Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Wow, yeah. As a 14-year old Gropp played a couple games and even scored a goal.

It's too bad that Gropp wasn't a later round pick. I feel like most of us (myself included) got off on the wrong foot with him. I tried to remain positive about him as long as made sense, but at this point there's no doubting that that pick was a pure whiff.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Wow, yeah. As a 14-year old Gropp played a couple games and even scored a goal.

It's too bad that Gropp wasn't a later round pick. I feel like most of us (myself included) got off on the wrong foot with him. I tried to remain positive about him as long as made sense, but at this point there's no doubting that that pick was a pure whiff.
I don’t mind as much as some others do because most second rounders end up being whiffs anyway, and in his draft year (if I’m remembering this right) Gropp carried Seattle while Barzal was hurt

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don’t mind as much as some others do because most second rounders end up being whiffs anyway, and in his draft year (if I’m remembering this right) Gropp carried Seattle while Barzal was hurt

Yeah, I remember it the same way. I think he started slowing down a little before Barzal came back, and then once he did come back he settled into the same groove he had been in before.

That stretch without Barzal was as close as I came to being optimistic about his development. Everything else felt like wishful thinking after that.

I do agree with you though that we expect way too much (as do all fanbases) from individual picks. Just stings a little more when we all have the impression that we seen it coming.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I remember it the same way. I think he started slowing down a little before Barzal came back, and then once he did come back he settled into the same groove he had been in before.

That stretch without Barzal was as close as I came to being optimistic about his development. Everything else felt like wishful thinking after that.

I do agree with you though that we expect way too much (as do all fanbases) from individual picks. Just stings a little more when we all have the impression that we seen it coming.
Yeah, I get why everyone was and is down on that pick, it had way too much outside stuff tied up in it (trading Hagelin/trading up, highest pick in a few years), but with hindsight it helps that there’s really no slam dunk they missed out on, even including Sprong

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I get why everyone was and is down on that pick, it had way too much outside stuff tied up in it (trading Hagelin/trading up, highest pick in a few years), but with hindsight it helps that there’s really no slam dunk they missed out on, even including Sprong

I think that last part often gets swept under the rug. Sometimes there are obvious misses and you kick yourself for not landing a talent.

Other times there are a lot of guys who people get really upset about for a number of years, and in the end they fade into obscurity.

There are lot of names we can throw out there that made this board lose their minds at different points in time.

But you know why no one talks about Daniel Fernholm? Because in the end it didn’t matter.

Reactions: Irishguy42

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017

I'm sure some statements can be taken a little out of context and run with, however, as has been mentioned before, on this ocassion in particular, Clark's comments really did him no favours from the get go. And quite frankly, they just seemed bizarre. I've been reading the boards since long before I joined, and I remember quite a few jaws dropping when he came out with what he did.

On another note, though, like George said, didn't help we hadn't seem to have had a high pick since Moses was a boy.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Michael St. Croix tore up the WHL--a better league than the BCHL--junior numbers aren't always what they seem. Fogarty also played in the BCHL and produced at better than a point a game pace. He needed 4 years of college and he's in his third pro season now and he's kind of okay as a callup.

Hughes is going to Northeastern next year. He's pretty much at the beginning of his hockey journey. The Notre Dame coaches turned Fogarty into a responsible two way player. I imagine Hughes is going to need the same kind of help.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't understand how we have so many hockey experts here who DON'T ACTUALLY WATCH THE PLAYERS.
I watch everyone I can at least a few times. Shit, I spent an hour and a half watching a USHL game the other night so I could see Simon Kjellberg and give a report.

What about you? Do you pay for a subscription to watch BCHL games? Or do you live out in Victoria and watch Hughes' games locally?

We can watch guys and have different opinions. Pionk, DeAngelo. Everyone watches the games and has different opinions on them. I don't know why you get all bent out of shape that everyone isn't fawning over Hughes, a late-round pick with some nice skill having a decent season in a mediocre league. Pretty much everyone likes him and is hopeful for him.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I watch everyone I can at least a few times. ****, I spent an hour and a half watching a USHL game the other night so I could see Simon Kjellberg and give a report.

What about you? Do you pay for a subscription to watch BCHL games? Or do you live out in Victoria and watch Hughes' games locally?

We can watch guys and have different opinions. Pionk, DeAngelo. Everyone watches the games and has different opinions on them. I don't know why you get all bent out of shape that everyone isn't fawning over Hughes, a late-round pick with some nice skill having a decent season in a mediocre league. Pretty much everyone likes him and is hopeful for him.
You’re arguing with the person that has the same shtick every year of making up some fake draft prospect as if it were ever actually funny to begin with. Other than that, they bitch and moan about Lias. Don’t waste your time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This BS poster has given exactly zero in-game or post-game reports on Hughes, or any prospect for that matter, and has a nerve of calling out the whole board. I’m 100% sure he hasn’t watched more than a few highlights, if that. Simply obnoxious...

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This BS poster has given exactly zero in-game or post-game reports on Hughes, or any prospect for that matter, and has a nerve of calling out the whole board. I’m 100% sure he hasn’t watched more than a few highlights, if that. Simply obnoxious...

Someone living in NYC claiming to have a better opinion on someone playing in the BCHL... Yeah, call me skeptical on that one.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
It's not about numbers with what I'm talking about. You can see Riley is a well rounded player with a good shot. But more than that though I like the way he moves around the net and puts himself in position. He knows where the spaces are and has good instincts and anticipation. That will translate to college and then the next level. You can't teach that offensive awareness.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's not about numbers with what I'm talking about. You can see Riley is a well rounded player with a good shot. But more than that though I like the way he moves around the net and puts himself in position. He knows where the spaces are and has good instincts and anticipation. That will translate to college and then the next level. You can't teach that offensive awareness.

....In the BCHL

Reactions: nyr2k2

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As long as he's chugging along at roughly 1.0 PPG pace, idgaf.

Let him simmer at that and then see what he does in NCAA.

If he falls below 0.75 PPG by the end of the season, then we can throw up some sirens.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Look all I am saying is when this kid comes out of nowhere to become a good prospect I take credit for drumming it up first. You are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad