Speculation: Rangers open to moving a first-round pick

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
One thing about all the Rangers prospects they traded for was that the scouting reports were all the same. High hockey IQ. Hard to beat one on one. Win puck battles. Leaders. Max effort players on every shift. Hate losing. Teammates love them. Put Andersson and Chytil with them who are the same. You have a team once again. Honestly, Rangers had a bunch of players that won a ton of playoff games, got paid and got lazy. It happens. They moved them out. This league is still about winning playoff games with D. Pitt stunk for years in the playoffs because their role players were terrible and their team defense stunk. They won the biggest games with defense in these 2 runs. Devils offense is pretty darn good. Their defenseman are way below average. Which is why I'm amazed they keep on drafting so many forwards.
It's impressive to get so much wrong in just one paragraph. Congrats.

Reactions: Off Sides

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really hope that they don't.
I'm not a Rangers fan but I think it would be cool to watch them draft a disgusting number of youth at this draft and then go back to their crazy spending on UFAs and be in good shape 3 years down the road. It's so doable for them because they've always managed to attract free agents.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm not a Rangers fan but I think it would be cool to watch them draft a disgusting number of youth at this draft and then go back to their crazy spending on UFAs and be in good shape 3 years down the road. It's so doable for them because they've always managed to attract free agents.

um09ZW350R-S7BFjBhybRtfEclsY7C3QyPNwdcCbwhdqNUbMdZPX3zwQBajuAb3gFg_lhCe0KZgIdfXbCiVraQ=s240

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I share your sentiment.

However, the thread title [and lack of explanation] are misleading. Jeff Gorton clearly stated he would be open to move the pick because nothing is absolute. But, if he did move it, it would be for young talent ready to enter the NHL. Maybe a high profile prospect drafted the year before, or one that just entered the league. Or even to move up in the draft. He was essentially saying that he doesn't just have every number blocked when it comes to his draft picks because even though this is a rebuild there is more than one way to skin a cat.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Just wondering about that McDonagh trade. Besides getting futures, is the trade really about getting more cap space? More cap space for a trying to sign Tavares. My feeling is that Tavares want to stay in the the NYC area. Three teams, why not the Rangers.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm keeping all my 1st if I'm the Rangers. Lundqvist is 36 now and probably will retire soon, keep those picks so you'll have something to build around when he retires.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'm not moving 12OA and a late 1st to move up to 7OA.

If I can get in the top 5, maybe.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to move one of the late firsts for two 2nds

I'd only move our top pick to get into the top 5.
I might consider moving both Boston's and Tampa's pick to move up.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Eriksson + Clamato + Cassells and 2019 4th for your 1st

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
If they do, I hope it would be for a RHD. Their defense is looking terrible right now with no apparent fix in the future, especially on the right side. Shattenkirk should come back and Pionk looks like he could be a solid 3rd pairing RHD for next season...and then they don't anyone at all that could even pretend to take that #1 RHD role. Unless they can move up and snag Boqvist, they'll need some major NHL help on defense.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
AA does not warrant a 1st rounder. He has not proven that he's worth this.

Yes, he has blazing speed but that is it. He is a 3rd liner putting up 3rd line numbers.

Regardless of his age, I don't see anyone giving up a 1st for him never mind adding a prospect as well.

Guess we will just wait a year for his numbers to start matching what I think he is worth :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad