Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #13 Prospect

#13 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Went with Meskanen, but not with any real conviction. Can see arguments for all the players on the list. Very close.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I voted Lettieri after debating with myself between him and Virta, but I don’t see how Barron should be ranked significantly higher than a player like Gettinger. They’re both big bodies with decent stats, and they share a birth-year.

I don't think they will end up being ranked significantly higher but Barron's potential is certainly higher than Gettinger's in my opinion. Gettinger was on a stacked team, so yeah he put up points, but with the talent on that team it would have been hard not to. Frost, Katchouk, Raddysh (after the trade) all outperformed him by a good margin and he had 2 more first rounders from this draft, Hayton and Sandin to work with. This in a league, and on a team, where he is one of the oldest players.

Barron's teammates were a lot less dynamic(still a good team though) and everyone who outscored him on the team is at least 3 years older. With a few graduations, Barron should get a bigger role, and I think this will be a big year in determining how legit of a prospect he is. I did like what I saw in the development camp scrimmage that I watched.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Well I'm sorry that I don't have a degree in Hockeyology and that I can't watch every Vancouver Giants or Tps game there is but based off what I have seen these two players are the best avaliable and I chose Virta.
Btw if your curious of what I've seen I've watched a few games of each, seen highlights of them on places like Youtube or Twitter, and look at their stats. Again I'm sorry im not Nickolai Bobrov going out to scout all these players, I just wanted to give my opinion on these hockey players on a ******* hockey fourm.

That's all fine. They MODded the first sentence where I said, no, sadly I don't have any good stuff0. but I also said, while I can see why you'd be offended, that wasn't my goal. I wasn't judging you personally, but using your post as an example, which I shouldn't have.

I do the same myself lol... I just wonder sometimes how we rank player A above player B.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think they will end up being ranked significantly higher but Barron's potential is certainly higher than Gettinger's in my opinion. Gettinger was on a stacked team, so yeah he put up points, but with the talent on that team it would have been hard not to. Frost, Katchouk, Raddysh (after the trade) all outperformed him by a good margin and he had 2 more first rounders from this draft, Hayton and Sandin to work with. This in a league, and on a team, where he is one of the oldest players.

Barron's teammates were a lot less dynamic(still a good team though) and everyone who outscored him on the team is at least 3 years older. With a few graduations, Barron should get a bigger role, and I think this will be a big year in determining how legit of a prospect he is. I did like what I saw in the development camp scrimmage that I watched.
Gettinger was on a loaded team, yes, but he was still a key player and contributor regardless of his linemates. If he got a majority of his time with Hayton, it's because he deserved it as he had improved his game every single season. And to your point about him being one of the oldest players, that's just not even remotely true. Just a quick count I saw seven players on his own team that were older than him; extrapolate that across the league and then factor in all the over-age players around, etc. It was his fourth year, but he was not old by any stretch.

Now, what's his upside? Probably as a third line, 15-20 goal guy who is big, strong, physical, and defensively responsible. Maybe the potential for a letter as well. I really like Morgan Barron, who sounds intriguing and looked to possess a good amount of skill the handful of times there was a televised/streamed Cornell game. But he's still raw, and we don't really know what his realistic upside is at this point (and remember, he's only 8 months younger than Gettinger). I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer Baron over Gettinger, just don't sleep on Gettinger. He's a nice little prospect that could become one of those fan-favorite players in a few years.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Gettinger was on a loaded team, yes, but he was still a key player and contributor regardless of his linemates. If he got a majority of his time with Hayton, it's because he deserved it as he had improved his game every single season. And to your point about him being one of the oldest players, that's just not even remotely true. Just a quick count I saw seven players on his own team that were older than him; extrapolate that across the league and then factor in all the over-age players around, etc. It was his fourth year, but he was not old by any stretch.

Now, what's his upside? Probably as a third line, 15-20 goal guy who is big, strong, physical, and defensively responsible. Maybe the potential for a letter as well. I really like Morgan Barron, who sounds intriguing and looked to possess a good amount of skill the handful of times there was a televised/streamed Cornell game. But he's still raw, and we don't really know what his realistic upside is at this point (and remember, he's only 8 months younger than Gettinger). I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer Baron over Gettinger, just don't sleep on Gettinger. He's a nice little prospect that could become one of those fan-favorite players in a few years.

My post wasn't to dismiss Gettinger in any way. My point about his age wasn't to say exactly how many months older he is or isn't than the people around him, it was the general point that he is at the top of the age bracket for that league so doesn't have to deal with the same type of challenge Barron did.

Ultimately, I think both players are long shots to make the NHL in any regular capacity. I do think Gettinger is more likely to make it in a limited capacity/4th line role of the two in my opinion. That just doesn't excite me that much and at this point in our prospect list I value the potentially bigger offensive talent, even if he has a longer way to go to get there.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad