Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #8

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I think Zac Jones is getting slept on here and personally I have him in the Miller-Kravtsov-Lundkvist tier not the Schneider-Robertson-Barron-Gauthier tier. He:

- QB'ed the US's #1 PP unit at the WJC
- Was the highest scoring rookie defensemen in the NCAA
- Scored more points than Makar did as a rookie on the same team

He clearly has puck moving ability and offensive upside that Robertson and Schneider don't and his defensive and puck possession metrics were actually incredibly good as an NCAA Freshman too. So Schneider and Robertson probably don't even have an advantage on him defensively either.

On top of all that, he was playing in whatever the USPHL is just 2 seasons ago and has been improving on a ridiculous trajectory.

He is smaller, but he's not that far behind where Fox was at the same age despite a much less auspicious background, and we all know how Fox turned out.

Edit: Add Berard. He was the one of the highest scoring players on the USNTDP while barely being eligible for the draft. His production was similar to Bordelau, who is 9 months older than him and almost went in the 1st, and Beniers, who is only 2 months younger than him and is projected as a top 10 pick next year. He's also an aggressive forechecker who plays a complete game. If Berard weren't 5'9", he would have been a borderline first rounder. Maybe the size will hold him back, but at this point in the poll, I think it's worth the risk.

Last edited:

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I think Zac Jones is getting slept on here and personally I have him in the Miller-Kravtsov-Lundkvist tier not the Schneider-Robertson-Barron-Gauthier tier. He:

He clearly has puck moving ability and offensive upside that Robertson and Schneider don't and his defensive and puck possession metrics were actually incredibly good as an NCAA Freshman too. So Schneider and Robertson probably don't even have an advantage on him defensively either.

On top of all that, he was playing in whatever the USPHL is just 2 seasons ago and has been improving on a ridiculous trajectory.

He is smaller, but he's not that far behind where Fox was at the same age despite a much less auspicious background, and we all know how Fox turned out.

Edit: Add Berard. He was the one of the highest scoring players on the USNTDP while barely being eligible for the draft. His production was similar to Bordelau, who is 9 months older than him and almost went in the 1st, and Beniers, who is only 2 months younger than him and is projected as a top 10 pick next year. He's also an aggressive forechecker who plays a complete game. If Berard weren't 5'9", he would have been a borderline first rounder. Maybe the size will hold him back, but at this point in the poll, I think it's worth the risk.
If Jones isn't in that tier yet he's definitely close.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Goat. I think he's going to turn some heads this year. Was one of the better players on the roster during the play-in and I think there will be a bigger opportunity for him to slide up on the right.

Add Hajek.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Went with Cuylie I think worst case can be a 3/4th line player who wears down the opponent best case you have a top notch power forward. Add Lindbom everyone including me hated the pick at the time but I believe with some patience he is going to be a really good nhl goalie.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Gauthier is here so maybe i should have selected him. Otherwise, i’m going Barron.

no clue what Hajek has shown.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

agreed. Jones can be more valuable than what Barron or Gauthier will likely be (and i like those guys, too).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Love reading your posts with thought process. While I personally went with Gauthier as he was closer experience-wise among eligible forwards with about the same ceiling, I could've easily went with ZJ based on higher ceiling (2nd pair D > middle F). Since he's further away I chose Gauthier.

P.S. Also agree that Berard (and Tarnstrom) could be the dark horses of 2020 draft for us due to their younger age.

Reactions: pblawr

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I dunno that I quite feel like Jones is in the Miller/Lundkvist tier, but I certainly have him over guys like Barron and Gauthier.

I feel like our board overvalues prospects who are close just because they can see/envision them on the active roster more easily.

I mean, even if Barron pans out I can't see him being more than a third liner. Most likely a lower end third liner, higher end fourth liner.

Jones has legit top 4 potential.

Reactions: Cag29 and pblawr

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Something tells me if Jones were a picked in the top 2 rounds he'd be thought of more highly. Was he a third or fourth rounder?

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I like Barron the best of all of them. I think he's already got a fundamentally sound 200' game which puts him over Gauthier for me. Add Hajek.

To comment on Cuylle--some think he could turn into a Tom Wilson kind of player and Cuylle when asked who he tries to model his game after says Jamie Benn.
What position are you evaluating Barron at c or wing?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The challenge with our prospect pool is that you can make a compelling case for or against a few of the guys here.

Barron is the most fundamentally sound, but may not have the ceiling of other options.

Gauthier has the ceiling, but might be more of a risk.

Jones is near the top of our list of defense for pure skill, but doesn't necessarily have the overall attributes of other options.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The challenge with our prospect pool is that you can make a compelling case for or against a few of the guys here.

Barron is the most fundamentally sound, but may not have the ceiling of other options.

Gauthier has the ceiling, but might be more of a risk.

Jones is near the top of our list of defense for pure skill, but doesn't necessarily have the overall attributes of other options.

I'm just happy that we're still in the section of the prospect pool where "he sucks" is not a part of the analysis.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm just happy that we're still in the section of the prospect pool where "he sucks" is not a part of the analysis.
Yup. I'm voting to add Hajek now which means the earliest he can go is 14. He's a 22-year-old defender, who, while he has struggled recently, could very easily end up starting for us on opening night and playing significant minutes. Pretty cool.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yup. I'm voting to add Hajek now which means the earliest he can go is 14. He's a 22-year-old defender, who, while he has struggled recently, could very easily end up starting for us on opening night and playing significant minutes. Pretty cool.

He sucks (lol)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

This doesn't even take into accout young talents like Fox, Kakko or Chytil.

And we're probably only looking at as few as 2, and likely no more than 4 names coming off this list after next season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This doesn't even take into accout young talents like Fox, Kakko or Chytil.

And we're probably only looking at as few as 2, and likely no more than 4 names coming off this list after next season.

Long gone the Day(s) when the top of our prospect pool (more like a puddle) was featured by prospects with ECLH level ceiling (maybe AHL)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Long gone the Day(s) when the top of our prospect pool (more like a puddle) was featured by prospects with ECLH level ceiling (maybe AHL)

Top end talent and depth is the real thing we've added. Even in 2016/17 we still had some interesting names at the top. The challenge was there was a steep drop after the first 5 or so, and you didn't have that guy who looked like an elite talent.

For example, here's our top 10 from February 2017 - before the letter, before the draft, before the TDL moves, etc.:

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Ryan Graves
6. G Adam Huska
7. D Sean Day
8. D Sergey Zborovskiy
9. C/LW Boo Nieves
10. G Tyler Wall

You've still got 5 NHL players on that list, and a promising kid who just now turned pro. But nothing like the higher end upside and potential we have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad