Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Look all I am saying is when this kid comes out of nowhere to become a good prospect I take credit for drumming it up first. You are going to be pleasantly surprised.
That's actually horseshit. Ever since someone posted that Pronman had him ranked 74th in the draft overall, a ton of people have talked up the kid as a potential sleeper, a diamond in the rough, late-round steal, etc. You're acting like you're the only one that's aware of the kid or excited about his potential, when in fact the opposite is true.

I provide a lot of the prospect updates in this thread. If once per week I post, "Riley Hughes is still doing more or less what you'd hope he'd be doing in the BCHL, and is still on track to play actually meaningful games next year!" would you be happy?

:laugh:

Honestly, your fascination with the kid and this idea that only you are aware of his potential is hilarious, but also one of the more bizarre things I've seen here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's hilarious how desperate some people are for some recognition. It's easy to talk up a prospect but the real maturity shows when you admit your mistakes. I've been wrong before. Steven Fogarty, Shane McColgan and Brad Morrison for instance. I may be wrong about Patrik Virta as well. It doesn't bother me.

But yeah, proclaiming your support for a prospect and already bringing up how you will be the only one who saw his ability if he ever pans out is just hilarious. Aside from the fact that you're not the only one who thinks Hughes is a good prospect :laugh:

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
It's hilarious how desperate some people are for some recognition. It's easy to talk up a prospect but the real maturity shows when you admit your mistakes. I've been wrong before. Steven Fogarty, Shane McColgan and Brad Morrison for instance. I may be wrong about Patrik Virta as well. It doesn't bother me.

But yeah, proclaiming your support for a prospect and already bringing up how you will be the only one who saw his ability if he ever pans out is just hilarious. Aside from the fact that you're not the only one who thinks Hughes is a good prospect :laugh:

This is an asinine statement considering I have been here twice as long as you and have 1/8 of your comments. GROW UP. I could care less about approval from strangers I will never meet in a message board about hockey prospects. This is a discussion about hockey prospects. Keep it that way.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is an asinine statement considering I have been here twice as long as you and have 1/8 of your comments. GROW UP. I could care less about approval from strangers I will never meet in a message board about hockey prospects. This is a discussion about hockey prospects. Keep it that way.

Lol at you telling someone to grow up. The level of immaturity you’re exhibiting is at a rarified level very few could attain.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Look all I am saying is when this kid comes out of nowhere to become a good prospect I take credit for drumming it up first. You are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Doesn't sound like someone who "could care less about approval from strangers"

Oh, and you being here since 2005 makes you more credible? Alright then.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's not about numbers with what I'm talking about. You can see Riley is a well rounded player with a good shot. But more than that though I like the way he moves around the net and puts himself in position. He knows where the spaces are and has good instincts and anticipation. That will translate to college and then the next level. You can't teach that offensive awareness.

The guy skates like a log and isn't entirely physical. Here's a shift-by-shift with Alex Newhook, Hughes' centerman.... He's got a long way to go....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes for a forward the easy thing is putting up points at lower levels but when they go on to higher levels the not so exciting stuff like defensive play and play without the puck, hitting and penalty killing is what will make or break them as far as---can they go on to even higher levels? Look at St. Croix, Gropp and Tambellini for instance. It's not that their bad hockey players--it's more they couldn't adapt their games at the pro level enough to even get a sniff at the NHL. Look at a guy like Nigel Dawes who did stick around for a while but really needed to develop an overall game and didn't.

You know one guy who rounded out his game at the NHL level?---that's Chris Kreider and that was often a frustrating process to watch--including the not so great time he spent in the AHL--but Kreider has a bunch of things that Hughes doesn't have--like size and strength and he skates like a gazelle and has a great shot. It's kind of the same thing happening with Chytil. He's learning about play away with the puck on the go but he's also a massive talent.

Hughes is going to have to work on his skating and it's more than likely if he does make it--it will be because he's done a lot of work to round out his game. The BCHL is a good league but not a great league and it's not the best place for a forward to round his game out. Northeastern will be a lot better place for that. Let's see how his next year goes.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
It was a disgrace Dawes never became a good NHL player. He was freakin lazy. That was it. He scored everywhere. Juniors. AHL. Big time in the KHL. He simply didn't want to put the work in on the ice to get goals at the NHL level.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It was a disgrace Dawes never became a good NHL player. He was freakin lazy. That was it. He scored everywhere. Juniors. AHL. Big time in the KHL. He simply didn't want to put the work in on the ice to get goals at the NHL level.

Mats Zuccarello hits his prime at age 27: No one complains
Nigel Dawes hits his prime at age 27: He was lazy and didn't want to put the work in

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Sometimes for a forward the easy thing is putting up points at lower levels but when they go on to higher levels the not so exciting stuff like defensive play and play without the puck, hitting and penalty killing is what will make or break them as far as---can they go on to even higher levels? Look at St. Croix, Gropp and Tambellini for instance. It's not that their bad hockey players--it's more they couldn't adapt their games at the pro level enough to even get a sniff at the NHL. Look at a guy like Nigel Dawes who did stick around for a while but really needed to develop an overall game and didn't.

You know one guy who rounded out his game at the NHL level?---that's Chris Kreider and that was often a frustrating process to watch--including the not so great time he spent in the AHL--but Kreider has a bunch of things that Hughes doesn't have--like size and strength and he skates like a gazelle and has a great shot. It's kind of the same thing happening with Chytil. He's learning about play away with the puck on the go but he's also a massive talent.

Hughes is going to have to work on his skating and it's more than likely if he does make it--it will be because he's done a lot of work to round out his game. The BCHL is a good league but not a great league and it's not the best place for a forward to round his game out. Northeastern will be a lot better place for that. Let's see how his next year goes.

It's worth pointing out that the great shot is something Kreider developed to a large degree in the NHL. The goal he scored yesterday isn't something that he could do for his first few seasons.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's worth pointing out that the great shot is something Kreider developed to a large degree in the NHL. The goal he scored yesterday isn't something that he could do for his first few seasons.

Well coming from a similar situation--straight out of prep school Kreider was already something of a beast. Hughes is not. But to Kreider's shot--he was wiring shots at the WJC in his draft + 1 year and when he came out of college to play in the playoffs he scored on a few longer range bombs as well. His shot is better now for sure but it's always been pretty good.

Reactions: Trxjw and jas

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you don't care about approval and stuff like that, then maybe post updates on Hughes, how his game is progressing, what he's doing. Tell us that he just finished his campaign for Canada West with 1-2-3 in 6 games in the World Junior A Challenge or something. When you come in with "you guys are missing out on him and when he's good I'll claim to be the first to know he was a good prospect" and all that it just comes across like you're looking for recognition.

I give regular updates on his statistical progress and we talk about him plenty. If you're actually watching him, talk about it, we'd all love to hear it. But that post that you seem to copy verbatim about everyone missing the boat on him just isn't true and doesn't really give us any new info.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If you have something constructive, informative, and worthwhile to say about a prospect, post it.

If you don't, and just want to talk the talk and post only things lile "oh man you guys are missing out, remember me when he's good" then you might as well not post at all because that isn't useful to anyone in prospect analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->