Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Jacques Martin as an Assistant Coach

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This always irked me because I felt we had the personnel to afford stepping up at the blueline to take away time and space as opposed to giving the opposition extra time and having forwards pick up trailers and then being forced to try to transition.

We had players with size and reach in Trouba and Staal (hear me out, the only thing he was good at is defending with his stick in close range) and then mobile defensemen who could quickly transition up ice (Fox and Tony).

I'd like to see the team begin to be more aggressive between the top of the circle and the blueline to counter the rush rather than sitting back and trying to take away passing lanes. Carolina chewed us out and spit us out because it's easy to adjust to our system (or lack thereof)

Not so much anymore. It's the only part of his game that doesn't completely suck but it's gone from massive strength to just average, and it's easily combated by just chipping the puck by him and creating a foot race that he will usually lose and if he does get to the puck first, he's likely to turn it over.

OTOH, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brendan Smith ends up looking like a stud. Entry break ups are his jam.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Speaking as a Pittsburgh fan he was really solid here for the first couple years then seemed to take a back seat. I always find it bizarre the Pens were consequently undone by a heavy lock or trap the last three years when Martin was one of the best in the business at running that type of system.

Him over Ruff will pay dividends for you guys.

Don’t see our defensemen’s progression as solely Martin’s effect though. Sergei Gonchar supposedly had a huge impact on that development.
We'll still need to improve the LD personnel, but just having a better coach should be a great start.

Reactions: Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
1. Mention winning Jack Adams accolades when Bill Clinton was in office
2. Compared him to Barry Trotz
3. Put down Lindy Ruff
4. Testimonial from rival team that employed Martin

Only thing left is finding out he has beef with a player on our team from years ago

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Not so much anymore. It's the only part of his game that doesn't completely suck but it's gone from massive strength to just average, and it's easily combated by just chipping the puck by him and creating a foot race that he will usually lose and if he does get to the puck first, he's likely to turn it over.

OTOH, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brendan Smith ends up looking like a stud. Entry break ups are his jam.
Could be huge for Miller too

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Marc Staal: Coach Martin, why am I always in the press box?

Jacques Martin:
tenor.gif

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Quinn couldn't come up with a good system if his life depended on it. That's not his strength as a coach

If he wants to keep his job when this team is actually ready to compete, he should be implementing whatever this guy wants and running with it.

Reactions: CLW and rangers1314

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Quinn couldn't come up with a system if his life depended on it. That's not his strength as a coach

If he wants to keep his job when this team is actually ready to compete, he should be implementing whatever this guy wants and running with it.

If nothing else, this should indicate that management wants a steady hand and knows they haven't been nearly good enough even as a defensive team. Martin could take over for Quinn should the day come as well. Jacque Martin is everything Lindy Ruff was meant to be.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He'll run the defense, but it'll certainly help Laf and Gauthier to have a French-speaking coach on the team.

The guy has a wealth of experience and is an excellent soundboard for Quinn. Can't knock this move at all.
Have you heard either of those guys speak? They speak english perfectly well. I don't think Martin saying it in french is going to matter much.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
He should help our PK and hopefully get the young forwards to play Defense which was a big issue for this team last two seasons. It’s bad that our only decent defensive forwards are Zib and Panarin, Kreider,Buch being okay. Fast is probably gone which means our best PK player is gone.

Reactions: Leetch3

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ok it was December, same difference.

At the very least, are they due more credit than they receive?

Disclaimer: 5v5 stats and charts incoming.

5v5 Rates (Against)
  • CA/60 | 48.42 - 1st
  • FA/60 | 35.91 - 1st
  • SA/60 | 27.38 - 2nd
  • GA/60 | 2.12 - 7th
  • xGA/60 | 1.84 - 1st
  • SCA/60 | 21.8 - 1st
  • HDCA/60 | 8.3 - 3rd
  • RA/60 | -0.32 - 1st

5v5 Unblocked Shot Rates (Against)
*Minnesota and New York (I) included in spoilers for comparison
PIT

MIN
NYI

5v5 "Threat" last 25 games
shotPlot-25-5v5-threat.png

Preventing Offense vs. Results
View attachment 290781

xGA/60 - Game Level
View attachment 290789

Now consider that they've achieved everything above while dealing with these injuries:
View attachment 290769

~fin~

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Fantastic hire. He oversaw the defense and PK for Pittsburgh during their most recent cup runs. On paper those teams didn't have particularly strong groups of defensemen and he was able to use them effectively. Our PK was beyond awful under Ruff so surely we will see a huge improvement there.

This is the exact type of veteran X's and O's guy we needed to hire and glue to Quinn from the beginning. They hoped Lindy was that guy but it wasn't working and thankfully the Devils hired him away.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This always irked me because I felt we had the personnel to afford stepping up at the blueline to take away time and space as opposed to giving the opposition extra time and having forwards pick up trailers and then being forced to try to transition.

We had players with size and reach in Trouba and Staal (hear me out, the only thing he was good at is defending with his stick in close range) and then mobile defensemen who could quickly transition up ice (Fox and Tony).

I'd like to see the team begin to be more aggressive between the top of the circle and the blueline to counter the rush rather than sitting back and trying to take away passing lanes. Carolina chewed us out and spit us out because it's easy to adjust to our system (or lack thereof)

I think it's also an issue with the forwards and how all that works. Harder for defensemen to step up in the neutral zone if they don't have the forwards supporting them properly

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have literally no opinion on this. Martin seems like he has been coaching forever. I have no clue what impact he will or will not have. Who knows.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fantastic hire. He oversaw the defense and PK for Pittsburgh during their most recent cup runs. On paper those teams didn't have particularly strong groups of defensemen and he was able to use them effectively. Our PK was beyond awful under Ruff so surely we will see a huge improvement there.

This is the exact type of veteran X's and O's guy we needed to hire and glue to Quinn from the beginning. They hoped Lindy was that guy but it wasn't working and thankfully the Devils hired him away.

Hes the exact opposite of Ruff which as you said, is what we probably needed from the start of Quinn's tenure.

NJD is more or less a lock to finish bottom 3 in GA next year. I don't think we'll be spectacular in that regard, but I expect to jump out of the bottom 10 and hopefully into the middle of the pack. If they can do that while improving the PK, this group is a playoff team quite easily, injuries aside.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I think it's also an issue with the forwards and how all that works. Harder for defensemen to step up in the neutral zone if they don't have the forwards supporting them properly

This is true and this is why I've been a proponent of acquiring some bottom 6 muscle (particularly at center). It would help the transition game Quinn likes to play immensely if we have centers who are fast enough and defensively responsible enough to drop into the middle to pick up the gap the defense creates when doing this.

Zibanejad is probably the only one who frequently provides good support on the opponent's counter rush to break up plays. Chytil can loop around and provide a good outlet as well at times. Strome is pretty lousy defensively and don't even get me started on Howden.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I like this. I think it will help our team look more structured in our play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Yeah, I felt like Ranger defensemen were forced to backup a lot last year because of partial odd mans against and just poor gaps between them and the forwards. They like to create off the rush more than your average team, so that's part of it, turnovers and just guys being out of position. Also, just a poor forechecking system in general that starts up front.

Hopefully JM can help install a better forechecking system that doesn't leave the D out to dry as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad