Speculation: Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
only thing that scares me about this is Richards was our "de facto Captain" and he was part of a eastern conference winning team so slats might think he should stay for the short term and sacrifice the long term like he has on multiple occassions

The question is, with so many contracts coming up for renewal, can he afford Richards. Further, for the future, the team would take a cap hit for years and years. I'm not sure how feasible keeping Richards would be, even if thinking short term. My original thinking, without realizing the special buyout provisions that end this year, was he would stay here with MSL in hopes of getting back what he had lost. But now realizing the financial implications, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him. As far as being captain...the Rangers got rid of their captain. There are enough leaders on this team to step up. I'm sure they'll be fie.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The question is, with so many contracts coming up for renewal, can he afford Richards. Further, for the future, the team would take a cap hit for years and years. I'm not sure how feasible keeping Richards would be, even if thinking short term. My original thinking, without realizing the special buyout provisions that end this year, was he would stay here with MSL in hopes of getting back what he had lost. But now realizing the financial implications, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him. As far as being captain...the Rangers got rid of their captain. There are enough leaders on this team to step up. I'm sure they'll be fie.

If he was signed for another year or two, maybe I could buy that your retaining an off-ice leader.

But the 6 years is the back breaker. Hes gone.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Odd how some players can score a PPG into their late 30's like Oates Jagr MSL and Selanne, but others drop off immediately after age 30. Hard to predict.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Odd how some players can score a PPG into their late 30's like Oates Jagr MSL and Selanne, but others drop off immediately after age 30. Hard to predict.

sometimes you can predict that it'll happen when that player joins the Rangers. Perhaps the Rangers should commission a study on those players who joined and then seemed to not cut it. Track their daily habits, where they live, married, single, etc., and try to find out the formula for those who worked and replicate it. Richards joins the Rangers at age 31 and has his worst season on a points per game basis in pretty much his entire career. It's just weird and that's why the fanbase is jaded about every trade/signing of a guy in his early 30s.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If he was signed for another year or two, maybe I could buy that your retaining an off-ice leader.

But the 6 years is the back breaker. Hes gone.

The way the "cap recapture" kills you if the player retires early make this a no brainer. If it would be a 1-2 million penalty for a year or two then maybe you've got something to think about. If Richards retires at 37 (if he even makes it to 37) the penalty is over 5 million for 3 seasons. Outrageous.

They should've allowed contract renegotiation as an option (albeit one the player doesn't have to utilize if he doesn't want to) for players that might have wanted the choice to stick with their current club -OR- allowing the buyout and resign option to the parent club first.

I get the idea behind not allowing him to sign with the same club, but I don't agree with it.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don't think I've come across someone who genuinely wants to keep Richards :laugh:

If his contract weren't an issue, I'd keep him as a 3C and replace him on the PP. He's well liked around the league and definitely has room presence. His contract is the problem. You could do a lot worse than him as a component up the middle.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
If his contract weren't an issue, I'd keep him as a 3C and replace him on the PP. He's well liked around the league and definitely has room presence. His contract is the problem. You could do a lot worse than him as a component up the middle.

I would be iffy about wanting him back to begin with. He showed drastic signs of deterioration. His contract just puts it over the top.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I mean, swap ROR for Staal last off season... do we win the Cup then?

Who would have filled the hole on the 2nd pairing?

Sounds to me that we would have been strengthening one important position while weakening another.... I don't see that as a move that would have dramatically improved our team in the short term.... One of the reasons why the Rangers were able to advance as far as we did was due to our defensive depth and our ability to have 'shutdown' style defenseman rounding out our top 2 pairings.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So... On the highly unlikely off-chance that Richards is retained for the rest of his contract... What then? It's getting late...

It's getting late? The window to buy him out opened 19 hours ago and doesn't close for another two weeks. No one should have expected this to go down today.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
It's getting late? The window to buy him out opened 19 hours ago and doesn't close for another two weeks. No one should have expected this to go down today.

Guess I have to cancel the party for tonight then. :(

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Who would have filled the hole on the 2nd pairing?

Sounds to me that we would have been strengthening one important position while weakening another.... I don't see that as a move that would have dramatically improved our team in the short term.... One of the reasons why the Rangers were able to advance as far as we did was due to our defensive depth and our ability to have 'shutdown' style defenseman rounding out our top 2 pairings.

But his point is now someone like Staal could be moved to bring in a center like ROR.

I think Conor Allen will replace Staal on the 2nd pair. An Allen-Stralman (if he resigns) pair could be very good.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
I don't see why they would keep Richards. He pretty much has to go. Desperately need the cap space.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Everyone who did not see this coming raise your hands.

Anyone? Anyone?

:towel: haha, i sorta count. I knew it could definitely happen but I didn't think it was a sure-thing like a lot of people did because i didn't understand the new retirement cap recapture clauses in the new CBA. I thought his contract would be grandfathered so that if he retires, the contract just comes off the cap so I was like "I don't see what the big deal is." Hope he goes back to Dallas. He'd do well behind Seguin in the depths

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Hypothetically speaking. Is there any rule that says richards can't be bought out, signed by another team and then traded to the rangers?

Just wondering if a scenario like this is even possible as a "loop hole" for any bought out players.

Richards didn't want to speak with the media. Perhaps they already told him its happening and he just couldn't deal with the media with a fake face.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
From the article

That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

big difference though is last year we had the option to stick with him for another year cause there weren't better options and then buy him out at the end of the year...right now this is it, there is no amnesty buyout next summer. we either do it now or we are stuck with him and the cap recapture penalty that will carry on for basically the rest of our lifetimes lol.

we weren't forced to make a decision last summer....now we are

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
This should be done ASAP. Stop it and just do it already.

Yeah, the reality is there's nothing to think about. It HAS to be done or this team is in big trouble cap wise. Perhaps they were waiting until after breakup day to do it. Hard to say...but they can't honestly be thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad