Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, folks, I feel like Rykov is the forgotten man, but I read some good things about him from one of our posters (kovazub?). Is there reason to be excited about him? He's a KHL regular and plays a big role, right?

Rykov had a great season in Sochi after being used as a 7th D-man for years in St Petersburg. The similarities with Reunanen's career are obvious. Tarmo went through the same thing in Finland.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is Morgan Barron our best center prospect? And if so does that concern anyone else? I feel like he's a guy if he puts it all together would be a second liner.

Reactions: Cag29

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
full
Ciccolini, Eric
RWRFr.01/14/20145'11"160 Michigan Wolverines/Big TenDrafted R7 #205 2019
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We're drafting them young I see. ;)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is Morgan Barron our best center prospect? And if so does that concern anyone else? I feel like he's a guy if he puts it all together would be a second liner.

To be fair, Barron was drafted the same year as Chytil and Andersson, both of whom are centers. If either of those guys were playing in college hockey, they’d be putting up MAJOR numbers, probably exceeding Barron. That’s not to say that Barron isn’t a good prospect, he is, just that it’s important to keep perspective when comparing our center depth to others or comparing a guy like Barron to other center prospects.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He's been playing a lot of wing in college, last season they had him taking face-offs though, so I'm not exactly sure what I'd classify his position as right now.
And it doesn't concern me because there's 3 ~20 year old centers on the NHL roster right now, and they just picked a good one in Henriksson

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I keep forgetting about Lias and Chytil. But I'm not sure Chytil will be playing much center and probably unfairly I'm worried about Lias's upside. Is Barron a playmaking center? We really like him but is he a good prospect or a good prospect for where he was drafted?

Reactions: egelband

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So, folks, I feel like Rykov is the forgotten man, but I read some good things about him from one of our posters (kovazub?). Is there reason to be excited about him? He's a KHL regular and plays a big role, right?

The excitement for him definitely seems to be justified!

I heard that he eats a member of the Bereglazov family for breakfast every morning.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I keep forgetting about Lias and Chytil. But I'm not sure Chytil will be playing much center and probably unfairly I'm worried about Lias's upside. Is Barron a playmaking center? We really like him but is he a good prospect or a good prospect for where he was drafted?

I'm still not sure about center, though the Rangers seemed to be playing him there during camp. As for the level of prospect he is, I think he's a good prospect. I personally think he has a really high floor and called him a better skating Boyle, because Boyle is a guy with enough skill to play up on the 3rd line and be useful and occasionally good but best suited to PK and play on the 4th line. Barron is already a better skater than Boyle ever was and playing at Cornell solid defensive play is a prerequisite to play time so that's done. It comes down to whether you think his skill level is that high. I think it is and I think there's also a chance for more.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Interesting that Leslie likes Aaltonen and Rykov. Surprised that she was so bearish on Fox.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Leslie does know that Barron has two more years potentially right?

i think she just pushed this one public to fast, and of course sports blogs don't have 'fact checkers' - until us readers see it 8^)

she also wrote there that no recent UDFA signing had become an NHL regular,
and even if you didn't appreciate Pionk, he did play over 70 games this past season, very often as top 4 D

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I fully appreciate the effort Leslie has always put in, but, I have had my disagreements with her when it comes to talent assessment, most notably her take on Grachev vs. Kreider.

And Brett Ritchie vs Hayes.

One of them was non tendered, the other just signed for 7 and a hook a year.

But we all have our misses.

Reactions: jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I fully appreciate the effort Leslie has always put in, but, I have had my disagreements with her when it comes to talent assessment, most notably her take on Grachev vs. Kreider.
We all have our moments. I remember thinking that Knuble was absolutely useless.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
These types of camps and not very good for evaluating. Some guys are just wiped out from the year they had others have not been on the ice for a month or so. Some are 18 others are 22. Now they get thrown together in high level pick up games. I think watching the drills in these camps is a better gauge but still not like watching them in season. I think it is team building(and PR) more than anything. Same with TC tournament. Both are useful for teaching, letting the players know what they need to do to work on the issues they have.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
These types of camps and not very good for evaluating. Some guys are just wiped out from the year they had others have not been on the ice for a month or so. Some are 18 others are 22. Now they get thrown together in high level pick up games. I think watching the drills in these camps is a better gauge but still not like watching them in season. I think it is team building(and PR) more than anything. Same with TC tournament. Both are useful for teaching, letting the players know what they need to do to work on the issues they have.

For sure, these aren't real competitive camps or anything, it's getting to know the organization and doing a bit of testing, playing some hockey but we're not talking top level. Nothing that happens in these camps should get people too excited or too down on a guy (unless it's something like this guy obviously can't skate at all)

e: also lol at her "questioning the hype" around Kakko after he didn't stand out on one day of development camp

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnaby

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
For sure, these aren't real competitive camps or anything, it's getting to know the organization and doing a bit of testing, playing some hockey but we're not talking top level. Nothing that happens in these camps should get people too excited or too down on a guy (unless it's something like this guy obviously can't skate at all)

e: also lol at her "questioning the hype" around Kakko after he didn't stand out on one day of development camp
I like her,Steve Greeknameplous(forgot his name) and AK's passion for the game and team but I have not found either very insightful. I will read and enjoy what they do but none work for a team of any kind for a reason(same with me).
He said he hadn't been on the ice in about a month, that is a bigger deal then it sounds. Skating is not walking, completely different muscles and movements. If a running back in football or a soccer player said they hadn't walked in a month people would understand and take that into consideration. It is not just the skating but everything in hockey is particular to hockey, that first week back will be off. I am sure he wasn't they only player going through that. You also have players that went un-drafted that are trying to catch someones eye, so they will be trying much harder than say the #2 overall pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad