Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I was just thinking, if the Rangers left Lias in Hartford all season, he'd probably have 20min/game & 60 pts down there and we'd all be super hyped for him. Instead, he got 10:43/game and while I still have hopes for him to develop, I gotta believe that low ice time was a real detriment to his development. Even if Hartford was a steaming pile of trash, Lias is a competitor and I think he would have been fired up down there to succeed and pull that team through. He doesn't get that opportunity with 10:43 per game.

Which is why I find it weird when people do the lineups and he's on the 4th line. I'd have him on 2nd or 3rd line wing. Assuming Kreider is still here day 1, Kreider/Ziba/Buch on the top line. I'd start with Krava and Kakko on 2nd and 3rd lines. A line of Howden and Lias needs a shooter. That's where IMO having Kakko or Krava works.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was just thinking, if the Rangers left Lias in Hartford all season, he'd probably have 20min/game & 60 pts down there and we'd all be super hyped for him. Instead, he got 10:43/game and while I still have hopes for him to develop, I gotta believe that low ice time was a real detriment to his development. Even if Hartford was a steaming pile of trash, Lias is a competitor and I think he would have been fired up down there to succeed and pull that team through. He doesn't get that opportunity with 10:43 per game.

Lias has a higher point contribution than Necas, Tolvanen and Kostin. Yet Lias is a bust and those 3 are considered blue chip prospects by Ranger fans

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Lias has a higher point contribution than Necas, Tolvanen and Kostin. Yet Lias is a bust and those 3 are considered blue chip prospects by Ranger fans

Even better look at this list of draftees that year . Not like many players have taken off yet .

2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Nanaki

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Even better look at this list of draftees that year . Not like many players have taken off yet .

2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

I always try to stay on point as much as I can, focusing on numbers since those can't be refuted or labeled as "bias". Back in February, after Lias was called up again, I decided to do a contribution percentage comparison.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A little sad there are no new prospects in the K after S,K,R came over. Doro would’ve been perfect.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
....A line of Howden and Lias needs a shooter. That's where IMO having Kakko or Krava works.

I was thinking the same. Kakko’s style is a bit more north-south so Lias-Howden-Kakko line works for me to start the season. If Kreider is gone then Names-Zibanejad-Kravtsov first and Strome-Chytil-Buch second.

Edit: Thing is - centering 4th line might not be a bad situation for Lias since there’s no dominant top or top6 lines on the Rangers so ice is divided more evenly plus PP time. Playing with Lemieux or Fast, even Vesey against other teams’ 4th lines too.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A little sad there are no new prospects in the K after S,K,R came over. Doro would’ve been perfect.

Yeah. I guess this means I won't make the trip to Riga this season. Instead, I will focus on Sweden and Finland. If Reunanen goes back, I can follow in Finland while Sweden has Lundkvist, Ragnarsson, Själin, Lindbom, Edström and Henriksson.

Angelholm, Leksand and Mora will be new locations for me to visit.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
There was that Carpiniello article where he ranked our prospects and Lias ranked pretty high. The view from executives of other teams was that Lias has a good chance to become a top 6 forward even if it may take some time. I think it was Mark Scheifele who they compared him to. Rangers fans just need to give him time to marinate and who knows, maybe he surprises us in a few years.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We talked about this a painful amount of times last year across HF. Just getting lower ice time in the NHL does not mean it hurts development. I do not know why anyone thinks that. The more coachable a player is and the more mentally tough they are, the more likely that the increased competition and better practicing will help development in the long term.

At times, depending on who was having this conversation early in the season I swear people just think this is like a video game where "Stats = development based on EA's formula" and forget that these guys do most of their development off ice when they review film, practice, workout, etc, etc. Then you add in familiarizing yourself with the speed of the game, the strategies employed by the best in the world, learning to counter that and beat that...

I just hate that people ASSUME that a players development is hurt by low NHL ice time against the best in the world with the best coaching and best teammates.

If the goal is to get fans hyped then the staff is stupid. The goal is to assess each individual, decide what environment is best for their development and put them all in the optimal position to reach that development. If the fans are unable to understand that a rookie playing in the NHL just 1 year after being drafted is a fantastic, hype worthy thing than **** em

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Pre prospects camp I figured Kravtsov would start the season in Hartford and join the Rangers around mid season. But thinking it through, he just needs to be better than Kakko (who’s virtually guaranteed a roster spot due to his 2OA status) leading to and during the main camp to make the Rangers team right away too.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I just see him as a 21.year old so there is plenty of time for him to improve. Is more ice time translating into development a fallacy? I'm not saying ONLY more ice time. Quality ice time in the NHL > AHL but there is something to be said for honing certain teachings with reps, continual reinforcement, and building confidence against lower skilled players and increasing difficulty over time. Also curious about Load quality starts...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Pre prospects camp I figured Kravtsov would start the season in Hartford and join the Rangers around mid season. But thinking it through, he just needs to be better than Kakko (who’s virtually guaranteed a roster spot due to his 2OA status) leading to and during the main camp to make the Rangers team right away too.

I think both have a great shot to start in ny and I expect them to both start in ny, just a question of which lines...but I also think that we shouldn't make that big of a deal of what they did at prospect camp. against mostly guys that aren't nhl ready guys like kratsov, kakko and fox are supposed to dominate. if they didn't it would be more noteworthy than that they did...

even traverse city, they are supposed to dominate...you aren't going to get a true read on how ready they are until main camp and preseason games when they are facing grown men and NHLers. (and i know kakko faced nhlers at the worlds but you get my point)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think both have a great shot to start in ny and I expect them to both start in ny, just a question of which lines...but I also think that we shouldn't make that big of a deal of what they did at prospect camp. against mostly guys that aren't nhl ready guys like kratsov, kakko and fox are supposed to dominate. if they didn't it would be more noteworthy than that they did...

even traverse city, they are supposed to dominate...you aren't going to get a true read on how ready they are until main camp and preseason games when they are facing grown men and NHLers. (and i know kakko faced nhlers at the worlds but you get my point)

Wasn’t really my point about K & K impressing in the prospect camp and making predictions off of that. The point was that Kakko is 90+% guaranteed to be on the roster on Day 1 and if Kravtsov is better than just him, he’d be there too.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I just see him as a 21.year old so there is plenty of time for him to improve. Is more ice time translating into development a fallacy? I'm not saying ONLY more ice time.

Of course it's not a fallacy. The issue isnt with thinking that more ahl ice time COULD be better than lower nhl ice time. The issue is how many people ASSUME it's better for allindividuals, regardless of context. Then they use that assumption to fuel overreactionary posts

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

Strong post. I hope Lias comes out swinging this year. I would love to walk it back on my critique. Needless to say, it is a crucial summer for him, Any insight on what his offseason is? Actions speak louder than words, but I would like to hear from a modest Lias - one that recognizes Year 3 needs to be much, much better.

Reactions: Cag29 and egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Strong post. I hope Lias comes out swinging this year. I would love to walk it back on my critique. Needless to say, it is a crucial summer for him, Any insight on what his offseason is? Actions speak louder than words, but I would like to hear from a modest Lias - one that recognizes Year 3 needs to be much, much better.

He needs to be better but let’s not forget that the large majority of 50 point players weren’t even playing in the NHL until year 3

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
He needs to be better but let’s not forget that the large majority of 50 point players weren’t even playing in the NHL until year 3

Sure thing. I’m going beyond scoring. I’m looking for a smarter player - better decision making, better positioning, better skater, no more asinine penalties. Hell, he could be a very effective player at 40 points. I’m not asking for him to light up the scoring sheet, I want him to play smart hockey.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, folks, I feel like Rykov is the forgotten man, but I read some good things about him from one of our posters (kovazub?). Is there reason to be excited about him? He's a KHL regular and plays a big role, right?

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So, folks, I feel like Rykov is the forgotten man, but I read some good things about him from one of our posters (kovazub?). Is there reason to be excited about him? He's a KHL regular and plays a big role, right?

there is alot of reason to be excited about him...he should battle with hajek for a spot in camp. guy is huge and can skate. but there are so many guys to get excited about right now there isn't enough time in the day to give everyone their proper due

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad