Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Jacques Martin as an Assistant Coach

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Big fan of this move assuming he will be in charge of the defense and PK.

I always felt that the Penguins defensive group was a good example of a coaching staff doing more with less. Their penalty kill has always been good from what I remember.

If we can bring in a competent partner for Trouba (in the mold of a player like Vince Dunn) I can see this defensive group taking a step forward with positive development from Fox, Lindgren and DeAngelo.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
His head coaching record speaks for itself -- consistently 5-10 games over .500 means he's generally good at what he does. As also said in here, Pitt's PK was pretty solid the last few years. I like this hire a lot, good experience but clearly a modernized coach

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Some good info on what Martin has done:
Thoughts on Jacques Martin as a potential NY Rangers assistant coach

2. Whereas Ruff’s teams did not have defensive success, Martin’s teams did. Martin won a pair of Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh. He did so with a defense unit leaning heavily on Trevor Daley, Olli Maata, and Brian Doumoulin in their top-four in 2015-2016. Ron Hainsey replaced Olli Maata the following season. He didn’t exactly have a Murderer’s Row of defensive stalwarts.

3. That’s where Martin’s success is – he makes the full team better despite the parts. He’s a lot like Barry Trotz in that regard. The team is better than the sum of the parts, and he gets complete buy-in. While in Pittsburgh, Martin liked to play a hybrid zone defense, ranging from an overload to force turnovers and a low zone collapse to protect high priced real estate. It’s a simple system that has its flaws, but works. Sometimes, less is more. He also ran a 1-2-2 forecheck in his head coaching days, which is the exact forecheck the Rangers use, relatively inconsistently.

his full coaching record here:
Jacques Martin NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Speaking as a Pittsburgh fan he was really solid here for the first couple years then seemed to take a back seat. I always find it bizarre the Pens were consequently undone by a heavy lock or trap the last three years when Martin was one of the best in the business at running that type of system.

Him over Ruff will pay dividends for you guys.

Don’t see our defensemen’s progression as solely Martin’s effect though. Sergei Gonchar supposedly had a huge impact on that development.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Hopefully he'll stop the "welcome to our zone, have a good time!" brand of defense at our blueline.

This always irked me because I felt we had the personnel to afford stepping up at the blueline to take away time and space as opposed to giving the opposition extra time and having forwards pick up trailers and then being forced to try to transition.

We had players with size and reach in Trouba and Staal (hear me out, the only thing he was good at is defending with his stick in close range) and then mobile defensemen who could quickly transition up ice (Fox and Tony).

I'd like to see the team begin to be more aggressive between the top of the circle and the blueline to counter the rush rather than sitting back and trying to take away passing lanes. Carolina chewed us out and spit us out because it's easy to adjust to our system (or lack thereof)

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Wow. He won a Jack Adams as the HC of Ottawa in '98-'99. I had no idea.

Yeesh. Look at the list from the last ten years:

2010–11Dan BylsmaPittsburgh Penguins1
2011–12Ken Hitchcock[d]St. Louis Blues1
2012–13Paul MacLeanOttawa Senators1
2013–14Patrick RoyColorado Avalanche1
2014–15Bob HartleyCalgary Flames1
2015–16Barry Trotzhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Adams_Award#cite_note-b-5
[TBODY] [TD]Washington Capitals[/TD][TD]1[/TD]
[TR][TD]2016–17[/TD][TD]John Tortorella[/TD][TD]Columbus Blue Jackets[/TD][TD]2[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]2017–18[/TD][TD]Gerard Gallant[c][/TD][TD]Vegas Golden Knights[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]2018–19[/TD][TD]Barry Trotz[/TD][TD]New York Islanders[/TD][TD]2[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad