Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Panthers 11/27/13: Mashed Potatahs! Gravy! And Cranberry SAUCE!!

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
People turning on Hank makes me question their knowledge of the sport. Lol

I wouldn't say people are turning him, more that they're concerned about his seemingly frequent lapses this season. He's had some vintage Hank performances, no doubt, but he's been leakier this year than in the past few years. He played well tonight, and I can't complain about his performance, really, but that Bjugstad goal was terrible, and it's a goal that has beaten Lundqvist in the past when it's mattered. Like the Ryan Carter goal a few weeks ago.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Boyle - Brassard - Callahan
Pyatt - Moore - Dorsett

That's a pretty good checking third line with some offense. Pyatt in makes the fourth line worse, but he's a big guy who works hard, so it's still pretty good.

Brassard will not exactly explode on offense with those linemates and he'll get lynched for it.

I'd do a Brass-Moore-Cally line at least. or swap brass and more, whchever is better suited.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Brassard will not exactly explode on offense with those linemates and he'll get lynched for it.

I'd do a Brass-Moore-Cally line at least. or swap brass and more, whchever is better suited.

Why would Moore be in the top-9 over Boyle? Boyle-Brassard-Callahan would probably be a good line.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Skimmed through the game. Even though Florida controlled a lot of stretches and outshot us by quite a margin, Hank wasn't really bothered much. Tracked the puck well. Sucks that some of the guys lost their heads in the 3rd. A shutty would've been great.

And Hanky will start tommorow too. Oh noes!

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
if Dorsett is good to go for Friday, I think AV will finally scratch Pouliot and put in Pyatt in his place

They are both blah. I mean AV has to know Pyatt is not the same guy he had on Vancouver. Even w the yours he went on a goal streak here and there.

Team needs to add a forward on a dZ deal and move one of Pyatt and pouliott in the package

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

How is that a better line? Boyle has
1. Looked good on Brassards wing
2. Played some of his best games on a line with Callahan. Those two work really well together.

Even if Boyle is not an optimal third liner, he is the better option at 3LW ahead of Moore by miles.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I do appreciate that AV wised up and stopped force feeding Cally on the PP and got him away from the skill guys.

Cally simply does not work well with skill guys. Cally needs to stay with the grinders/muckers. When he is with those guys he works much better against weaker Dmen.

Also, Falk is garbage. You got to do something about that six D position. Either trade Del Z or stick him back in the lineup. He is WAY better than Falk.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I wouldn't say people are turning him, more that they're concerned about his seemingly frequent lapses this season. He's had some vintage Hank performances, no doubt, but he's been leakier this year than in the past few years. He played well tonight, and I can't complain about his performance, really, but that Bjugstad goal was terrible, and it's a goal that has beaten Lundqvist in the past when it's mattered. Like the Ryan Carter goal a few weeks ago.

People remember the soft goals (which every goalie gives up through the course of a season), and don't remember the incredible stops. Its just human nature. How about in the first period when Lundqvist made 4 saves on one play sprawled across the crease. Does that not count? Does the fact that Lundqvist's numbers are stellar over the last 14 games or so not count because he has a few weak goals on his ledger? Cam Talbot's 6 starts (6!!!!!!!) empowers this silly argument perpetuated by spoiled brats who are used to the amazing run Lundqvist has had for 8 years and counting. Most of these people probably don't remember when the Rangers were starting Guy Hebert in net, or when Mike Dunham's game fell off a cliff.

The most ironic thing of all is alot of these people are the same ones that begged for a new coach to "unlock the offense" so that "we wouldnt have to rely on Lundqvist as much." Considering that hasn't happened (big surprise :sarcasm:), now the target is on Lundqvist for giving up 2 goals a game instead of 1 over the past month? Its bizarre and its reactionary.

Its just odd that the guys that are big net positives for this team are often the target of such off-based criticisms when theres plenty of real waste on this roster to complain about.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
People remember the soft goals (which every goalie gives up through the course of a season), and don't remember the incredible stops. Its just human nature. How about in the first period when Lundqvist made 4 saves on one play sprawled across the crease. Does that not count? Does the fact that Lundqvist's numbers are stellar over the last 14 games or so not count because he has a few weak goals on his ledger? Cam Talbot's 6 starts (6!!!!!!!) empowers this silly argument perpetuated by spoiled brats who are used to the amazing run Lundqvist has had for 8 years and counting. Most of these people probably don't remember when the Rangers were starting Guy Hebert in net, or when Mike Dunham's game fell off a cliff.

The most ironic thing of all is alot of these people are the same ones that begged for a new coach to "unlock the offense" so that "we wouldnt have to rely on Lundqvist as much." Considering that hasn't happened (big surprise :sarcasm:), now the target is on Lundqvist for giving up 2 goals a game instead of 1 over the past month? Its bizarre and its reactionary.

Its just odd that the guys that are big net positives for this team are often the target of such off-based criticisms when theres plenty of real waste on this roster to complain about.

It's gotten to the point where the fans are so accustomed to Lundqvist bailing the team out while the skaters give him scant goal support that Lundqvist ends up getting the blame when he isn't perfect.

I saw some posts last week that said while it would be nice if the team could put up 2 or more goals, it is really on Lundqvist to ensure that he gives up less than 2 goals since he is supposed to be the best goalie in the league. No one is free from criticism on the team so I don't have an issue if Hank gets some heat after a mediocre game, but to absolve the rest of the team of any responsibility when they have either failed to defend or score goals is beyond absurd.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I had the game on mute in the background, but it looked like there was one part in the first where the Cats had like 5 swipes at the puck in the crease and Hank kept it out.

I wish the rest of the team was "mediocre" if that was the case.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
He was the reason the Rangers were able to get a multi-goal lead in the first place. When that's the case, who cares how he gives up his 1 or 2.

And that lead almost got wiped out. If Richards didn't score that completely fluke goal, Lundqvist giving up that bad angle shot would have mattered and changed the pace of the game. I'm pretty sure you'd care if we were up 4-1 against the Pens and Lundqvist let in 2 softies to let them back in the game. I cared last night when it was 3-0, then 3-1, then 3-2 against the Panthers (not saying the first FLA goal was soft either). If you don't think the Panthers scoring the way they did and when they did didn't give them a little extra pep in their step, I don't know what to tell you because they played like a team possessed after scoring and nearly tied it up.

It's disheartening that Lundqvist is exempt from any sort of criticism because of his past body of work and anyone who speaks anything less than absolute praise of him has people jumping down their throats immediately, saying "OMG YOU ARE SOOO DUMB YOU DONT EVEN NO NETHING ABT HOCKEY IF UR SAYING BAD THINGS ABT LUNDQVIST!" The timeliness of some of the goals he's let in, how he's let them in, against the opposition he's been up against has been mildly disconcerting this season, magnified by the starting stretch. The offense vs. the Panthers gave him some support, but he has to start tightening up/staying focused just like the rest of the team. Someone mentioned his seemingly frequent lapses this season and that's pretty much what I'm trying to get at.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

You know for a guy that has "high standards" for the team you sure have low standards for the supposed best goalie in the league. I don't know we should throw a party every time Lundqvist makes good saves and why they somehow override softies. Lots of average goalies can just make "saves they should make" we need to give Lundqvist a medal for making some tough saves? If it were even a game like Kings game where he bailed us out time after time, ok I can see you making the case but in this game he only faced a handful of those. Why are we lowering our standards into patting an elite goalie on the back whenever he has to break a sweat. BTW, that sequence started because Lundqvist couldn't control a rebound off a shot that hit his chest.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's gotten to the point where the fans are so accustomed to Lundqvist bailing the team out while the skaters give him scant goal support that Lundqvist ends up getting the blame when he isn't perfect.

I saw some posts last week that said while it would be nice if the team could put up 2 or more goals, it is really on Lundqvist to ensure that he gives up less than 2 goals since he is supposed to be the best goalie in the league. No one is free from criticism on the team so I don't have an issue if Hank gets some heat after a mediocre game, but to absolve the rest of the team of any responsibility when they have either failed to defend or score goals is beyond absurd.

Well you know what? It's a 2 way street. It's not like Lundqvist is giving up goals on tough chances and we're losing 2-1. He's giving up almost a softy a game. Why should be absolved of the blame? If Zucc screwed up like he did on that first goal as often as Lundqvist screws up lately, everyone would want his head. Yet Lundqvist gets absolved all the time.

Bardof425*

A win is a win. Florida is not as bad as their record; ask the Flyers who have been lights out lately. They sell out on the forecheck and their D can skate. But, even with all the zone time they had, they didn't get many good scoring chances. Bjugstad had a yawning net and Stralman tied up his stick and there was that flurry in the first period. Otherwise there was a lot of perimeter and point shots.

The thing the Panthers did best was clog up the neutral zone (after the first period). But we capitalized on our chances and won. The second goal for them was hideous, but Hank has been good; not great; except for the Dallas game.

There is room for improvement and not just in play but in lineup. Dominic Moore is taking most big draws now, which means you can add Boyle to the list of Pouliot and Pyatt as guys who can be replaced in the lineup which would create an immediate upgrade. Boyle and Pyatt cannot get to lose pucks and their offense is awful. Pouliot for whatever reason overskates pucks constantly, loses board battles and goes offside regularly. He is pressing and simply doing most things wrong. Replace these three guys and we get better. Dorsett should be in the lineup. And you can promote Asham and Miller and you will get more skill and more jam and more toughness. But none of this will happen and we will continue to wonder why our bottom 6 brings almost no production. It's the players!

Bardof425*

Because not Boyle!

Is this really a question? Boyle is showing night after night why so many of us think he has no place on the ice at even strength. He is truly brutal unless he's blocking a shot, taking a faceoff or holding the puck along the boards. His skills with the puck on his stick are just so bad it's hard to watch. And his skating...don't get me started on his skating.

Dominic Moore is an accomplished NHL player. Please stop comparing Festering to him; it's such an insult.

Bardof425*

How is that a better line? Boyle has
1. Looked good on Brassards wing
2. Played some of his best games on a line with Callahan. Those two work really well together.

Even if Boyle is not an optimal third liner, he is the better option at 3LW ahead of Moore by miles.

Any line Boyle plays on will not score. 4th line. We cannot have a 3rd line that cannot score. Our top two lines are not good enough.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Bardof, in your mind, what accounts for Dominic Moore having 1/6 the amount of points that Boyle does?

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Is this really a question? Boyle is showing night after night why so many of us think he has no place on the ice at even strength. He is truly brutal unless he's blocking a shot, taking a faceoff or holding the puck along the boards. His skills with the puck on his stick are just so bad it's hard to watch. And his skating...don't get me started on his skating.

Dominic Moore is an accomplished NHL player. Please stop comparing Festering to him; it's such an insult.
Weird. When I watch the games I'm thinking the exact opposite. Boyle is a very good 4th liner.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Bardof, in your mind, what accounts for Dominic Moore having 1/6 the amount of points that Boyle does?
Also, why does Moore have a much worse +/- than Boyle, because we all know that +/- is ultra-relevant when evaluating Brian Boyle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad