Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018

Here’s a nice save if anyone still cares about Halverson lol

It's a disgrace Halverson isn't on the Pack. Both of the goalies there are terrible. They Rangers used a 2nd round pick on him. The organization owes the fan base an explanation. He's got a stellar save % in a league that plays no defense. His save % last year for the pack in 5 games was the second best on the team. I can only think that he has had some kind of conflict with BA or management. There simply is no reason he's not on the Pack getting the majority of the games.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It's a disgrace Halverson isn't on the Pack. Both of the goalies there are terrible. They Rangers used a 2nd round pick on him. The organization owes the fan base an explanation. He's got a stellar save % in a league that plays no defense. His save % last year for the pack in 5 games was the second best on the team. I can only think that he has had some kind of conflict with BA or management. There simply is no reason he's not on the Pack getting the majority of the games.
Georgiev was clearly ahead of him last season.

This season, there's a carousel of Tokarski, Mazanec, and Georgiev being sent down to get games during layoffs. That's not a good environment for Halverson to be in right now. He needs to be getting a lot of games and finding his footing, which he appears to be doing in Maine. Halverson's problem has always been consistency. Even in the clip you posted, him giving the puck away was the reason he needed to make that big save.

Also, neither Tokarski or Mazanec are signed past this season, so if the front office feels he's ready to take on the workload in Hartford, he'll get it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Right, I felt like it didn’t match up in my head, but fortune favors the bold and all (definitely not in this case:rolly:)

Edit: I must have been thinking of Fast changed to 19 after Richards
Yep, Fast wore 91 at first, then when Richards was bought out he switched to 19 and then we announced we were retiring 19 for Ratelle he switched to 17.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As one of the last Halverson holdouts around, I have to respond to this because it's really shortsighted.

Halverson was drafted not as a star, but as a goalie on a stacked team that showed flashes of tremendous ability along with good size and athleticism for the position. His D+1 year, he was pretty good, but his Soo team crapped out in the semis despite being favorites to win. His D+2 year, he was not particularly good at all on a less-talented Soo team. Still, he had his moments; I remember watching them.

Then he gets to Hartford and has to compete with Hellberg and Skakpski, both of whom had been decent AHL goalies prior to that point and had a few NHL starts. Everyone that year was horrible. Halverson saw 9 ECHL games but also 26 AHL games, which is not unreasonable for someone making his pro debut who was still very much a work in progress. He wasn't good, anywhere.

His next year (last season) he again had to compete for a job. Mazanec, a guy with limited but actual NHL experience, was obviously going to get starts as you want someone in the AHL who can step into NHL action when needed, ideally. Georgiev they liked a lot, enough to sign him to an ELC right out of Liiga when otherwise the roster was generally set. When Mazanec went down it could have presented an opportunity for any of the other guys (Nell got it but was horrible) and Georgiev stepped up. His play down the stretch was the best we had in Hartford in years, and then he was good in the NHL to boot. Meanwhile Halverson was down being mediocre in Greenville, where nothing separated him from some guy named Ty Rimmer and a half-dozen other pieces of garbage.

Yeah, he posted a .906 SV% in Hartford. It was five games. Mazanec was at .905 through 20 games. Georgiev was at .909 through 37 games. Arguing the merits of a player at any position because of five games is just ridiculous on so many fronts.

Jump forward to this year. He's going to compete with three guys that have actual NHL experience, including the one guy who the team clearly views as a piece of the future in Georgiev. Where does Halverson fit in? At no point had he done anything to lead anyone to believe he was capable of being a productive AHL starter for more than five games (which weren't even all good, by the way). So he goes to Maine to get minutes. There is nothing unreasonable about sending a young goalie to the ECHL when he has not shown he is capable of playing in the AHL. The fact that he is a former second round pick is irrelevant at this point; you don't assign players to levels based on their draft position four years after the fact. You put them where they belong. He belonged in the ECHL.

And now, maybe--maybe!--he is starting to figure it out in Maine, as I've noted a few times. His play has been the best it has ever been! It has actually been good. Which is nice, because for the first time as a pro, he's the undisputed starter for his team--which obviously was not going to happen before, and in a part time capacity he just wasn't cutting it.

Maybe he has put himself in line for a call-up later in the year. He has to keep up his play. The fact of it is, he's a third-year pro doing well in the ECHL. That doesn't win you any points. The team owes us nothing. Scratch that--they owe that they'll place the kids where they belong, like Gropp and Ronning in the ECHL. He doesn't automatically get to come up and displace guys that are way more established than him. The reason he started in Hartford was so he could continue to get starts while better players (to this point) played in Hartford. He's where he is due to nothing but his own mediocrity to this point in his career. No one to blame but himself. But, he appears to maybe be developing, turning a corner. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he does he'll get a chance--he's had chances before and just never really seized them.

Anyway, I never thought I'd dedicate this many words to Halverson. Even in defending him I usually keep it brief. :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Almost nothing that Halverson's done since we've drafted him leads me to think he's a future NHL goalie. I'm kind of expecting when his and Chris Nell's contracts are up at the end of the season that neither will be re-signed.

We may be revisiting the same scenarios the next couple seasons with Gropp and Day. It is what it is---sometimes guys you wouldn't expect work out and sometimes guys you have a lot of hope for--don't work out.

My thoughts on all of the above are they're going to bust.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As one of the last Halverson holdouts around, I have to respond to this because it's really shortsighted.

Halverson was drafted not as a star, but as a goalie on a stacked team that showed flashes of tremendous ability along with good size and athleticism for the position. His D+1 year, he was pretty good, but his Soo team crapped out in the semis despite being favorites to win. His D+2 year, he was not particularly good at all on a less-talented Soo team. Still, he had his moments; I remember watching them.

Then he gets to Hartford and has to compete with Hellberg and Skakpski, both of whom had been decent AHL goalies prior to that point and had a few NHL starts. Everyone that year was horrible. Halverson saw 9 ECHL games but also 26 AHL games, which is not unreasonable for someone making his pro debut who was still very much a work in progress. He wasn't good, anywhere.

His next year (last season) he again had to compete for a job. Mazanec, a guy with limited but actual NHL experience, was obviously going to get starts as you want someone in the AHL who can step into NHL action when needed, ideally. Georgiev they liked a lot, enough to sign him to an ELC right out of Liiga when otherwise the roster was generally set. When Mazanec went down it could have presented an opportunity for any of the other guys (Nell got it but was horrible) and Georgiev stepped up. His play down the stretch was the best we had in Hartford in years, and then he was good in the NHL to boot. Meanwhile Halverson was down being mediocre in Greenville, where nothing separated him from some guy named Ty Rimmer and a half-dozen other pieces of garbage.

Yeah, he posted a .906 SV% in Hartford. It was five games. Mazanec was at .905 through 20 games. Georgiev was at .909 through 37 games. Arguing the merits of a player at any position because of five games is just ridiculous on so many fronts.

Jump forward to this year. He's going to compete with three guys that have actual NHL experience, including the one guy who the team clearly views as a piece of the future in Georgiev. Where does Halverson fit in? At no point had he done anything to lead anyone to believe he was capable of being a productive AHL starter for more than five games (which weren't even all good, by the way). So he goes to Maine to get minutes. There is nothing unreasonable about sending a young goalie to the ECHL when he has not shown he is capable of playing in the AHL. The fact that he is a former second round pick is irrelevant at this point; you don't assign players to levels based on their draft position four years after the fact. You put them where they belong. He belonged in the ECHL.

And now, maybe--maybe!--he is starting to figure it out in Maine, as I've noted a few times. His play has been the best it has ever been! It has actually been good. Which is nice, because for the first time as a pro, he's the undisputed starter for his team--which obviously was not going to happen before, and in a part time capacity he just wasn't cutting it.

Maybe he has put himself in line for a call-up later in the year. He has to keep up his play. The fact of it is, he's a third-year pro doing well in the ECHL. That doesn't win you any points. The team owes us nothing. Scratch that--they owe that they'll place the kids where they belong, like Gropp and Ronning in the ECHL. He doesn't automatically get to come up and displace guys that are way more established than him. The reason he started in Hartford was so he could continue to get starts while better players (to this point) played in Hartford. He's where he is due to nothing but his own mediocrity to this point in his career. No one to blame but himself. But, he appears to maybe be developing, turning a corner. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he does he'll get a chance--he's had chances before and just never really seized them.

Anyway, I never thought I'd dedicate this many words to Halverson. Even in defending him I usually keep it brief. :laugh:

Very good game. But, you know what, all you described is why gambling on a goalie in the 2nd round is such a foolish endeavor. In most cases the payoff is rare. You are almost better off taking a surefire goalie in the first than gambling on one in the second round, which unless there is evidence to the contrary that I’m not aware of, has no more success rate than taking one in the later rounds.

Reactions: eco's bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Very good game. But, you know what, all you described is why gambling on a goalie in the 2nd round is such a foolish endeavor. In most cases the payoff is rare. You are almost better off taking a surefire goalie in the first than gambling on one in the second round, which unless there is evidence to the contrary that I’m not aware of, has no more success rate than taking one in the later rounds.
Yeah IDK about the success rate of goalies relative to the round they're taken, but for me I'm going fourth round, maybe third round at the earliest. Unless there's some stud and it's a huge position of need, I guess.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
" ... His next year (last season) he again had to compete for a job. Mazanec, a guy with limited but actual NHL experience, was obviously going to get starts ... When Mazanec went down it could have presented an opportunity for any of the other guys (Nell got it but was horrible) and Georgiev stepped up. .. Meanwhile Halverson was down being mediocre in Greenville ...

thing is, last year, perhaps on merit, Halverson didn't get opportunity to compete for time in Hartford until briefly, beginning late January.
He was sent down at season start, with Nell and Georgiev kept in Hartford.

Mazanec didn't arrive until December.
Halverson wasn't recalled even while Nell struggled.

No that i think its a big deal, this is just his 22 year old season.
It seems he's been much better lately at Maine, after a poor start.

It's not too late for him to establish a mutli-year pro career, obviously he is not on track to likely ever be a NHL #1.
That feeds into the ongoing comments here, about drafting a Goalie so high (#59) which have been regularly made here since Lindbom was chosen at #39.

Halverson's ELC expires in the spring. Nell's too.
Its iffy whether they will qualify either.
Me, I'd like them to ELC 2017 TC attendee Joseph Raaymakers, currently overaging at 20 with London.
I doubt either NCAA goalie will come out after their Junior year, neither has been consistently great

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...abbits-unveil-opening-night-roster/761465001/
" ... in Greenville. He'll be joined by seven players who spent all or part of the 2016-17 season with the Swamp Rabbits -- goaltender Brandon Halverson, ..."

Marek Mazanec at eliteprospects.com
12/05/2017 Confirmed HC Slovan Bratislava > New York Rangers

TheAHL.com
2018-01-20 Brandon Halverson (G) Hartford ADD Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) from Greenville (ECHL)

TheAHL.com
2018-03-04 Brandon Halverson (G) Hartford DEL Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
The facts are this. The two goalies playing for the Pack are veteran garbage that had their chance over the years and sucked. Rangers used a second round pick on Halverson. There is ZERO reason not to be playing him every game in the AHL. The Pack suck and aren't going anywhere. If you truly are rebuilding, then you don't keep your second round pick in the ECHL with a .921 save % and play two vet scrubs on your AHL team. It's moronic.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The facts are this. The two goalies playing for the Pack are veteran garbage that had their chance over the years and sucked. Rangers used a second round pick on Halverson. There is ZERO reason not to be playing him every game in the AHL. The Pack suck and aren't going anywhere. If you truly are rebuilding, then you don't keep your second round pick in the ECHL with a .921 save % and play two vet scrubs on your AHL team. It's moronic.
Halverson hasn't proven a single thing, other than he can play well for a 15 game stretch. He certainly hasn't forced the hand of management.

He's right where he needs to be right now. He's getting more work in Maine than the Hartford starters are, both in total starts and shots against per game.

The front office isn't going to let the likes of Tokarski, Mazanec, and Nell block Halverson's path if he earns it. Tokarski and Mazanec were signed as stop gaps with pro experience in case Georgiev regressed, and because Halverson has been shaky as hell. Nell is a college UFA that didn't pan out.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
thing is, last year, perhaps on merit, Halverson didn't get opportunity to compete for time in Hartford until briefly, beginning late January.
He was sent down at season start, with Nell and Georgiev kept in Hartford.

Mazanec didn't arrive until December.
Halverson wasn't recalled even while Nell struggled.

No that i think its a big deal, this is just his 22 year old season.
It seems he's been much better lately at Maine, after a poor start.

It's not too late for him to establish a mutli-year pro career, obviously he is not on track to likely ever be a NHL #1.
That feeds into the ongoing comments here, about drafting a Goalie so high (#59) which have been regularly made here since Lindbom was chosen at #39.

Halverson's ELC expires in the spring. Nell's too.
Its iffy whether they will qualify either.
Me, I'd like them to ELC 2017 TC attendee Joseph Raaymakers, currently overaging at 20 with London.
I doubt either NCAA goalie will come out after their Junior year, neither has been consistently great

Swamp Rabbits unveil opening-night roster
" ... in Greenville. He'll be joined by seven players who spent all or part of the 2016-17 season with the Swamp Rabbits -- goaltender Brandon Halverson, ..."

Marek Mazanec at eliteprospects.com
12/05/2017 Confirmed HC Slovan Bratislava > New York Rangers

TheAHL.com
2018-01-20 Brandon Halverson (G) Hartford ADD Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) from Greenville (ECHL)

TheAHL.com
2018-03-04 Brandon Halverson (G) Hartford DEL Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)
That's fair, however it's worth pointing out that when Halverson was cut from NYR camp he went to Hartford's camp. And if memory serves, Georgiev and Nell were cut from main camp and assigned to Hartford before Halverson was. So, I don't think they had it in for Halverson or anything like that; I think they took a long look at him before sending him to Hartford camp and then ultimately to Greenville. I think they fairly evaluated everyone and then made assignments.

From there--and unfortunately the ECHL has completely broken their website with the new design, and I can't find game logs--Halverson got off to a very bad start. The other guy, Rimmer, played extremely well went he first came in. So while Nell was struggling, there was no reason to recall Halverson, who was also struggling at a lower level and being outplayed by a nobody. This was why they brought in Mazanec, because Nell couldn't hack it and Halverson was doing nothing in the ECHL to make the case for a promotion.

IIRC it wasn't until well into the second half of last season where Halverson really turned it on in Greenville (and when Rimmer starter playing like Rimmer). So, as I said initially--it's on him. Maybe there were some unfortunate circumstances, but other times--like both Georgiev and Nell struggling to start last year--Halverson didn't really deserve a chance on merit. When he was playing better in the second half, unfortunately, so were Mazanec and Georgiev.

He's an RFA after the year. His QO is about $875,000. He'll need to catch a break and get back to the AHL and play well there if he wants to get qualified. Maybe if he keeps playing well in Hartford we can loan him to another AHL team, if we want to keep Mazanec and Tokarski in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad