Speculation: Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yes, but having 3 #1 defensemen is a luxury most teams cannot afford. They can't rely on that forever. It will cost them way too much.

You have to hope McD never has that slow start to the playoffs ever again.

I dont' disagree, just answered the question.

Hard to say what they can and can't rely on. That D depth paid huge dividends. Other teams have similar O depth, and you rarely hear people say that they can't afford to keep it. They need to decide what type of team they want to be, and then make decisions in that framework.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Is it possible, that if Richards makes an agreement with the Ranges to retire at a certain age, that he will be kept around ?

That being said, Richards is going to make one hell of a salespitch to Sather if he wont be gone by the end of the week

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is it possible, that if Richards makes an agreement with the Ranges to retire at a certain age, that he will be kept around ?

That being said, Richards is going to make one hell of a salespitch to Sather if he wont be gone by the end of the week

The recapture rules make that scenario unattractive for the Rangers.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Aside from wanting to stay with people he's bros with by now, being bought out isn't really bad for Richards. He gets all his money AND gets another contract. In addition, he doesn't have the pressure of being counted on to perform at a level that he simply can't perform at anymore in a huge market.

I'm still bitter about the league and PA deciding to retroactively change the terms of contracts already signed with the recapture penalty. I think that's complete BS. But, it's the reality they all have to work in now, so it is what it is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm still bitter about the league and PA deciding to retroactively change the terms of contracts already signed with the recapture penalty. I think that's complete BS. But, it's the reality they all have to work in now, so it is what it is.

I am too. Sort of. I think it's eminently unfair, but then again, without the Cap Recap, I don't think Richards gets bought out.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Richards sucked most of the last 2 years, but not for lack of effort. He just has no skill anymore. Although I'm not exactly sure how his IQ followed that path.

I'd consider slacking during the summer and admitting he was fully out of shape a characteristic of lack of effort.

He cashed in and he knew it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I am too. Sort of. I think it's eminently unfair, but then again, without the Cap Recap, I don't think Richards gets bought out.

True. He should probably go, but still, Rangers lose depth because of terms that have been retroactively inserted into a contract they signed. Other teams have this problem, too. You put it well, it's just unfair to both teams and players who agreed to terms under entirely different conditions.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Even if the rules did not change the team might think it was better to have a younger player for that cap hit. We need that money to sign some of our own guys as well.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Richards sucked most of the last 2 years, but not for lack of effort. He just has no skill anymore. Although I'm not exactly sure how his IQ followed that path.

How about the lockout?

Didn't seem like he worked all that hard then. Came into the season not ready and sucked for the whole remainder of it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Even if the rules did not change the team might think it was better to have a younger player for that cap hit. We need that money to sign some of our own guys as well.

True.

I think it's time for Miller to get a real shot anyway honestly. We didn't draft the kid to not use him. He's progressed as any good prospect is expected to, and now there's a hole at his natural position. Doesn't hurt that NYR are in a cap crunch of sorts, either.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hes done.

its the right decision and everyone knows it.

richards carried us early in the season. he started like gangbusters. he tired as the season went on and eventually looked like he was either injured or fatigued.

he can still play a 3c role perhaps on a team looking for a vet. good luck to him.

time to move on.

and i am NOT one to think we can replace him with someone in house. the idea is not to replace him, its to get better and that means younger, bigger and faster down the middle.

our centerman with out beaver are really not good enough to generate enough offense. they just arent.

great teams are great down the middle. we arent.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

If the rules didn't change they wouldn't have implemented a compliance buyout procedure.

If the rules didn't change, Richards would be traded (if anyone would take him) or we'd have to go through a normal buyout procedure with him, which would cost us money on the Cap.

The rule change helps the Rangers if they simply buy him out. It lets them get out of the contract.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

While this is true, it also means he could easily be traded with the Rangers retaining some % of salary. The Recap took the trade option 100% off the table for us.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
True.

I think it's time for Miller to get a real shot anyway honestly. We didn't draft the kid to not use him. He's progressed as any good prospect is expected to, and now there's a hole at his natural position. Doesn't hurt that NYR are in a cap crunch of sorts, either.

stepan
brass
miller
moore

are we good here ?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
hes done.

richards carried us early in the season. he started like gangbusters. he tired as the season went on and eventually looked like he was either injured or fatigued.

he can still play a 3c role perhaps on a team looking for a vet. good luck to him.

time to move on.

and i am NOT one to think we can replace him with someone in house. the idea is not to replace him, its to get better and that means younger, bigger and faster down the middle.

our centerman with out beaver are really not good enough to generate enough offense. they just arent.

Okay, but in a very literal way, someone needs to replace him. Miller is younger, bigger and faster. And Step is absolutely good enough to generate offense, and Brass is more than good enough to generate 3C offense. The 2C is going to be hard for sure, but with the cap as it is, there's absolutely no room for another player to come in short of shipping out an equally big player at another position. Our top prospect is a center. Let's see what he's got.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
hes done.

time to move on.

JT Miller did himself no favors with that poor showing in the playoffs. He may be a solution long term, but not right now.

Others have thrown around Grabovski. I don't see a down side to him. Any other options available?

I was very against making a trade for ROR but am warming up to it. It would allow Stepan/Brass to slot properly into the 2/3c slots. Although ROR isn't elite, it would give us the closest thing we have had to a true #1C.

Staal + what for ROR? I don't think a 1 for 1 swap gets that done. Maybe the Staal of 3 years ago.

Staal + Miller for ROR + 2nd/3rd?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I'm convinced that anyone who thinks Richards was even "OK" during his time as a Ranger just never watched him in Dallas or Tampa.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You sound like 75% of the board talking about this year's team up until the spring.

With Miller as a 3C? Keep in mind, I have never been down on this team as many of our fellow posters have been. Myself and a few others were pretty constant (I'll admit I did have my doubts at one point) that we knew this team had potential. That potential won't be realized with JT Miller at C as he is still clearly not ready. He looked out of place and a step behind to me. I think the kid needs another year of seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad