Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Oilers - December 11 (and December 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Except that the last two years Talbot looked like Ken Dryden. How is he doing in Edmonton? Not playing. Anti Raanta this year looks like a Vezina candidate. A lot of that is the best goalie coach in the world. Some of it is sound defense.

Rangers haven't been "sound defensively" at all this year.

Want me to go back to all of hank's highlight reel saves from this year? Must I do it? I could probably find one or two highlight reels from Raanta as well.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, that's always been one of my favorite things about Hank, he always shoulders the blame and takes the losses harder than anyone else. He's the most intense competitor on the team.

Too bad hockey has to be a team sport. With all that Hank does for this team he won't be able to win a cup on his own. Just a damn shame.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Hank nailed it "we need to realize where goals are scored from and that's the front of the net"

Of course he's right. Problem is AV's system lends itself to it.

The Hall goal to start the 3rd, Girardi and McD were both behind the net. Every game we give up multiple chances with D from every pair lost on the boards. Forwards are never gonna be as efficient covering the front. Better D personnel will help, but it's also a system issue.

And I don't know what Ulfie is contributing to this team. Beyond inexplicably odd D combos. I'd look to replace him as an assistant if loose defensive play continues this season.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Yeah, that's always been one of my favorite things about Hank, he always shoulders the blame and takes the losses harder than anyone else. He's the most intense competitor on the team.

When the most intense competitor on your team is the goalie, that's a problem. Where is our captain? Where is Mr. $7.8 million a year.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Rangers haven't been "sound defensively" at all this year.

Want me to go back to all of hank's highlight reel saves from this year? Must I do it? I could probably find one or two highlight reels from Raanta as well.

He's had to been in god mode this whole season. I can't think of another team that allows as many point blank chances as we do. I'm not one of those fans who are mostly negative but I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing right now. I am sure we will figure this out but right now we are not playing hockey. We are doing... something but we are not hockeying.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
You clearly have never watched any other Hank postgame interview in your entire life.

Actually I have watched every one of them since Lundqvist got here. And I am a Lundqvist fan. In the past I always noticed he rarely blamed himself. He would always say "we need to play smarter" or "we need to play better". This year is the first time I noticed him going out of his way to blame himself individually.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
This HAS to be rock bottom??!! Right?!?! It can't really get much worse can it? I can stomach the losing, but the way they are losing these games is just crushing. Granted, I actually think they are playing better now, than they were during the winning streak. They just arent winning. Outside of McDonough,Girardi, and hank, no one played badly. Quite a few actually played pretty well. What was mcd thinking on that pinch after the tieing goal?!?! You have to play for the point. Especially with a shaky goalie. These loses are just getting infuriating. I just don't know what these players are thinking most of the time....:shakehead

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Quick things I noticed, Nash lost his assignment 3 times, Etem followed his guy down low on the rush and blocked his own defenders, letting the opposition walk right in for a freshly baked apple pie. Girardi yikes, Stoll wasn't a big fan of mine tonight, especially the last play that developed for the Oilers' 6th goal. Take a look at where all the goals were scored, ignore the empty netter and it's a good indicator we were absolutely careless tonight on our own zone.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Actually I have watched every one of them since Lundqvist got here. And I am a Lundqvist fan. In the past I always noticed he rarely blamed himself. He would always say "we need to play smarter" or "we need to play better". This year is the first time I noticed him going out of his way to blame himself individually.

You are flat out wrong. Just completely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Nah, you're just wrong.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
When the most intense competitor on your team is the goalie, that's a problem. Where is our captain? Where is Mr. $7.8 million a year.

Nash had 3 points tonight, scored the goal to make it 5-5.

AV should've put on Brass' line after scoring. Putting out Stoll's while Edmonton puts out Hall's is shooting yourself in the foot. Why does he have to put out Stool's line after we tie it? Like Stoll is this great defensive player and that line is a shutdown line? Stoll is no Brian Boyle.

Why not put out one of the good lines and instead if immediately conceding possession to Edmonton and hoping to hold on to OT, put out the better line and keep the puck in their zone.

The right move with a healthy lineup, would be to put Stepan out there, he's good offensively, good defensively and good in the neutral zone. The problem is, even if the team were healthy, AV still would've trotted Stoll out there.

Just tons of WTF all around tonight. From McD to G to AV.

Things are not good right now.

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
What a horribly disappointing game. They need a shake-up...and not Tanner Glass. How Stalberg sits for Glass is beyond me.

They're missing assignments and making real bonehead plays.

God, I hope tomorrow goes smoother.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
McDavid would have worked Staal so badly if he played.

Yandle-McIlrath had another great game and the first line got some points at least.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
You are flat out wrong. Just completely wrong.

What happened to the rest of the quote about my opinion not meaning much. I was going to respond that actually none of our opinions on this board really matter.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

A lot of players who needed to contribute offensively did. Mcilrath controlled the play from the back end in a way I haven't seen in a very long time, and he got his first AHL point. Even Staal had some very good moments. Almost everything besides the first pair, and the goaltending (not blaming him) was good.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Guys I think I know what's going on. They're trying to channel their 2013 awful starting road trip to voodoo their way back to the SCF

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
This HAS to be rock bottom??!! Right?!?! It can't really get much worse can it? I can stomach the losing, but the way they are losing these games is just crushing. Granted, I actually think they are playing better now, than they were during the winning streak. They just arent winning. Outside of McDonough,Girardi, and hank, no one played badly. Quite a few actually played pretty well. What was mcd thinking on that pinch after the tieing goal?!?! You have to play for the point. Especially with a shaky goalie. These loses are just getting infuriating. I just don't know what these players are thinking most of the time....:shakehead

Hank wasn't even bad this game. Did you see where the Oilers scored from? And how horrible the Rangers coverage was?

The first goal is a 2-on-1 on the PP, hank comes over to make 2 great stops on the cross-crease, but Korpikoski jams in the third attempt from 2 feet out.

Second goal, Girardi takes the man behind the net, hits him, takes himself out of the play while McDonagh and somene else both take the puck carrier with no coverage in front by the wingers. Again, Korpikoski goes top shelf from two feet out. Don't see what Hank could do here.

Third goal, McDonagh makes a bad pinch, while Stoll and Etem are both back, Etem takes the same man Stoll took, and Girardi doesn't advance forward to try and close in on hall and not give him any space. Instead, he decides to back up and give him all the space in the universe, which leads to Hall feeding it to a wide open Purcell in the slot who scores on a snapper.

Fourth goal, McDonagh and Girardi both behind the net, Girardi bobbles it and loses it along the boards to Purcell I believe, who fed it out in front to Hall who slid it under Hank on a backhander. Note that Nash slid out of the play, and Brassard was standing near the corner on this play. What does Hank do there?

Fifth goal, most save-able for hank, BUT, McDonagh was standing in the slot, until he drifted to the man Miller was taking, leaving Nurse wide open as he shot a wrister under the pad of Lundqvist. Miller probably shouldn't have even been in the slot, as he should have had the point man. But even so, McDonagh saw him covering the man, so why didn't he go to cover the guy sneaking down into the slot?

I rest my case.

RangersOwnNewYork*

This team is killing themselves in the last few minutes of games with absolutely mind numbing bone headed plays. They allow a short handed goal against Tampa in the last minute and lose, allow 2 goals against Boston in the last 5 minutes and lose, and now this ********* play by Mcdonagh after just tying the game. Inexcusable. I just looked at the standings and that big points cushion the rangers had is dwindling. They are only 6 points ahead of the 9th place team. I'm starting to worry and I'm not one to jump off the ledge after every loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad