3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
In terms of metrics, we are in a league of our own when it comes to 5v5 xGA and HDCA - by far the worst in the league.

I agree on the areas of focus too. I've always been a proponent of maximizing strengths and only focusing on weaknesses when they are unacceptably bad and cripple your entire performance.

Is passing up shots killing our offence? Definitely not, the assertion is absurd on its face as a team that wins on the back of goal scoring and goaltending. We are overpassing, but it is not nearly the biggest issue with the team and it is a style that fits many of our best offensive players. Let them figure it out and focus on defensive structure. We have for years been the worst team in the leauge at defending the neutral zone, how about we figure that one out so we aren't letting the opposition enter our zone with possession every single time? There was a pretty funny moment last night where Staal was backing up and DeAngelo suddenly decided to cross the ice and check the Toronto player entering the zone - I guess he had enough of the passive style we've been playing. To add insult to injury we are using our best NZ defenceman as a 4th line wing.
I noticed Tony do that and had the same thought lol

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not for nothing but I just watched the condensed game on NHL.com and it used the Sportsnet feed and on the GWG the pbp guy for that feed (Hughson) also called it as a save for Andersen.

Must’ve been related to their vantage point. Still, Sams call was hilarious.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm team Tony here, Herman and the gang are acting like little b-words.

Vince is 100% correct as usual:

He consistently seems to have this effect on people but somehow it's always incumbent upon those reacting to him :dunno:

He's a good player and I don't believe that he's a locker room problem but he sounds like Milbury when he talks about literally anything.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He consistently seems to have this effect on people but somehow it's always incumbent upon those reacting to him :dunno:

He's a good player and I don't believe that he's a locker room problem but he sounds like Milbury when he talks about literally anything.

he's being a troll...if people react to a troll and start crying yeah its on them in a way...and anyone that took insult from his joke needs thicker sick.

it isn't vince's job to fight the fight of fancy stat folks...adam and others have twitters and blogs etc where they are free to 'educate' people about the value of those stats, its not vince's job. instead they cry like children about tony being a big meanie.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
he's being a troll...if people react to a troll and start crying yeah its on them in a way...and anyone that took insult from his joke needs thicker sick.

it isn't vince's job to fight the fight of fancy stat folks...adam and others have twitters and blogs etc where they are free to 'educate' people about the value of those stats, its not vince's job. instead they cry like children about tony being a big meanie.
I mean, he's devaluing what they've dedicated their careers to. I forgive them for not laughing their asses off at Tony's chicanery.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well you've got the generation right.

He's a pro tip: the youngest millennials are turning 24 this year. The youngest.

I haven't had angst since 2008. I've got credit card debt and acid reflux disease.

Congrats on taking your first steps too adulting..But just wait, it gets better..

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I gotta know why Skjei and Fox were on the ice for the PK together. Also need to know why Lindgren and Staal were both out there for the last minute. Was there an icing? If not, did DQ and Ruff not learn from the last time he had Lindgren and Staal out on the ice together late in a period.

Unreal

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Right now, I'm just blind. I'm working on it.

Give me a few more of these hot DeAngelo takes to kill the brain cells.

Don't sell yourself short.
You're just about there now.

Those crazy stat takes already got quite a jump on Tony D lol.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Some of those bloggers are taking things personally. I saw one guy saying that Tony is putting down an entire industry and invalidating all their hard work. Come on with that, he's trolling at this point. Don't be so sensitive. Not everyone is going to hold your work in as high esteem as you do but if you're confident in what you're doing then you shouldn't worry about what a single player says about it. It kind of speaks to a particular type of egotism to expect that everyone who reads the stats is going to interpret the data the same way you do and come to the same conclusions you do.

Plus, not for nothing, we shouldn't expect players to look at things the same way as impartial observers from their couch. When you're on the team and on the inside you look at things a lot differently.

He's a brash guy who saw what he perceived as people crapping on his teammate who he obviously values highly so he "stood up for him" and commented on it. At this point he's just trolling to get a rise out of people and it's clearly working. I'd rather my players not do stuff like this and just keep these jokes to themselves but what are you gonna do?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
No. Pavel Buchnevich is NOT an effective 2nd liner. You are using his point total as the baseline of his value. His ‘production‘ is entirely replaceable - I want someone else that doesn’t possess all the inadequate traits and deficiencies that I find him to be. 89’s ‘good’ does not outweigh his ‘bad’ - his loss would be addition by subtraction.
Why?

What about his game is so bad? I don't get the antipathy here.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So Buchnevich has pts in 1 of his last 15 games playing all with Panarin or Mika and he keeps getting rewarded with mins? Didn’t Kakko lose a top 6 spot for only putting up assists in those spots?

this is the guy to move.

This one is on Dave Quinn in my book. Buch was playing just fine and then DQ starts attacking him for no reason.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just watched the game this morning. Three stars - Panarin, Strome, Georgiev. HM to Zib and Kreider. A few thoughts

• I love Chytil's game. I know the points aren't coming, but I've been watching him closely away from the puck. His positioning and awareness is getting better, but still has room for improvement. The most noticeable thing is his hustle on the back check and his commitment away from the puck. It's fantastic to see, and I imagine it's not lost on the coaches.
  • I'm seeing small amounts of improvement in Howden, which is good to see. He's still making a ton of mistakes and bad plays, but he's making some good plays as well. So long as there is progress, I'm happy. And to that end...I'm not seeing that with Kakko. He's stagnant, and it's worrying me a bit. I'm not expecting him to be a 25 goal scorer this season, but I want to see his game moving in the right direction, and I'm not.
  • Fox has been "struggling" for a couple weeks now. His confidence seems to have dropped a bit, and we're see a few more mistakes with the puck and indecisiveness. That being said, I'll reiterate what I said when his play first dipped a bit - if this is Fox at a low point, then we are surely looking at a superstar in the making. The guy is still such a net positive on the ice.
  • It seemed like every other shift we were hemmed in our own zone, it was Trouba & Skjei on the ice. Count me as thoroughly unimpressed with Trouba this year (outside of the first couple weeks of the season). I also just think that pair doesn't work, I wonder if Trouba would be better with Lindgren? (but I don't want to break up Lindgren and Fox).
  • For all the accolades that Panarin gets (and rightfully so), I think the player that has put a smile on my face the most this season is Zib. The guy is just...wow. I was thinking, he must be the first forward the Rangers have "developed" in to a superstar since Gilbert, right? Developed meaning, either homegrown or a player who ascended to the status of star while on the Rangers. The Rangers have done a great job of developing good forwards throughout the lineup (Stepan, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, Miller, etc.) in the last decade and a half, but none of them were true stars. The 90s were a dearth of offensive talent. Kovalev came close, but only became a star while on Pittsburgh. Ditto for Amonte on Chicago. Kisio wasn't close to this good, neither was Turcotte. The only guy that comes close to fitting the bill in the last 40 years is Graves, but he wasn't as much of an offensive driver as he was an elite complimentary piece.

I agree on everything except Trouba. He is a positive surprise to me. I think he is strong mentally and a leader on the ice. His physical game. One of my favorites on this team. They get the hard minutes and our team have been destroyed during those for a long time.

*Howden should stay on the wing. LW. He is by far playing his best hockey there. He and Lemieux can together replace Kreider.

*I am far from the biggest Strome supporter. But he is playing better and better.

I still have my reservations, but...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The funny thing about Sam's overtime call was that the Toronto broadcast made the same exact mistake - "Great Save !!! No wait, its in!"

I guess from the broadcast angle, it looked like a save.

I thought it was saved also. Sam is a legend, and people need to give him a little respect. Dude is in his 70’s and want him to retire on his own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad