Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Hopefully this won't be for the full season. Would love to see what he can do in Liiga!!

I know he was bouncing around the bottom six for KalPa in the preseason, but it would be quite disappointing if he had to spend substantial time in the Jr.-A Liiga.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know he was bouncing around the bottom six for KalPa in the preseason, but it would be quite disappointing if he had to spend substantial time in the Jr.-A Liiga.

A loan back to IPK or maybe Jokipojat or Hokki in Mestis is a realistic scenario if Aaltonen doesn't crack the team in Kuopio

Reactions: Joey Bones

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Good that you mentioned Strome. I was impressed with his ferocity as the season went on.

i always been a fan of his. I hope they extend him. he is only 26. can't have a team full of 22 year olds. Strome has some bite to his game. he would be a good fit for the next few years. he battles on the ice and play center and wing. has some size as well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
RPI released their roster. I know everyone has been checking daily to see what Kjellberg's number would be, just like me. It's 2. He's number 2. Brian Leetch incoming.

Still need UMass to release their roster so I can get Jones' number. :laugh:

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
one reason I really wanted the Rangers to trade up for Brady Tkachuk although I wanted both Kravtsov and Tkachuk in that 18 draft.
Many people wanted Brady Tkachuk. Including the 'Sens who drafted him and didn't want to trade the pick.
I bet Rangers fans would get angry about a skilled forward fighting, i wonder if those cried about Shanahan fighting Brashear when Shanny was sticking up for Jagr or Dubinsky getting a 3rd man in sticking up for Brian Boyle. i guess fans want another Carcillo Gaborik situation.. these are the same fans that rather sign the next Brashear Purinton type which are useless.
This is sheer nonsense. NO ONE would be upset if the Rangers were to get a top-6 forward who was no stranger to physical play, be it checks or dropping gloves.
. i would love if the Rangers can snag the next Tom Wilson.
Many people would. That said, I stand by my belief that long term, Pepe II will be the better player. More skilled, at least as effective away from the puck, just in a somewhat different way.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good that you mentioned Strome. I was impressed with his ferocity as the season went on.
Yeah, not sure why people are in a rush to get rid of him. He changed his game for Quinn. He responded and was finally in a situation that he feels comfortable in. I know his detractors will point to the high shooting percentage, but I think it is worth it to find out if he can take another step forward.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, not sure why people are in a rush to get rid of him. He changed his game for Quinn. He responded and was finally in a situation that he feels comfortable in. I know his detractors will point to the high shooting percentage, but I think it is worth it to find out if he can take another step forward.
I'm in no way a detractor, but the SH% is a legitimate issue to be concerned about.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm in no way a detractor, but the SH% is a legitimate issue to be concerned about.
Not sure it falls into the category of "legitimate concern" as much as one possible indicator for the better offensive performance. It is certainly possible that his production last year is an outlier. It could also be that he found new confidence at a place where he was comfortable at with a coach who has shown a proclivity to getting players to take their game to a different level. At least in year 1.

Strome was a high pick who had a lot of pressure put on him early (a lesson that many can look to). He however did net 50 points in his first full year, before falling off a cliff. Confidence hit, not the right organizational fit, whatever. Should we knowledge the SH%? Of course, how can you not? But sometimes players create their own luck. At a minimum, he has shown that he is a player who deseerves a longer look, IMO. And if he falls off a cliff, then no harm no foul. But if he steps up his game even further, then you could be looking at a player that can play center or wing in the middle two lines and ride shotgun to more talented players. And if the latter is the case, then he could be look to exploring an extension with a franchise that gave him a fresh start and provided for him a role that he is comfortable with. And if it is the former, like I said, no harm no foul and wish him well in his future endeavors.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It is, but what no one ever mentions is shots per game. His shooting percentage is almost guaranteed to go down, but that doesn't automatically mean he will score less.

Last year he had 80 shots in 63 games with the Rangers and scored 18 goals. In 2014-15, he had 179 shots in 81 games with the Islanders and scored 17 goals. That's almost 1 extra shot per game. If he spends significant time as the 2C, I can definitely see his shots per game being higher than it was last year, which will help offset a lower shooting percentage.

4 of his goals last year were on the PP. PP time can inflate his goal totals even if he isn't shooting at a high percentage 5 on 5.

We need to see how Quinn uses him this year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him have a career year.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It is, but what no one ever mentions is shots per game. His shooting percentage is almost guaranteed to go down, but that doesn't automatically mean he will score less.

Last year he had 80 shots in 63 games with the Rangers and scored 18 goals. In 2014-15, he had 179 shots in 81 games with the Islanders and scored 17 goals. That's almost 1 extra shot per game. If he spends significant time as the 2C, I can definitely see his shots per game being higher than it was last year, which will help offset a lower shooting percentage.

4 of his goals last year were on the PP. PP time can inflate his goal totals even if he isn't shooting at a high percentage 5 on 5.

We need to see how Quinn uses him this year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him have a career year.
Of course. These are all totally valid points. I just felt like last year, so much of the "pleasant surprise" vibe was boosted by his scoring, when really he was kind of lucky. Depending on his deployment this year, that could be completely canceled out, though, as you noted.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not sure it falls into the category of "legitimate concern" as much as one possible indicator for the better offensive performance. It is certainly possible that his production last year is an outlier. It could also be that he found new confidence at a place where he was comfortable at with a coach who has shown a proclivity to getting players to take their game to a different level. At least in year 1.
It's certainly possible that a guy comes to a new organization and discovers some new form. But he's a guy with a career SH% under 10 coming into the year who shot over 22% here. I thought his game was generally okay outside of the goal scoring, but nothing particularly special. And the 22% shooting isn't due a a different coach with a new philosophy, it's an aberration. You can't sustain that scoring rate.

I like Strome and have no problem trying him at 2C to start the year unless Andersson or Howden look like stars in camp. I'm not trying to slam him or his game. He's a perfectly adequate player for us, and hopefully he can work towards fulfilling the promise that made him such a high pick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Adam Edstrom getting a preseason game with Rogle today. Hoglander across from him.

Sjalin also playing, listed as the spare.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Watching a few minutes of Lulea game. Can someone explain to me why there's a player on the ice that doesn't have a number and is just wearing a blue shirt instead?

Also, why in the Finnish league, is there a player on each team that wears a gold helmet?

I've always been curious about this.

Finally, has anyone else noticed the polka song they play when Turku scores a goal? It's really fun. I think we should import it and play it every time Kakko scores at the garden...

Reactions: egelband

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Also, in watching Lundkvist -- it's very encouraging to note he always seems to make the smart play. Doesn't seem take a ton of chances. He plays a fast, very controlled game. Rarely out of position. Good at getting the puck up the ice. I'd be shocked if he didn't become an NHL regular. In some ways, he's the opposite of K'Andre. K'Andre, you always notice his size, his reach, his skating, his occasional rushes. But he's still figuring out where to be at all times. He takes lots of little chances that his reach and speed allow for, but it means he's often slightly out of position. Whereas Lundkvist, you won't notice him unless you're paying attention, but he's just very very steady and smart. I really could see these two becoming a top pair where Lundkvist's steady game could really be a good match with Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad