Speculation: Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
From the article

Larry Brooks of the Post called it a "fait accompli" that Richards has played his last game for the Rangers, and the Globe's Fluto Shinzawa said that the Rangers would be right to use their amnesty on Richards due to his diminishing skills.

That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
From the article

That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

Last year it didn't make as much sense though. Re evaluate and see him under a new coach, see if anything changes, etc.. and actually he was a big part in getting us to the SCF, so it worked.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Last year it didn't make as much sense though. Re evaluate and see him under a new coach, see if anything changes, etc.. and actually he was a big part in getting us to the SCF, so it worked.

Yeah, I'm not second guessing that decision to keep him. Just saying, last year made a ton of sense too. Huge risk taken that he wouldn't be hurt when this year's buyout window opened up. So I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

nikonsniper*

Yeah, I'm not second guessing that decision to keep him. Just saying, last year made a ton of sense too. Huge risk taken that he wouldn't be hurt when this year's buyout window opened up. So I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

Aside from the risk of injury, the real "what if" in my mind is that, had Richards been bought out last year, would that have forced a move that offseason (or during) to bring in a real #1C, and would that have made the difference in the Finals?

I mean, swap ROR for Staal last off season... do we win the Cup then?

I doubt that Sather&Co would have taken the 'wait and see' approach with richards if they knew the team was going to be a few periods away from winning the cup.

I'm going to guess that Glen didn't see this coming. They were likely seeing this season as a building block/transition, with a new coach and all. I believe that led them to believe they could hold onto Richards as a stop-gap in the meantime.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Aside from the risk of injury, the real "what if" in my mind is that, had Richards been bought out last year, would that have forced a move that offseason (or during) to bring in a real #1C, and would that have made the difference in the Finals?

I doubt that Sather&Co would have taken the 'wait and see' approach with richards if they knew the team was going to be a few periods away from winning the cup.

Do we get there without Richards though? He had some big goals and plays along the run.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I'm going to guess that Glen didn't see this coming. They were likely seeing this season as a building block/transition, with a new coach and all. I believe that led them to believe they could hold onto Richards as a stop-gap in the meantime.

Pretty huge question. Depending on who played Staal's minutes, chances are the Pens would have finished the job and we wouldn't have even made the ECF.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Pretty huge question. Depending on who played Staal's minutes, chances are the Pens would have finished the job and we wouldn't have even made the ECF.

Yes, but having 3 #1 defensemen is a luxury most teams cannot afford. They can't rely on that forever. It will cost them way too much.

You have to hope McD never has that slow start to the playoffs ever again.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

Long overdue. Should have done this last off-season

I believe he actually hurt us in these Finals. He didn't produce offensively. He hurt us with his lack of speed and many turnovers. Now Sather learns finally...too late as usual.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Long overdue. Should have done this last off-season

I believe he actually hurt us in these Finals. He didn't produce offensively. He hurt us with his lack of speed and many turnovers. Now Sather learns finally...too late as usual.

He still scored over 50 points during the regular season and was a leading scorer in the playoffs for the Rangers through the first two rounds or so. It's very likely they don't make it to the finals without him, even though he did bomb out in the finals pretty hard.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is 99.9999999999999917% certain so I'm surprised it is even a discussion. I think they have around 2 weeks to do it. May not want to dump on Richards right after the cup but it will be done.

AHB*

This is 99.9999999999999917% certain so I'm surprised it is even a discussion. I think they have around 2 weeks to do it. May not want to dump on Richards right after the cup but it will be done.

Just bite the bullet. Richards knows it's business. It would be wrong to string him along.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
They didn't have to do it last year. They had the liberty to see how he would bounce back with a new coach. They don't have that luxury this summer.

that's the rub. Gets expensive after this year. Replacing him isn't a slam dunk. Heck, even without him this team doesn't ice a team filled with the guys who competed for the Stanley Cup. Sather needs to find a rabbit in a hat.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Actually it's doing him a favor.

He can start thinking about his future ASAP.

Start thinking about his future? His future is that of an NHL centerman. Just doesn't know where he will end up. Sure he will find a gig, perhaps taking a one year to show he can still play and take it from there. He's 34 years old and was third on his team in scoring (second in goals). He's not done yet...

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
that's the rub. Gets expensive after this year. Replacing him isn't a slam dunk. Heck, even without him this team doesn't ice a team filled with the guys who competed for the Stanley Cup. Sather needs to find a rabbit in a hat.

I'm actually not really worried about replacing him. I'm very comfortable with the idea that the Rangers can make up for his production by getting more from guys already on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad