Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At the end of the day, this season went off the rails. But, under normal circumstances, this would've been his first season of North American pro hockey, as it was for many of his peers in the 2017 draft. We forget that sometimes.

Barron is his age. Khodorenko was born on the exact same day. Zuccarello at 21 just started his SHL career. Kreider at age 21 just finished his final year in college and then struggled in the NHl as well.

But Lias has been in and out of the line-up for 2 years so fans think he's a bust, at age 21. There's no guarantee he will make it in the NHL, but to label Lias a bust while being excited about Barron just seems weird.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Barron is his age. Khodorenko was born on the exact same day. Zuccarello at 21 just started his SHL career. Kreider at age 21 just finished his final year in college and then struggled in the NHl as well.

But Lias has been in and out of the line-up for 2 years so fans think he's a bust, at age 21. There's no guarantee he will make it in the NHL, but to label Lias a bust while being excited about Barron just seems weird.

Outside of this year, which is what it is, it's that damn draft position people really latched on to.

If the roles were reversed, and we took Chytil at 7 and Andersson at 21, what Lias has done in the SHL and AHL would probably have generated a decent amount of excitement on here. But there was always a hedge to the moments. We never quite got away from it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Lias isn't a bust. Yet.

However, I think that label is applied to him more so because of behavioral issues than anything. If he was always busting his ass and showing a generally positive attitude, I think he'd have a lot more leeway. Yeah, some people who have always disliked him would be calling him a bust, but otherwise I think people would still be hopeful with him.

It's like when you love someone and they cheat. A lot of times if it was just a physical thing, some stupid mistake, parties can work through it. If it's also an emotional affair, that's a lot more damaging and much harder to get over. That's kind of what it feels like for a lot of people with Lias--he didn't just make some stupid mistake out of frustration, but he really abandoned the team. And just like the affair, there are all sorts of things that go into why it all happened and what was justified and who did more wrong, but man, when you make people feel really betrayed, that's a powerful thing that's hard to get over. That's why, I think, people are so down on Lias. Because his performance alone doesn't justify it. It's an emotional response to his actions.

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
At the end of the day, this season went off the rails. But, under normal circumstances, this would've been his first season of North American pro hockey, as it was for many of his peers in the 2017 draft. We forget that sometimes.

He didn't start in Hartford at 20, and we're now looking at a guy coming into the next camp as a 24 year old.

He started as a teenager, did quite well for himself, will still only be 22.

I get where some people are coming from when watching Andersson at the NHL level. And the truth is, maybe he doesn't cut it.

But this isn't a kid who has struggled from Day One. He's looked good in the SHL, in the WJC, in the AHL, in pre-season games etc. That doesn't often happen with guys who don't look like they don't stand a chance.

Right now I see a kid who is struggling to get over the hump of converting previous success to the NHL level. And in many ways, that's the biggest and most important step of all. Some guys never take that last step.

But I also can't just dismiss his success in other leagues either. What he did in those leagues, at the age he was, is not very common. And as a result, it's not very common that someone like him would just completely flame out.

I, also, feel there is some underlying means for him to go back to Sweden and request the trade. Not sure what they are and we probably won't know for sure until he is traded or does, indeed, come back to NYR.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, and I mean, even if Andersson won’t play for us we can still capitalize on his value. No matter what, a kid his age to plays this well in the SHL is going to get attention and have value. Scouts, GMs, assistant GMs, they will see him play first hand multiple times and it’s the highest level outside the NHL and if you do well teams will want you. That has been a fact for many decades and it won’t change now.

So no matter what it’s great for us. Had he not played well, his value would have (kept) tanking very fast. I am sure it already has turned up a lot.

I have a really hard time seeing Andersson playing for us again, at least as long as DQ is here. DQ obviously just don’t see any upsides at all in Lias game and I do think Lias has a point there, playing in the NHL is tough as it is, if you have a coach who just don’t like you (as a player) it’s probably better to do something else.

Lias is getting quicker and quicker while growing, he is still really young. He could have a nice NHL career. At the same time — I have a hard time seeing him becoming a big star. It’s not like it’s the end of the world for us. Get some assets in return for him, some other player in the same situation elsewhere. Who knows what that could bring us.
A big part of any value he has to the Rangers even if he never plays for them, is if he actually wants to come back to NA and the NHL. If he thrives this season in Sweden, he may just want to stay.

Reactions: Ola and Tawnos

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Lias is crucial for this team going forward on the bottom six. You saw what Lemieux did in one playoff game. The forechecking of this team all season and in the playoffs has been an embarrassment. Our forwards are either soft, or they are slow, or they don't hit. While Andersson doesn't fly out there he's not soft, is always in the dirty areas and knows how to battle in the corners and forecheck. Something most of our forwards are lousy at. There are going to be some very tough decisions for JD and Gorton coming down the line. You are going to see some talented prospects or players moved out for a multitude of reasons. Either to manage the cap in the future or to get future picks and tougher and more playoff type role players for the bottom lines. You probably will see some trades where a more a talented prospect goes for a Lemieux type prospect with a pick coming back. The Rangers would be wise to keep adding an extra first rounder year after year as they will have a nightmare managing the cap with Lafrenierre, Panarin, Kakko, Shesterkin and Zibanejad all making huge money. They need to keep that pipeline coming. It's the only way they will stay deep with the cap problems they eventually will face with so many forwards making big money.

Reactions: cwede

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lias is crucial for this team going forward on the bottom six. You saw what Lemieux did in one playoff game. The forechecking of this team all season and in the playoffs has been an embarrassment. Our forwards are either soft, or they are slow, or they don't hit. While Andersson doesn't fly out there he's not soft, is always in the dirty areas and knows how to battle in the corners and forecheck. Something most of our forwards are lousy at. There are going to be some very tough decisions for JD and Gorton coming down the line. You are going to see some talented prospects or players moved out for a multitude of reasons. Either to manage the cap in the future or to get future picks and tougher and more playoff type role players for the bottom lines. You probably will see some trades where a more a talented prospect goes for a Lemieux type prospect with a pick coming back. The Rangers would be wise to keep adding an extra first rounder year after year as they will have a nightmare managing the cap with Lafrenierre, Panarin, Kakko, Shesterkin and Zibanejad all making huge money. They need to keep that pipeline coming. It's the only way they will stay deep with the cap problems they eventually will face with so many forwards making big money.
I know the Lias scouting report is ‘gritty, passionate, two-way, tough center’. But in all his Rangers time, I never saw that. Would love for him to become like that, of course. We need that kind of player.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I know the Lias scouting report is ‘gritty, passionate, two-way, tough center’. But in all his Rangers time, I never saw that. Would love for him to become like that, of course. We need that kind of player.
Agreed, if he could toughen up his mental game right now and be that annoying 3rd-4th liner and win some face offs (that's asking for a lot) then it turns out to be an important piece for us. Him and Lemieux were great together in the preseason.

Reactions: egelband

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
He was improving on draws a lot also. I agree we didn't see the real Lias and a lot of it was because he didn't like Quinn. Lias did a bad job at Traverse showing up and half-azzzing it. Quinn has been a two year old and held that against him. It was obvious when Lias outplayed Howden badly in the pre-season and started on the 4th line behind him. Quinn plays favorites. Much like AV played only puck moving defenseman which is why Gorton gave Graves away for nothing which was a colossal mistake. Lias was a little too immature to be here so early but Quinn did an awful job with him. I think Lias playing all year in Sweden will be good for him. I'd rather have Lias come back at 23 with perhaps a new coach than trade him away.

What ticks me off is when Lias asked out how pathetic our fan base was acting all insulted. Yet, you don't hear our fan base complain about us getting Fox, Hayes and Vesey who basically told their teams they didn't want to play for them. Trouba pretty much did that with the Jets as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I know you’re likely referring to another segment of fan base but my problem with Lias wasn’t the up and down season but how he CHOSE to deal with these situations.

Reactions: Greg02 and nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know you’re likely referring to another segment of fan base but my problem with Lias wasn’t the up and down season but how he CHOSE to deal with these situations.

Yes, and that's definitely an issue they need to work through. Will the be able to get past it? Don't know. But I fail to understand how any Rangers fan can root for any scenario other than him having a good season. It's beneficial for the Rangers, regardless of their plans in the near future.

Regarding the reason he left, nobody knows for sure what exactly happened, but it's definitely something both parties need to change. From what I heard, and the reason behind it, I sort of understand why he left I just don't agree with how he handled it. If that makes sense.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The name is familiar I'm sure I read it but don't follow her closely.

She used to be the HF Ranger writer, and did do prospect lists, which almost always fostered a lot of disagreement. Her efforts were always appreciated and she even covered Traverse a City. But, she was always guaranteed to throw in a doozy in her prospect rankings.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think calling out Laf behind Shesty is splitting hairs;
more interesting to me is Pajuniemi behind guys like Skinner and even Ragnarsson
and Aaltonen, omitted, behind Kjellberg.

But so what to it all.
Its opinion, not hard science,
and we know some guys wont meet their ceilings, making the less cookie cutter rankings seem brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille