

Reactions: Miamipuck

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’ll be in St Louis for NYE. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately, not really. The Anheuser-Busch brewery is there. They have an okay zoo. I hear they have some interesting historical museums. There's a wall with a bunch of graffiti.

Honestly, St. Louis sucks. It's like a city that died 20 years ago and most of the people that live there never realized it. Everything closes at 7pm. Half of the buildings are vacant. It's kind of depressing. And everyone there thinks it's great, like they've never been in an actual city.

Hopefully NYE is some fun.
East St. Louis??

God, for AK's sake, let us hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad