Speculation: Rangers open to moving a first-round pick

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
As a Devils fan you should be worried they sign Tavares and Kovalchuk, a couple of those 20 year old defenseman play well next year and make the team, then they trade a first for a good, NHL, stay at home defenseman. IMO, they keep the picks. They sign Kovalchuk. They make a huge run at Tavares.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
As a Devils fan you should be worried they sign Tavares and Kovalchuk, a couple of those 20 year old defenseman play well next year and make the team, then they trade a first for a good, NHL, stay at home defenseman. IMO, they keep the picks. They sign Kovalchuk. They make a huge run at Tavares.

Nah I’m not worried.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
You shoud be. Devils have an AHL defense. Rangers are not that far away. Kreider since that surgery has been a completely different player. Pionk seems to be putting it together. Shattenkirk can really make the PP elite. Especially is they sign Kovalchuk. Gorton is one of the elite scouts in the game. He's just had little to work with before last year. Work to be done for sure. However, if they can have a couple of those 20 year old D guys make the team and hold the fort down, signing JT and Kovalchuk makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
No shock there. But regardless, I've said before, I would be shocked if the Rangers see this rebuild through...not with Henrik still on this roster.

My somewhat educated guess is they pursue and secure both Kovalchuk and JVR. Tavares is a pipe dream and Karlsson is too risky. Then they trade one of their first rounders for a top-pair D-man.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can't read the article but yea, that makes no sense. Rebuilding team will trade their top 10 draft pick..yeaaaaaa.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
One thing about all the Rangers prospects they traded for was that the scouting reports were all the same. High hockey IQ. Hard to beat one on one. Win puck battles. Leaders. Max effort players on every shift. Hate losing. Teammates love them. Put Andersson and Chytil with them who are the same. You have a team once again. Honestly, Rangers had a bunch of players that won a ton of playoff games, got paid and got lazy. It happens. They moved them out. This league is still about winning playoff games with D. Pitt stunk for years in the playoffs because their role players were terrible and their team defense stunk. They won the biggest games with defense in these 2 runs. Devils offense is pretty darn good. Their defenseman are way below average. Which is why I'm amazed they keep on drafting so many forwards.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So many ways to interpret that. As a Devils fan I hope it means they’re going to retool as opposed to rebuild.
Retooling might be good enough for the Rangers. They weren't so bad that they are at the bottom of the league after all. If they can trade one or two for top young players who they can build around (not that those are available often) then it may make sense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You shoud be. Devils have an AHL defense. Rangers are not that far away. Kreider since that surgery has been a completely different player. Pionk seems to be putting it together. Shattenkirk can really make the PP elite. Especially is they sign Kovalchuk. Gorton is one of the elite scouts in the game. He's just had little to work with before last year. Work to be done for sure. However, if they can have a couple of those 20 year old D guys make the team and hold the fort down, signing JT and Kovalchuk makes a lot of sense.

Please just f***ing stop making us look bad.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Possibly looking for a young player that isn't 18 to fill in a gap in the prospect pool since we had so few picks from 2013-2016

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad