Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing about that Hughes goal for me is that the van Reimsdyk’s are from my town, I know a bunch of people who play pick up games with them when they’re around in the summer, I had no idea that there was more than 2 brothers
Sucks when your two brothers are legit NHL players who will make millions, and you're a mediocre NCAA player. It's like poor Jared Staal, who has three brothers who will all eclipse 1000 NHL games and were/are all considered stars to varying degrees. And you're an ECHL-caliber guy.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Sucks when your two brothers are legit NHL players who will make millions, and you're a mediocre NCAA player. It's like poor Jared Staal, who has three brothers who will all eclipse 1000 NHL games and were/are all considered stars to varying degrees. And you're an ECHL-caliber guy.
At least they’ll be front office guys somewhere at some point

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Imagine being Marc Staal and you have 2 brothers that are legit nhl players with a stanley cup and you're only in the NHL because of your overpaid contract.

Reactions: Rongomania

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m gonna need to get my calculator to be certain, but I think you may be just a tad off in your arithmetic there...

He has not been good since 2014. You recall him good the last 5 years because I don't. I'm saying 10 years ago he was considered good. But after 2014 season, he stunk under AV go figure. Under Torts he was fine even with his injuries

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Staal was never that good. He just played in an era where people weren't as informed about what was/wasn't good. Same for Girardi. He certainly was better than he is now though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Look, Staal after partially losing his sight and having a brain injury is not a player that anyone will gleefully remember.

But to say Staal wasn't a human eraser at one point in time, who went up against the best offensive talent in the NHL and did a damn good job of shutting them down, is just selective memory.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Look, Staal after partially losing his sight and having a brain injury is not a player that anyone will gleefully remember.

But to say Staal wasn't a human eraser at one point in time, who went up against the best offensive talent in the NHL and did a damn good job of shutting them down, is just selective memory.

And also had a fantastic transition game and a blossoming offensive game.

It’s astonishing how people have chosen to forget these things.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Staal was never that good. He just played in an era where people weren't as informed about what was/wasn't good. Same for Girardi. He certainly was better than he is now though.
Huh?

Staal was a legit top pair shutdown defesnseman in his primes years. Ovechkin would cringe when he had to play against him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Huh?

Staal was a legit top pair shutdown defesnseman in his primes years. Ovechkin would cringe when he had to play against him.

Ovechkin struggled against him. Crosby destroyed against him. In that same time frame Ovechkin also got 20 shots and 38 attempts in 64 mins on him in the playoffs...massive numbers...but didn't score largely due to Lundqvist in net. Why is one more relevant than the other? I'm sure in a small sample size (100 mins or so that Staal played vs him from 2007-2009) I can find other marginal players than Ovechkin struggled against too. For example Radek Martinek and Nic Havelid. He has an inflated reputation due to being a homegrown first rounder, playing in front of Henrik Lundqvist, and several severe injuries.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And also had a fantastic transition game and a blossoming offensive game.

It’s astonishing how people have chosen to forget these things.

Probably the biggest question with a young/prime Staal was how much of an offensive game he'd develop. That was a central point of uncertainty when debating whether he might become a legit #1 defenseman.

At one time he was right on that cusp of being a 10 goal/30-35 point defenseman. But then the injuries just annihilated him.

When all is said and done, he could arguably finish as high as fourth on the all-times games played list for the Rangers. Probably the saddest part of Staal's legacy with the Rangers is that the mediocre or bad years will outnumber the good or really good years.

But the man literally gave his body to this team and will be paying for his sacrifice until the day he leaves this world.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Probably the biggest question with a young/prime Staal was how much of an offensive game he'd develop. That was a central point of uncertainty when debating whether he might become a legit #1 defenseman.

At one time he was right on that cusp of being a 10 goal/30-35 point defenseman. But then the injuries just annihilated him.

When all is said and done, he could arguably finish as high as fourth on the all-times games played list for the Rangers. Probably the saddest part of Staal's legacy with the Rangers is that the mediocre or bad years will outnumber the good or really good years.

But the man literally gave his body to this team and will be paying for his sacrifice until the day he leaves this world.

I have no doubt in my mind he would have one day eclipsed 40-45 points had he not gotten the concussion and eye injury. He was getting essentially no power play time either at that point.

He scored a couple of beautiful goals on the rush towards the end of the good years. Only thing he really didn’t have was a good shot.

We had that controversial opinions thread awhile back and mine was that prime Staal was the best defenseman the Rangers have had since 05-06.

Whether or not people agree with that, I don’t think there’s really a debate that he and Mac were 1 and 2.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have no doubt in my mind he would have one day eclipsed 40-45 points had he not gotten the concussion and eye injury. He was getting essentially no power play time either at that point.

He scored a couple of beautiful goals on the rush towards the end of the good years. Only thing he really didn’t have was a good shot.

We had that controversial opinions thread awhile back and mine was that prime Staal was the best defenseman the Rangers have had since 05-06.

Whether or not people agree with that, I don’t think there’s really a debate that he and Mac were 1 and 2.

It's sad that we never truly got to see a healthy, prime Staal.

One can debate how he would've adjusted to the increased speed of the NHL over the last decade, but it all becomes hypothetical because he never reached his peak years intact. So we'll never know.

But it was sad to see how much talent our young defense had at one time; only to see major injuries change several trajectories.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

eh as I recall people went back and used what stats they could to get a clearer picture of his on ice impacts and there's a very clear drop after he had the concussions.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
eh as I recall people went back and used what stats they could to get a clearer picture of his on ice impacts and there's a very clear drop after he had the concussions.

Oh there is a drop for sure. They weren't all that great to begin with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad