Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yeah, I don't hate Pronman or even dislike him, per se.

I just don't think he has any particularly great insight, or brings anything to the table that results in a greater degree of accuracy when it comes to evaluating and observing prospects. If you're going to be that Millenial, *****ie, social media darling kind of guy, I expect to see consistent results that are above average.

I expect to see insights that other people aren't talking about until later, I expect to see track records that highlighted talent AHEAD of the curve, not the blind squirrel occasionally finding a nut type.

If you've seen something, I expect you to take credit for that observation. However, if you're taking someone else's observations, because you haven't seen a prospect, or don't have a particular read on them, I expect you to acknowledge that as well. That's basic reporting ethics and anyone who's spent more than a semester in a journalism class knows that.

In the end, Pronman is entitled to his opinion. Like most people, there are times where he is correct and times where he is incorrect. But I'm not someone who follows him and thinks he's one of the better people attempting to do what he can do. I think there's better out there. Much better.

Edge - who are some of your go-to guys for prospect evaluation?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His name is Edge. In real life. And he looks like the guy in Edge's profile pic
il_570xN.920659947_s3uk.jpg

The real Edge. :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge - who are some of your go-to guys for prospect evaluation?

They are have different opinions, and like anyone can have very different takes, but off the top of my head I'd say (locally) Joey Bones, Steve Kournianos, Amazing Kreiderman, Hunter Gathers and few others have good insight.

There are others on the main boards or team boards that are good as well.

There are more I am forgetting at the moment. (Before I get the PMs upset that I forgot someone).

I also like a lot of the stuff from Elite Prospects.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His name is Edge. In real life. And he looks like the guy in Edge's profile pic

Met a few people at the draft party.

Wished I'd had time to shave, and change out of my slacks and dress shoes, but I probably looked pretty close to my profile pic. Especially when I found out my cocktail was going to cost me nearly $30 bucks with tip.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They are have different opinions, and like anyone can have very different takes, but off the top of my head I'd say (locally) Joey Bones, Steve Kournianos, Amazing Kreiderman, Hunter Gathers and few others have good insight.

There are others on the main boards or team boards that are good as well.

There are more I am forgetting at the moment. (Before I get the PMs upset that I forgot someone).

I also like a lot of the stuff from Elite Prospects.

Thanks for mentioning me, but I would like to add that I focus mainly on Europe-based players and international tournaments. Living in Austria, I don't really watch Canadian Juniors aside from my fav team, the Thunderbirds (WHL).

Seeing the Rangers use a lot of their picks, especially the higher ones, on European players is great for me, because it gives me a purpose to travel to cities like Liberec, Turku, Goteborg and this season Chelyabinsk, Lulea and Uppsala.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thanks for mentioning me, but I would like to add that I focus mainly on Europe-based players and international tournaments. Living in Austria, I don't really watch Canadian Juniors aside from my fav team, the Thunderbirds (WHL).

Seeing the Rangers use a lot of their picks, especially the higher ones, on European players is great for me, because it gives me a purpose to travel to cities like Liberec, Turku, Goteborg and this season Chelyabinsk, Lulea and Uppsala.

I think everyone has their specific areas of focus or strength.

For example, I don't have the depth of knowledge about nearly as many lower leagues as I do the "major" leagues --- both in Europe or North America.

If someone wants to ask about High School hockey, or some of the less known European junior leagues, I have to either defer to someone else or relay what's been said by others. I always try to make a clear distinction when that happens.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Keith Law worked in the Blue Jays organization. He can be very arrogant. Law didn't believe Severino would be a MLB starter and he was better suited for the bullpen. If you want to annoy Law,ask him about it on twitter. He might block you.

There are many Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus writers who have gone on to work for MLB teams as scouts and front office executives.

There was a poster here named X-Sharkie who would write draft previews. His name was Max Giese. The Jets hired him as an amateur scout. He is their head U.S. scout now.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've always understood both sides of the coin in these types of discussions.

On the one hand, there are a number of people working in sports who can be very arrogant. They're very opinionated and they seldom admit when they're wrong.

On the other hand, you kind of have to be in those environments. If the sharks smell blood in the water, you're done for.

I also understand what it's like to have an argument who has absolutely no clue what the hell they're talking about and how frustrating that can be. But I also think social media has made it a little too easy for people to create echo chambers, especially in the world of sports and politics.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've always understood both sides of the coin in these types of discussions.

On the one hand, there are a number of people working in sports who can be very arrogant. They're very opinionated and they seldom admit when they're wrong.

On the other hand, you kind of have to be in those environments. If the sharks smell blood in the water, you're done for.

I also understand what it's like to have an argument who has absolutely no clue what the hell they're talking about and how frustrating that can be. But I also think social media has made it a little too easy for people to create echo chambers, especially in the world of sports and politics.

I have no problem with arrogance as long as it stays civil. But when certain journalists (somewhat out of the scope of this specific conversation) call the professional idiots, I stop listening to them.

Reactions: Edge

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
In Adam Herman’s final prospect ratings, he reported that Chytil had a concussion last season. Wasn’t this refuted and only reported as a minor neck injury?

Here’s the link to his top-5 which also has a link to the rest of his rankings. I’d say he did an overall really solid job, even if I disagree with some of them.
Blueshirt Banter 2018 New York Rangers Prospect Rankings: 5-1

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
In Adam Herman’s final prospect ratings, he reported that Chytil had a concussion last season. Wasn’t this refuted and only reported as a minor neck injury?

Here’s the link to his top-5 which also has a link to the rest of his rankings. I’d say he did an overall really solid job, even if I disagree with some of them.
Yes, it is poor reporting.

Adam Herman does a good job at being around the team and giving updates on what he sees and hears. His evaluations aren't anything note-worthy and his research is shoddy at best.

He also is likely reading this, and he can get pretty petty and sour on social media.

Reactions: eco's bones

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Yeah, I think it was officially a neck sprain or strain and not a concussion.

Another note I had about Lias’ write up is that he absolutely drove that line at the WJC with Pettersson and Nylander (not saying he’s the best one of the 3 by any stretch), the first few games when they were on separate lines Pettersson and Nylander couldn’t score at even strength, even having trouble generating sustained pressure, and got their points on the powerplay with Lias on the ice with them, and then when Lias was moved onto their line, they started scoring at even strength.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Who knows what to believe, I wouldn't be surprised to learn teams cover up concussions.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Back when I was still working, I had a chance to meet Pronman at an ESPN event. My takeaway was that he really works at his craft. He told me that he saw over 100 games a year live and another several hundred on playback of some kind. He was also very candid about some players he really liked and a couple he missed on. I found him to be pretty authentic. Don’t always agree with him but he isn’t some guy sitting in his parents basement.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Don't think so. He had several UBI last year in Hartford. Neck injury was one of them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He had one injury last year where Andreas Johnsson, a Leafs prospect, hit him from behind into a stanchion. Johnsson was given the 5+10 and booted from the game and then suspended on top of it. It was initially speculated and IIRC even reported that Chytil was concussed. It ended up that it was a cervical strain.

Reactions: Fvital92

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He had one injury last year where Andreas Johnsson, a Leafs prospect, hit him from behind into a stanchion. Johnsson was given the 5+10 and booted from the game and then suspended on top of it. It was initially speculated and IIRC even reported that Chytil was concussed. It ended up that it was a cervical strain.
Yeah, this is the injury I was referencing. Were their other injuries for Chytil last season?

Adam may have heard something else through the grapevine, which is why I’m curious if he’s referring to the Johnsson hit of something else.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Back when I was still working, I had a chance to meet Pronman at an ESPN event. My takeaway was that he really works at his craft. He told me that he saw over 100 games a year live and another several hundred on playback of some kind. He was also very candid about some players he really liked and a couple he missed on. I found him to be pretty authentic. Don’t always agree with him but he isn’t some guy sitting in his parents basement.

Then my sincere hope is that he's able to improve his game with time, experience and hard work.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes, it is poor reporting.

Adam Herman does a good job at being around the team and giving updates on what he sees and hears. His evaluations aren't anything note-worthy and his research is shoddy at best.

He also is likely reading this, and he can get pretty petty and sour on social media.

I like Herman, but I like his work more as a reporter or an analyst, rather than someone who evaluates particular prospects --- though I definitely share some of his less popular opinions.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, this is the injury I was referencing. Were their other injuries for Chytil last season?

Adam may have heard something else through the grapevine, which is why I’m curious if he’s referring to the Johnsson hit of something else.

I think Chytil had some other bumps and bruises but no reported concussions (at least by the team and its mouthpiece, Brooks)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Searching “Chytil concussion” in twitter got a lot of talk about calling Chytil up after Zibanejad’s concussion, a tweet from just some guy in late May mentioning Chytil got concussed during a play to set up Horak’s goal, and this Pronman tweet (about the Marlins game hit before the WJC):

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad