Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Avoid.

The.

Main.

Board.

You will be hard pressed to find a sentence of legitimate hockey talk on the entire board right now regarding the Pens.

I recommend the opposite of Jaded. Don't avoid the main boards. It's a necessary relief to see that other teams have problems too.

Those Pens threads in question are run-of-the-mill.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Optional practice before a game 7 eh? Because we've been playing so awesome the last two games and don't need to work on anything. Love the arrogance of this team. World-class stuff. Sack Bylsma after we get eliminated and bring back Iron Mike from Russia. Maybe he could light a fire under Sid's indifferent ass.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
NlFoxS6.gif

I'll be off work early tomorrow to watch this...if I choose to. I don't know if I want to, but I also don't want to not support my team.

But I have a feeling they'll mail it in.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
NlFoxS6.gif

I'll be off work early tomorrow to watch this...if I choose to. I don't know if I want to, but I also don't want to not support my team.

But I have a feeling they'll mail it in.

Start drinking early, well before the game. If the game proceeds as expected, accelerate.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This is the first time since 2009 in Detroit that I expect them to lose in an elimination game. Don't comment on this post. I'm trying to keep my thoughts "even" in my head.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This is the first time ever that I wouldn't care if they lost an elimination game, especially in embarrassing fashion. Sid's visibly angry/frustrated/checked out, whatever you wanna call it. That's a gigantic red flag that big problems are happening on the ice and behind closed doors. When the best player in the world, and arguably the most intense competitor in the NHL is frustrated to the point of not caring enough to move his damn feet, massive changes need to be made to your franchise.

I find myself in the odd position of not caring how this game turns out. If we win, I'll be happy because we won (even if it means Bylsma & Co. are probably safe). If we lose, I'll be happy because it means maybe--just maybe--we'll take the necessary steps toward becoming a legitimate Cup contender again.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It's hockey and it's the Pens. They are so bi-polar that if they win or lose 5-0, I won't blink.

I'm just indifferent about what happens to them during the playoffs for the first time in my life. Unless they get to the cup, then obviously I'll get pulled back in. I've watched this team since the late 80s as a kid and every playoff year I got nervous during the games. I can honestly say I haven't had one nervous moment the entire playoffs yet.

I just expected Groundhogs Day again, so I'm casually watching now and seeing how things play out.
You've just perfectly described me. Normally on a playoff game day I'd be anxious all day. As game time got closer, I'd get butterflies in my stomach. I'd be pacing by faceoff time. If we went to OT, I'd be a nervous wreck.

This year, nothing. I'm basically numb to it. I even actually fell asleep during one of the 1st round games. I desperately want that excitement back but sadly, that's not up to me.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If we win, it will be because Crosby isn't injured and he takes it into his own hands to fire everyone up.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't think Crosby's far behind Neal on the lazy/dumb play front these playoffs, tbh. It's about the last thing I expected from Sid, but he's shown more than his share of coasting and half-hearted battles lately. We can only hope the Mario visit will break him out of this funk.

Agreed, and that is what is making me call out Sid rather than pinning it all on Bylsma (my normal policy).

I don't think Crosby's effort so far in these playoffs is anyway near up to snuff. I had no such reservations last year against the Bruins never mind if the results weren't there. Crosby is being owned by Dominic Moore and what danger that line creates is pretty much all about Malkin.

Furthermore Crosby is getting into the same kind of territory Letang used to be in when it comes to being PP poison. It is just one bad decision after another.

I am down to hoping he is injured.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well its game 7 and the Rangers defensemen aren't beat up like they're supposed to be and their stars have only gotten time to rest.

I would love to see the Pens get away from any form of the 2-2-1 and go into a 2-3 or the old 1-4. Also make Lunque head go post to post and take him high. I swear almost every Pens shot is at the bottom half of the net.

There are superstar moments in sports and game 7 is the grand stage. I fully EXPECT a win from the Pens and EXPECT their stars to play well. Thrive in the moment.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
4 years ago tonight, the last game ever was played at Mellon arena....let's rock consol and bring home the win! :hockey:

Penguinzilla*

Anyone else tired of the Penguins' passive politically correct quotes all the time, From coach down to the players? I read this from Subban and it made me even more annoyed:

"I play to win, I don't care who's there. I don't care if there's nobody in the stands. I'm going there to win. It's irrelevant to me. I hope that it's a hostile environment. It makes it all better."

I can almost guaranteed the Penguins aren't allowed to say things like that. The Penguins just put their heads down and mope, like their coach.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Remember that game 7 when we absolutely crushed the Caps? Yeah, those were the times. Seriously, win or burn the ****ing Consol. I have zero faith for success in this arena. I mean, we can´t be losing here forever, but how long will it take?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Things do need to change in a big way. That doesn't absolve Sid of his significant part in our struggles though - his performance in our elimination series simply hasn't measured up to his role or his pay grade the last few years.

He's been an afterthought, even relative to his teammates. Staal was our best offensive player against Philly, and Giroux embarrassed him. Sid was useless against Boston...Cooke was our best forward, and Malkin was at least generating chances. Freakin' Dubinsky was outplaying Sid in the CBJ series, and what's worse, Richards didn't even chase that match-up after awhile. Now Sid's mailing it in again this series outside of one or (if we're generous) two games.

His performances are far from our only issue, but I'm not going to attribute all Sid's problems to the organization - I think too much of his talent for that. Crosby's not playing like this because of the system, or the coach, or his teammates. Other Pens are playing well over that period. Lesser players. Current linemates. In the end, he's accountable for his play.

I called Crosby out after the Boston series, as well as Malkin. However, he still had 8 points in the Philly series. I put that series mostly on MAF. He lost his mind in that series, but once again my point all along has been that Toews lost his mind as well, but his coach and his team straightened him out and carried him when he flipped.

Crosby doesn't have that luxury.

This org has tried to stick with the status quo for far too long, even though things clearly aren't working.

With the concussion saga, busted jaw, inept coaching, crap goaltending, Olympic pressure, and shift by shift abuse, I think he's just worn out mentally and physically. Like I said, it happens. He's human.

So I'm not defending his play, but I'm defending the fact that he is a champion, and there are other factors at work that should have never happened, that have him in this state. Tons of people are turning on him and I'm simply not going to do that.

Derrick Pouliot does it pretty regularly. ;)

I do think the Pens can win a Cup with Neal. But not with Neal playing on a different line than Sid and Geno, which that 7 goals in 37 games stat doesn't take into consideration. I'll be the first to admit that Neal's relatively useless when he's not playing with an elite center. If we don't plan on using him in that role moving forward, we should deal him.

A lot of junior players dick around and play lazy. If DP brings his non-chalant attitude to the NHL, I'll call him out as well. For now, he is in juniors and Neal is a 26 year old, "star" NHLer.

IMHO Neal is a third wheel that can score goals. I don't see how he can be considered a core player. If there are big changes, he has to be one of the guys who is on the block and if there is a good deal to be made, Shero needs to pull the trigger.

Neal is the poster boy for what's wrong with this org.. the complacency, the laziness, the selfish and stupid play. It needs to stop.

The culture needs to change, it really does.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I dont know which is going to be worse for my liver... If we win, which means a drunken celebration and at least 4 more painful games to drink through, or if we lose, which means a drunken depressed anger binge followed by a celebration when HCDB gets the Boot

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Malkin rumors--as with every spring--are idiotic.

I do however agree with Dreger about Sid; he's gotta be intensely frustrated and sick of having to carry around at least one anchor on his line, sometimes two (lookin' at you, Kunitz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad