Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Leslie used to be pretty great. She actually paid to watch Hartford games when it first became a thing and would go to Hartford to watch them live before that. She would also go to Traverse City in person regularly.

He rankings were always some of the more conservative on the site. Like the dude who wrote for Philly (and posted a lot, and obnoxiously) fellated every prospect in the system. Her rankings were harsh but reasonable.

Then she started to...go off the rails, a bit, with guys like Danny Kristo and Kyle Jean. After that her rankings and reports were just basically summaries of guys' seasons filled with a bunch of errors. People kind of tuned her stuff out and then HF--the site--died. Leslie tried posting new stuff to here but it never caught on, as it's now pretty easy for anyone to watch any or all of our prospects if they'd like.

Leslie is a nice lady but I think her rankings suck.

Also seems silly to include Lafreniere. The rest of the draft class, we're just going to pretend like it doesn't exist? I won't even bother nitpicking the actual rankings.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NCAA is strict. You can't even get a stipend in the major juniors and still be eligible. I don't know the precise answer to the question though- guys like Hagelin and Kjellberg only played "J20" before coming to the NCAA- I can't imagine that, for example, the Allsvenskan where he would likely be playing would let him return to the NCAA.

Apparently this kid will play U20 in Finland, and be eligible for Hockey East the following ...

Tomas Mazura at eliteprospects.com

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Hey does anyone know anything about Cam Morrisson? An Avs Prospect from Notre Dame who they didnt' sign by the deadline. 6'2" with power forward size. But I don't know anything about him really. Anyone with any insight here?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hey does anyone know anything about Cam Morrisson? An Avs Prospect from Notre Dame who they didnt' sign by the deadline. 6'2" with power forward size. But I don't know anything about him really. Anyone with any insight here?
He's a strong kid, decent skater. He can play 200 feet but the offense never really developed. His production was basically the same every year. Maybe he can eventually make it as a fourth line PK type.

The guy I really would like, mentioned it in another thread, is Ryan Shea. LHD that skates really well and moves the puck adeptly. He reminds me a bit of John Moore. I know that's not exciting, but to add someone like Moore for free would be great.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would move Lundkvist ahead of Kravtsov. I think Kravtsov still has terrific high-impact potential, but after his year, I have some questions about how he'll truly adapt to the NA game.

I have maintained throughout Miller's up-and-down year and Lundkvist's excellent year that Miller has immense upside, best in the system among the defenseman, and that his upside warrants a ranking ahead of Lundkvist. The two are close, but I really think Miller is one of those guys that will improve as the competition improves, and now that he can focus exclusively on hockey and not worry about academics, that he'll take off.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
She wants to have a Zoom call with me on Sunday to discuss my comments on her ranking haha. I think the Lundkvist vs Miller debate will take up most of our time

the Lundkvist/Miller doesn't bother me, the top 5 seems right overall, as does Barron and Robertson next

let us know why she ranks Ragnarsson higher than typical,
and Pajuniemi somewhat lower

and Kjellberg over such as Rykov, Richards, Khodorenko, Aaltonen, Edstrom

kinda feels like Ragnarsson and Lindbom given bumps for draft position

i wish she had gone to 25 or 30, to share her thinking re those guys she omitted,
given the current state where the pipeline stretches beyond 35
(even after the 5 cited above, could also comment re
Rueschhoff, Gropp/Ronning, Newell/Elmer, Hughes/Ciccolini,
Crawley who joined summer roster, Fontaine who never played below AHL.
Raddysh too old at 24? has only 3 pro seasons.
and bring up the rear, most likely Sjalin and then Leedahl

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
She wants to have a Zoom call with me on Sunday to discuss my comments on her ranking haha. I think the Lundkvist vs Miller debate will take up most of our time

As a former write/editor on here, I've always just kind of left things alone.

Kind of like the courtesy presidents have traditionally afforded those who come after them.

Reactions: Thirty One

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I have to ask Rangers fans about Lundkvist. I see highlights that look like he has an excellent shot but all the scouting reports I’ve read seem to indicate his shot is the weakest part of his game. Am I wrong with seeing it looks pretty damn good? Oh, and can you trade him to Boston?!?!? Haha

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I have to ask Rangers fans about Lundkvist. I see highlights that look like he has an excellent shot but all the scouting reports I’ve read seem to indicate his shot is the weakest part of his game. Am I wrong with seeing it looks pretty damn good? Oh, and can you trade him to Boston?!?!? Haha

Lundkvist has a very good shot. Very accurate from long range.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Lundkvist has a sneaky release that catches goalies off guard. It reminds me a bit of Duncan Keith's half slap-shot, where he doesn't wind up fully. Lundkvist's shot isn't the hardest, but it's more about precision rather than velocity. I would say his offense is probably one of his weaker assets but that's only because he is so good defensively and in transition.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundkvist has a sneaky release that catches goalies off guard. It reminds me a bit of Duncan Keith's half slap-shot, where he doesn't wind up fully. Lundkvist's shot isn't the hardest, but it's more about precision rather than velocity. I would say his offense is probably one of his weaker assets but that's only because he is so good defensively and in transition.

This is very accurate. I would almost compare Lundkvist’s shot to a baseball pitcher who can throw a ball with a lot of movement. It’s not so much the velocity, so much as it can be really hard to get a read on what’s coming.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
This is very accurate. I would almost compare Lundkvist’s shot to a baseball pitcher who can throw a ball with a lot of movement. It’s not so much the velocity, so much as it can be really hard to get a read on what’s coming.

I'm not expecting his new-found offense to translate at all, and despite that still consider him neck and neck with K'Andre.

I can definitely understand how people are so excited for him if they are of the opinion that he will consistently be a 30+ point guy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not expecting his new-found offense to translate at all, and despite that still consider him neck and neck with K'Andre.

I can definitely understand how people are so excited for him if they are of the opinion that he will consistently be a 30+ point guy.

I don't think it's really new found offense, it's just continued to develop.

Looking back at the 2018 scouting reports, none of this is completely out of left field. His offensive abilities were mentioned, they were just seen as not as developed or polished as someone like Boqvist.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect amazing offensive numbers from Lundkvist. But I think 40+ points isn't unrealistic.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't think it's really new found offense, it's just continued to develop.

Looking back at the 2018 scouting reports, none of this is completely out of left field. His offensive abilities were mentioned, they were just seen as not as developed or polished as someone like Boqvist.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect amazing offensive numbers from Lundkvist. But I think 40+ points isn't unrealistic.

40+ points from a dman is extremely good, it puts you top 25-30 in the league I think. Especially if you are also good defensively...

I'd take a dman that scores 45, is good defensively and can play in all situations over a purely offensive guy that scores 60. We have potentially one of those guys in fox. Sign me up for nils being #2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
40+ points from a dman is extremely good, it puts you top 25-30 in the league I think. Especially if you are also good defensively...

I'd take a dman that scores 45, is good defensively and can play in all situations over a purely offensive guy that scores 60. We have potentially one of those guys in fox. Sign me up for nils being #2

If all the pieces continue to come together, I don’t think that’s far off from his peak. And it could be a peak that he reaches sooner rather than later, and then maintains for a long time.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Would like to see a list of players with 160 games or less.

I feel like we have a lot of young talent on the roster that probably qualifies as being closer to prospects than established players at this point.
I agree. Your typical fans still see players like Kakko and Fox as "prospects", even though they no longer qualify to most writers. Basically, any young player to them is a prospect. Even myself, about 2-3 weeks ago I was reading an article or watching a youtube video about organization prospect rankings. Rangers were lower than I expected and there was no mention of Kakko, Lindgren, Fox. At first I was thinking the creator just missed them and then realized, "oh wait, they have probably 'graduated' from 'prospect' status."

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I agree. Your typical fan still see players like Kakko and Fox as "prospects", even though they no longer qualify to most writers. Basically, any young player to them is a prospect. Even myself, about 2-3 weeks ago I was reading an article or watching a youtube video about organization prospect rankings. Rangers were lower than I expected and there was no mention of Kakko, Lindgren, Fox. At first I was thinking the creator just missed them and then realized, "oh wait, they have probably 'graduated' from 'prospect' status."

That distinction is pretty meaningless though outside of putting together a ‘prospect ranking’ imo. When talking about the future of the team and those players potential to develop and grow nothing magically changes cause they played enough games to hit some madeup criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad