Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ Maple Leafs [mod warning post #378]

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I literally yelled out at my TV, "a minute left to protect a lead and you've got Staal out there?" I mean what's protecting a lead without Staal muffing a pass to a man who's not open, falling down behind the net, and being out of the play?
I’m not one to pick on strategy, I’m just not that confident in my knowledge. Yes, I “appeal to authority” in these cases. BUT, with this one I’ll stick my neck out and agree: Staal needs to play really sheltered minutes and be a last-ditch alternative. I appreciate his leadership and he’s ok on the PK. But it’s time to give the tough mins to pretty much anyone else. My good memories of Staal have turned to images of him frustratedly fishing the puck out of the net.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He's snakebitten but cmon man I'm pretty sure he's generated the most high danger scoring chances of any Ranger the past 5 games. He's been flat out flying, winning nearly every puck battle, driving to the net, drawing penalties, and just having a stretch of brutal luck. The last few games I've been watching the other teams feeds, and they were all raving about Buchnevich and all the chances he's getting and talking about how he just can't buy a lucky bounce
Totally agree. Buch has been terrific lately and completely snakebit. I also think he has had some yips too.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
When something happens for 4 seasons, can it still be bad puck luck?
He has been slowly and steadily improving, if you ask me. I agree he has been frustrating but I also have been pretty encouraged, lately in particular. I wouldn’t have an issue with trading him, but I also think there’s a chance he ends up putting it together. He doesn’t seem stuck in neutral, to me.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is this what you got from this? I was comparing the specific situation where the fanbase (and coaching staff and the player himself) experienced frustration from wanting more production based on skills exhibited. The same was happening over 20 years ago with Kovalev, unless you forgotten.
I can corroborate this. Kovalev was a true wild horse. That team wasn’t big on “development” though.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
And now 36 points in 39 games for a 26 year old from East Palestine, Ohio. What a bozo.

I remember the Miller haters. Not saying Buch will blossom like that but he's solid and plays a stronger two-way game nowadays.
“Late Bloomer” is a thing?!?!

Reactions: will1066

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I thought it was saved also. Sam is a legend, and people need to give him a little respect. Dude is in his 70’s and want him to retire on his own terms.
Yeah. I personally just want the tv announcers to be people I like and who can give some astute insight. I don’t need perfect, I have eyes. For radio I want more precision, naturally. But for tv just give me a virtual hockey buddy and I’m happy. Sam is a terrific hockey buddy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
tony obviously loves to be the wise guy. thats his comfort zone.

his use of twitter to bust on the analytics folks is made sweeter by the reactions he gets. this in turn makes tony bust chops even more.

dont think for a second that these guys dont read stuff online and certainly on SM. i wouldnt be surprised if they dont lurk on this site for laughs. i think they do.

loved his tweet after he signed. "nyr fans, we good now" ? lol

this kinda stuff by tony makes me like his gusto even more. dudes a smartass and i love it.
Yeah. Years ago we wouldn’t have any idea about a guy’s personality. Now it’s like a defining issue for some.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Apologies for the stream of consciousness. I’m jet lagged and reading a lot. All your comments make wakeful hours go by pleasantly. Thank you.

(and all the better after a couple wins :))

Deleted member 23124

Yeah. Years ago we wouldn’t have any idea about a guy’s personality. Now it’s like a defining issue for some.
That's because by the time they reached a semi-professional level, someone had knocked some sense into them.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
That's because by the time they reached a semi-professional level, someone had knocked some sense into them.
I'm pretty sure Tony's personality was more common among NHL:ers back in the day, breaking balls and not being afraid to get pushback. I'd rather say that the panopticon of social media has made players a lot more gunshy and "boring". They play it safe, probably with good reason.

Deleted member 23124

I'm pretty sure Tony's personality was more common among NHL:ers back in the day, breaking balls and not being afraid to get pushback. I'd rather say that the panopticon of social media has made players a lot more gunshy and "boring". They play it safe, probably with good reason.
I agree...I do have to disagree about the "gun shy" comment considering some of the stuff by and/or about athletes that has popped up.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Guys, this is SERIOUS SPORTS, let's be respectful of everyone and careers and think of the children always.

That means NO LAUGHING when our esteemed aging PBP guy makes funny blunders. A formal nod acknowledging the years of service is acceptable, then and move on.

Please- NO KNOCKING ANALYTICS! And for that matter, NO KNOCKING THE EYE TEST! Actually, no bashing anyone or anything anymore! This is a new era of sensitivity, and differing view points are WRONG and therefore NO LONGER TOLERATED. As such, Twitter/SM is canceled, no need for bloggers....oh wait...

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
JT Miller did the same thing in Tampa when he first got there... then returned to form the season after.

He's an extremely talented player with issues.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
JT Miller did the same thing in Tampa when he first got there... then returned to form the season after.

He's an extremely talented player with issues.

Vancouver is ignoring Miller's gaffes, he is still making them but he is on a talented enough line that things get covered up. I think Miller has been pointed out and now people focus when he makes a mistake more than say if Zuccarello, Stamkos or Peterson makes one, but it seems as though Vancouver is willing to ignore his warts and let him play his game, its working for them but like here and in Tampa if he is making those mistakes in the playoffs I'm sure they will react differently much like we did.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
To me, having DeAngelo on your team is like having a cat.

You care for your cat and you love your cat, but you also acknowledge that your cat is an *******.

I actually find it somewhat refreshing. He reminds me of half the guys I played football in high school with in the ‘80s in Jersey.

Players being forced to be PC makes things boring.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I actually find it somewhat refreshing. He reminds me of half the guys I played football in high school with in the ‘80s in Jersey.

Players being forced to be PC makes things boring.
I like having him on the team and I've defended both he and Lemmy many times.

I just think the "har har wise guy Tony" takes are disingenuous. He means exactly what he's saying and people are well within their rights to think he sounds foolish.

Don't mean I hate the guy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I like having him on the team and I've defended both he and Lemmy many times.

I just think the "har har wise guy Tony" takes are disingenuous. He means exactly what he's saying and people are well within their rights to think he sounds foolish.

Don't mean I hate the guy.

He’s chirping (pun intended “twitter”), so just like in hockey one can choose to chirp back, ignore or get offended.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So he's "chirping" (again, we're saying this as if he doesn't mean it) non-players on Twitter for doing their jobs?

That's admirable.
So what?

He trolled people who watch spreadsheets instead of the actual game and people got offended. Geez, it was total Jersey, dripping with sarcasm. In the 80s, if you couldn’t bust balls in the locker room, you were not welcome on the team.

This is why the term snowflake gets thrown around with impunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad