Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #8

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Top end talent and depth is the real thing we've added. Even in 2016/17 we still had some interesting names at the top. The challenge was there was a steep drop after the first 5 or so, and you didn't have that guy who looked like an elite talent.

For example, here's our top 10 from February 2017 - before the letter, before the draft, before the TDL moves, etc.:

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Ryan Graves
6. G Adam Huska
7. D Sean Day
8. D Sergey Zborovskiy
9. C/LW Boo Nieves
10. G Tyler Wall

You've still got 5 NHL players on that list, and a promising kid who just now turned pro. But nothing like the higher end upside and potential we have now.

That's with hindsight. Adjusting for the timeline Buch at the top would be entering the discussion around where we are now in 6-8 range. Skjei / Graves definitely were not higher than Schneider / Robertson. And we didn't have Kakko, Chytil, Fox, ADA as recent graduates.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's with hindsight. Adjusting for the timeline Buch at the top would be entering the discussion around where we are now in 6-8 range. Skjei / Graves definitely were not higher than Schneider / Robertson. And we didn't have Kakko, Chytil, Fox, ADA as recent graduates.

I agree with that. My point was merely that even at our worst, we weren't quite as bad we may've thought and still had some intriguing talent.

But to your point, what was our top 5 in 2017 is now our 6-10 talent in 2020. Likewise some of our 6-10 talent from from three years ago might struggle to get into our top 15 today.

Reactions: Kendo and kovazub94

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
random thought...is there a way to force people to vote before they can see other people's votes or read the comments?

the threads bring out alot of great discussions about the prospects but I wonder how much people campaigning for their guy influences the vote...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
random thought...is there a way to force people to vote before they can see other people's votes or read the comments?

the threads bring out alot of great discussions about the prospects but I wonder how much people campaigning for their guy influences the vote...

I think we talked about it a year ago.

Personally I'd rather have someone make an "educated" vote with some basis to it (like reading up what other posters wrote in the same thread) rather than a completely random one.

Reactions: Kendo

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think we talked about it a year ago.

Personally I'd rather have someone make an "educated" vote with some basis to it (like reading up what other posters wrote in the same thread) rather than a completely random one.

thats fair but it also becomes group think....I know that I often look to see who certain posters picked for validation of my own thought and often wonder how much people are influenced by it cause i'm often tempted to shuffle my rankings lol.

and I guess there is also a difference between being influenced by comments that express the pros and cons of a certain prospect vs picking the same guy that @Edge suggested cause he's smart lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
thats fair but it also becomes group think....I know that I often look to see who certain posters picked for validation of my own thought and often wonder how much people are influenced by it cause i'm often tempted to shuffle my rankings lol.

and I guess there is also a difference between being influenced by comments that express the pros and cons of a certain prospect vs picking the same guy that @Edge suggested cause he's smart lol

I love it when there’s good, reasonable debates about players and prospects.

Now projecting Boo Nieves as a top six forward is pushing it. But I can see some good points about the prospects here.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I only thought of it cause I have my own rankings saved to compared to the final list and as I see comments I find myself juggling my rankings 'within tiers' back and forth 10 times so I figure I'm not the only one swayed lol

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Went with Barron, because I believe he has a clear path to be a useful bottom-6er in the NHL. But, it was close between him, Gauthier, and Jones.

I see Goat is probably going to win this one. Can’t fault anyone for voting for him.

Add Hajek. Kid is still young and could carve out a bottom pair job if he can stop getting freight-trained regularly.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I gotta go with Gauthier just because he’s made the NHL already. He needs that next step still.

The fact we have him as a potential 8th-best prospect is crazy.

We’re getting to a point where it gets a bit muddier—we have younger prospects who have potential to be good players or older prospects who need another step.

Add Hajek...but Khodorenko and Pajuniemi are on my radar here, too.

Reactions: Kendo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I only thought of it cause I have my own rankings saved to compared to the final list and as I see comments I find myself juggling my rankings 'within tiers' back and forth 10 times so I figure I'm not the only one swayed lol

Yup, and I prefer to first hear good arguments that could influence my vote.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Cuylle because I'd trade any of the guys on this list before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad